News   May 13, 2024
 118     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 557     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 639     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

That is not good.

It should be crystal clear to drivers that they must turn right, with no other option. The backup of cars will cause exactly the problem we want to avoid; blocking the intersection for multiple light cycles for streetcars.

At this point, maybe the City should install signs that say "YOU CANNOT GO STRAIGHT; TURN RIGHT F***WITS".
Clearly this city has no posted signs about how King Street works. It would be a major confusion for people unfamiliar. They expect immigrants to know about the streetcar corridor announced from 2017 when they just arrived last year. They know they can't go straight but they do it anyways just to not get lost and circle around in traffic (which could be 15+ minutes lost to traffic).

Then there are people are just ignorant. I would love to walk by those idiot with a microphone tell them they are an dumbf***s. It would be better to is outright ban cars on King. Especially rush hour.

Would this help? Make it more explicit that it is a right turn lane only, except for transit vehicles and bicycles? Maybe the average driver isn't smart enough to gather that no left turn and no through means one must turn right.

1714350911172.png

There needs to be focus on telling the drivers what to do, not all the myriad of things they cannot do. Red light telling them they can't go, signs with lots of words telling them other things they can't do, lights that say these aren't lights for you... but no focus on saying "you must turn right". If you are walking down the sidewalk and someone says "you can't go this way" you will become (a) irritated, and (b) confused trying to figure out your next move. If someone says "you need turn here and follow this walkway" then you are not as irritated nor confused.

If the traffic rules say the signage there is the right signage... time to change the rules ASAP. These rules would have elevator buttons that say "not down" and "not floors other than 5".

Would this help? Make it more explicit that it is a right turn lane only, except for transit vehicles and bicycles? Maybe the average driver isn't smart enough to gather that no left turn and no through means one must turn right.

View attachment 559900
Yes those signs should absolutely be there. I thought they were already included in the original plan but looking at Streetview at University I don't see any. In which case they should be added ASAP

There needs to be focus on telling the drivers what to do, not all the myriad of things they cannot do.
Absolutely. If possible, an illuminated sign showing right turn only, and no through traffic. Though I’d be ok with any sign that was proven effective.

I think it’d be easier to have this sign if we restricted taxis from through traffic.

Absolutely. If possible, an illuminated sign showing right turn only, and no through traffic. Though I’d be ok with any sign that was proven effective.

I think it’d be easier to have this sign if we restricted taxis from through traffic.
There are already illuminated signs saying no thru traffic.
Screenshot_20240429-075000.png

Clearly I am blind.
Yes, and no. There is FAR too much 'clutter" and I am not surprised that drivers who are trying to navigate the traffic are confused. To be effective, signs need to be VERY clear and not have exceptions (like the taxi one on King).

Last edited:
Clearly this city has no posted signs about how King Street works. It would be a major confusion for people unfamiliar. They expect immigrants to know about the streetcar corridor announced from 2017 when they just arrived last year. They know they can't go straight but they do it anyways just to not get lost and circle around in traffic (which could be 15+ minutes lost to traffic).

Then there are people are just ignorant. I would love to walk by those idiot with a microphone tell them they are an dumbf***s. It would be better to is outright ban cars on King. Especially rush hour.

In no way should people be expected to know all of the special rules that govern individual streets in the province. Imagine driving in another city, and having to read up on all of the traffic rules that are special. No, what's needed is clear and consistent sign-age, which is made easier by removing exceptions, many of the other suggestions noted here regarding separate transit lights, and street design (also made easier if no exceptions need to be made), I'm thinking something like the big grooves on the Queen's Quay right of way before the tunnel.

The other part of the puzzle is enforcement. But, not only at King St. There needs to be consistent enforcement in the entire city (better yet, province), for blocking the box. Otherwise drivers will be like, hey, I do this every day in my part of town, how come I'm getting a ticket on this special street? I bet spending money on enforcement (handing out actual tickets, not some informational campaign) everywhere but King St would do a lot of improve the situation on King St.

Otherwise, we're stuck with traffic wardens forever, and the problems will come back immediately after they're gone, which will happen eventually, due to change of government, or something else.

I think it’s time to just ban parking on King from Bathurst to Jarvis if not beyond and then rip out the concrete from the tracks and make it clear that it’s a tramway. Local use only can use the right curb lane.

Back