News   Jun 28, 2024
 3K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 610     1 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

not to beat a dead horse here, but just another data point that more US cities/counties are now doing automated enforcement. Really befuddles me why the police wouldn't want the additional revenue to justify their budget increases.

not to beat a dead horse here, but just another data point that more US cities/counties are now doing automated enforcement. Really befuddles me why the police wouldn't want the additional revenue to justify their budget increases.

The fines do not go to the police so added $$$ are not an enticement but it IS puzzling why the City & TTC (who pressed the Province to allow camera enforcement) have yet to actually install any (??) cameras on streetcars!

Because believe it or not, speed cameras lose money on operations. The fines are not high enough to offset operating costs of administering fines and appeals. I don't imagine cameras like these would fare any better.

Red Light Cameras are generally profitable as they have significantly higher fines, so they have proliferated much faster.

Because believe it or not, speed cameras lose money on operations. The fines are not high enough to offset operating costs of administering fines and appeals. I don't imagine cameras like these would fare any better.

Red Light Cameras are generally profitable as they have significantly higher fines, so they have proliferated much faster.
Though one clearly needs to look at cost and revenue figures, red light or streetcar cameras are NOT (primarily) aimed at raising revenue. They are there to ensure motorists obey the law and avoid killing themselves or others. Just because streetcar cameras might (and I am far from sure you are right) cost more than they bring in does not take account of the time lost by passengers while a streetcar is blocked by a poorly parked vehicle or the cost of death and injury.

Though one clearly needs to look at cost and revenue figures, red light or streetcar cameras are NOT (primarily) aimed at raising revenue. They are there to ensure motorists obey the law and avoid killing themselves or others. Just because streetcar cameras might (and I am far from sure you are right) cost more than they bring in does not take account of the time lost by passengers while a streetcar is blocked by a poorly parked vehicle or the cost of death and injury.

Indeed - it isn't like police enforcement of speed limits raises revenues to the point of reaching breakeven either.

AoD

I don't disagree.

However, when they carry significant operating costs, it makes it more challenging to implement as it requires dedicated funding streams to implement and operate. And in that sense, it has to fight against other funding priorities which makes it tougher to do.

Speed Cameras have not been widely implemented in Ontario, especially outside of Toronto, largely because each camera costs hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to operate. Toronto has decided to spend this money so has proliferated them fairly extensively in the city. This is not the case as much in other municipalities where priorities differ.

I don't disagree.

However, when they carry significant operating costs, it makes it more challenging to implement as it requires dedicated funding streams to implement and operate. And in that sense, it has to fight against other funding priorities which makes it tougher to do.

Speed Cameras have not been widely implemented in Ontario, especially outside of Toronto, largely because each camera costs hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to operate. Toronto has decided to spend this money so has proliferated them fairly extensively in the city. This is not the case as much in other municipalities where priorities differ.
All budget items (national, municipal, personal) must compete for $$. Of course it makes more sense to install a red light camera at a busy intersection in downtown Toronto than at a virtually untravelled one in some rural municipality. One size does not fit all.

All budget items (national, municipal, personal) must compete for $$. Of course it makes more sense to install a red light camera at a busy intersection in downtown Toronto than at a virtually untravelled one in some rural municipality. One size does not fit all.
Somewhat unrelated but I remember several years ago the city doubled the number of red light cameras (I'm assuming they do have some fact based basis on where they put them)
The reaction of Blogto and other outlets was RED LIGHT OFFENCES DOUBLED! as if behavior had changed at all.

I've never seen this outside of scarbrough but a small intersection has not one but TWO cameras funnily enough!

lights.PNG

Back