News   Apr 16, 2024
 275     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 711     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 485     3 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

Have you seen the cars on the road that's already happened.

I feel so many people here are detached from reality. Nobody gives a shit about your personal safety, the police don't, other drivers don't, the only person looking after you all the time is yourself. You gotta be vigilant.
Lol okay. This is why I only take Uber XLs. Feel super safe in the tanks they drive.

What this has to do with King is beyond me.

Anyways. Tried to be a good person and took the King car today. Water main problems turned a 30 minute trip into 60.

Safe to say i am in a comfy Lincoln on the way back.

• Haha
Reactions: T3G
You know there are entire radio stations dedicated to tell you every 10 minutes, 24 hours a day, just where the road network is not working? It’s not like driving in a Lincoln is a magic bullet, especially if you need to drive it on Adelaide (for example).

You know there are entire radio stations dedicated to tell you every 10 minutes, 24 hours a day, just where the road network is not working? It’s not like driving in a Lincoln is a magic bullet, especially if you need to drive it on Adelaide (for example).
lol who uses radio anymore

anyways - I walked by many who didn't also know the King car wasn't running on the way to take the subway so clearly I'm not the only one. However, I did let them know because I volunteer for the TTC now apparently.

Also, an Uber on a Sunday is a 20-25 minute ride across town vs a 40min - 1 hr three transfer ride to go from downtown east to Chinatown on the TTC. How embarrassing.

anyways - I walked by many who didn't also know the King car wasn't running on the way to take the subway so clearly I'm not the only one. However, I did let them know because I volunteer for the TTC now apparently.

Also, an Uber on a Sunday is a 20-25 minute ride across town vs a 40min - 1 hr three transfer ride to go from downtown east to Chinatown on the TTC. How embarrassing.
People who drive could (and probably should) listen to the radio for at least 15 minutes so they get their "Real world" info if they are too lazy to check traffic conditions ahead of time. Instead of blasting music, end up in a traffic jam and start road raging and overtaking on sidewalks and creating near collisions.

People who drive could (and probably should) listen to the radio for at least 15 minutes so they get their "Real world" info if they are too lazy to check traffic conditions ahead of time. Instead of blasting music, end up in a traffic jam and start road raging and overtaking on sidewalks and creating near collisions.
Isn't that what Waze is for? Some use Waze for the road conditions, route selection, and then turn it off to listen to their playlist.

Reactions: PL1

King really should have some info screens at stops.

Doesn't modern mapping apps do a much better job then listening to a buzzy AM news voice dude rattle off a series of intersections that are slow?

King really should have some info screens at stops.
In this day of technology, there is no reasons other than cost not having real time posted at the busiest stop as to when X will arrive along with the next 2 in real time, not supposed posted schedule. Doing this gives the rider a few options as what to do next. In some cases, keep walking to where they want to go to; go get something to eat or drink or wait it out well bitching about the poor service, It would be nice to see why x is taking so long to come to the point it time they point the finger at what the real cause is and who causing it. Saying x is held up due to an accident, breakdown or an waterline break will help the rider why their transportation is late when it maybe beyond TTC control.

Some Shelters have the real time info, but far apart for them.

Some systems in the US and Europe have real time info to the point there is an countdown clock for the arrival of x, well the rest is wait and see when X will show up. Some apps for phones have schedules for the next vehicle, but most are based on posted schedule, not where X is or when it will arrive in real time. Not everyone has a cell phone or wants to pull it out to see where X is.

I walked from Sherbourne to York this morning and was passed by a total of 3 buses, none of which I could practically have gotten on with a toddler because they were packed. What a mess. We ran into a friend from our daycare at the corner as we were leaving, and we made it there 10 minutes faster than they did, even though we walked the whole way with a stroller.

The elderly or mentally challenged do not have the luxury of quick reaction times, or weaving in and out of traffic like a cat. I don't care for any urbanist vision that doesn't take these groups into account.
Drivers should be sensible and safe ... but there comes a point where the elderly and mentally challenged should not be driving. Particularly in an urban area with plenty of other options.

Drivers should be sensible and safe ... but there comes a point where the elderly and mentally challenged should not be driving. Particularly in an urban area with plenty of other options.
I'm not talking about those groups driving.

The post I quoted made reference to how pedestrians need to watch out for themselves. I countered by saying that these groups do not have the luxury of quick reaction times that allows them to cross traffic safe.

Not that allowing drivers to behave like hapless bozos would be acceptable even if we were all able bodied and of sound mind. Apparently it's "detached from reality" to want safe, walkable streets where you don't have to be on your guard 24/7.

I'm not talking about those groups driving.

The post I quoted made reference to how pedestrians need to watch out for themselves. I countered by saying that these groups do not have the luxury of quick reaction times that allows them to cross traffic safe.

Not that allowing drivers to behave like hapless bozos would be acceptable even if we were all able bodied and of sound mind. Apparently it's "detached from reality" to want safe, walkable streets where you don't have to be on your guard 24/7.
Ah, I misunderstood!

Yes, absolutely (though I'm always surprised that the medical community isn't more hardline of lifting licences to people who are clearly no longer suitable to drive - or how someone who is developmentally delayed and has major anger or functional issues can ever be licenced!)

Doesn't modern mapping apps do a much better job then listening to a buzzy AM news voice dude rattle off a series of intersections that are slow?
They do if you can look at the bigger picture. But once you are driving, the lack of context of the unexpected "get off here" isn't that useful. Google Maps is very useful though if I'm the navigator ... but not an option for those driving solo.

Personally, I stick on 680 and catch a couple of traffic reports if I'm trying to drive out of (or into) Toronto. If there's a developing situation, it's much easier to just go a completely different way early, rather than try and navigate on surface streets following the app.

lol who drives anymore? :)

Back