News   Jul 26, 2024
 887     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.4K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     3 

King West to be the next Yorkville? TIFF to make it go upscale?

sam1025

Member Bio
Reaction score
This might be a bit off topic, but does anyone know if TIFF will be moving all the screenings here?.... If so, I think it might have a bit of impact on the area in terms of what stores and restaurants are built on King W!

This might be a bit off topic, but does anyone know if TIFF will be moving all the screenings here?.... If so, I think it might have a bit of impact on the area in terms of what stores and restaurants are built on King W!

They can't possibly run the whole film festival out of here, there are only five small and mid-sized cinemas here. They'll continue to use other venues such as the Elgin Wintergarden, Roy Thompson, Ryerson, AMC, Scotiabank, Isabel Bader, Varsity etc.

dt is correct. the festival will continue to be spread out across downtown venues. when TIFF group says that the lightbox will be the new home of TIFF, they mean that it will serve as a year-round headquarters and provided offices for their employees. there will be TIFF related activities and workshops when the actual festival is not on.

dt is correct. the festival will continue to be spread out across downtown venues. when TIFF group says that the lightbox will be the new home of TIFF, they mean that it will serve as a year-round headquarters and provided offices for their employees. there will be TIFF related activities and workshops when the actual festival is not on.

Except that almost all the theatres around Bloor WILL be transferring down to the LightBox (No Varsity, Isabel Bader, etc.). In my view, once Ritz/Shangri-La/Trump/550 Wellington are complete, Yorkville will completely lose any connection to TIFF.

Yorkville still has all the really posh and upscale stuff though.

Well the way King St is being built up, I'm sure many of those "posh" stores will open up near or around Tiff lightbox/King st W.

Except that almost all the theatres around Bloor WILL be transferring down to the LightBox (No Varsity, Isabel Bader, etc.). In my view, once Ritz/Shangri-La/Trump/550 Wellington are complete, Yorkville will completely lose any connection to TIFF.

Is this based on fact or conjecture?
Losing all those screens and seats at Cumberland, Varsity and Isabel Bader will have to be made up by taking up more screens at prime locations like AMC & Scotiabank cinemas which the big boys at the exhibition companies are not so crazy about. Further, AMC is limited to afternoon & evening screenings only due to Ryerson using the complex in the mornings.

even if yorkville loses all of its screenings, it will still play a prominent role in TIFF festivities. it has so many hotels that stars have already come accustomed too. the restaurant scene there is also unparalleled in toronto concerning richness. king will defintiely become a hotbed, but yorkville has a lasting reputation...especially for pampered stars.

So true. Who would want a charming, human-scaled environment with individual shopfronts on multiple planes, all the result of many years of urban layering when you could have bland, corporatized, insta-architecture with dry cleaners and convenience stores in the base?

So true. Who would want a charming, human-scaled environment with individual shopfronts on multiple planes, all the result of many years of urban layering when you could have bland, corporatized, insta-architecture with dry cleaners and convenience stores in the base?

Exactly! Who would still want to go to check out the dozens of nice shops and restaurants and cafes of Yorkville when we have all the new developments happening along King West....nothing epitomizes the new King West like "The Score"...you're so right, Nebakenezer! :rolleyes:

Don't hold your breath.

So a Ritz Carlton, Trump Hotel, and Shangri La... plus the Film festival will not be enough to lure designer brands to king street? Give me a break.

King Street was already on the "up and up" before all these hotels even began construction.. lots of young rich media types are already making it home.. for business and pleasure.. the addition of uber-rich outtatowners will just take it further upmarket from here. Might be a little to much to resist for the Ultrabrand-European retailers to resist...

I'm not sure that it's necessarily the case that one neighbourhood can only benefit at the expense of another similarly situated neighbourhood. King West will certainly become an even livelier place with increased dining and retail, but that in no way spells the end of Yorkville. A city of Toronto's stature should be able to accommodate multiple areas of this type.

Back