News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

King West to be the next Yorkville? TIFF to make it go upscale?

I really don't see how ... unless I'm missing something ;)

Queen W 10 years ago was not much more then a collection of ... well you know! ... it's gentrification really only occurred the last 10 years or so. The point is, the Eaton center was alive and kicking when this started.

Queen W 10 years ago was not much more then a collection of ... well you know! ... it's gentrification really only occurred the last 10 years or so.

Really? Stuff like Le Chateau already existed 20+ years ago...not to mention the very beginning of Club Monaco...

Sure it did, I'm generalizing here ... clearly, there are a lot more main stream relaters on Queen W today then there were 5 years ago ...

The retail landscape in this vicinity will certainly change with the intensification of residential units - Festival Tower, m5v, Charlie....

We will see more convenience / food/ retailers popping up. That abomination to proper use of precious urban space, the LCBO, is evidence.

Really? Stuff like Le Chateau already existed 20+ years ago...not to mention the very beginning of Club Monaco...

it reminds me that 28 years ago, Toronto was so quiet and Protestant at times, after going to clubs, Mr. Greenjeans at the Eaton Centre, the Bloor Street Diner (when it was actually on Bloor Street) and the Cafe New Orleans (Yonge and St. Joseph) were about the only places to go after the bars would close at 1:00 a.m.

Ok....nice enoungh day for me to bust out my sanyo extacti and get some shots of my favorite buildingss...ill sync with mobile updates as well.. this building along with ritz mls and four seasons are my favorites....i cant wait till they have all been completed and the slow evolution that is toronto starts happening right in our faces... were going from world class to high class...just like that..

Sorry guys ... no we don't ...

I'm not talking about high end, I'm talking about super high end that is yorkville.

We can't support two large areas like this, why should we anyway!! It's perfect the way it is.

Enough with the NY comparisons , of course they can support it.

I would agree with Grey that you are too narrowly defining 'high-end'. I know lots of people with money who wouldn't be caught dead shopping in Yorkville for what they would by and large consider over-priced, pretentious schlock. The delineation of high-end in Yorkville and what is emerging as high-end in King West is not necessarily one of price point but one of taste, style and demographic. They're both high-end but for different crowds.

it reminds me that 28 years ago, Toronto was so quiet and Protestant at times, after going to clubs, Mr. Greenjeans at the Eaton Centre, the Bloor Street Diner (when it was actually on Bloor Street) and the Cafe New Orleans (Yonge and St. Joseph) were about the only places to go after the bars would close at 1:00 a.m.

Ahhh yes so much better now with all the after hours clubs... where you have a good chance of getting shot...

Yorkville is softcore couture.. King West is Hardcore Fa-sure!!

Like everyone here has stated, they both have their own merits. Both will thrieve into the future, but there is seriously way more development possibilities on the King West Strip and Entertainment District than in Yorkville. There are already way more boutique hotels there, and it's gonna get insane when Trump, Ritz, Shangri La, and TIFF get rollin'

Good point, if you were going to open up a 'cool' high-end place where would you rather be? On King near the Ritz, TIFF etc. or in Yorkville beside the Irish cashmere store? TIFF and a lot of these new projects are going to accelerate the gentrification of the area that already began years ago anyway.

Do you guys really think King West is considered an "upscale shopping district"? I wasn't even aware it had much shopping, mostly nice-ish restaurants.

In my opinion, a place with two upscale shopping districts would be New York. The notorious Fifth Avenue and Broadway along SoHo.

Do you guys really think King West is considered an "upscale shopping district"? I wasn't even aware it had much shopping, mostly nice-ish restaurants.

In my opinion, a place with two upscale shopping districts would be New York. The notorious Fifth Avenue and Broadway along SoHo.

Well, I think London's upscale shopping areas are more diverse than in NYC: Bond Street, Knightsbridge, Sloane Square, Canary Wharf among others.

This was already discussed two pages ago. This exact question. The one you are asking right now two pages later...

Back