News   Apr 25, 2024
 32     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 336     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 642     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

They do if you can look at the bigger picture. But once you are driving, the lack of context of the unexpected "get off here" isn't that useful. Google Maps is very useful though if I'm the navigator ... but not an option for those driving solo.

Personally, I stick on 680 and catch a couple of traffic reports if I'm trying to drive out of (or into) Toronto. If there's a developing situation, it's much easier to just go a completely different way early, rather than try and navigate on surface streets following the app.

lol who drives anymore? :)
I listen to a podcast rather than AM newsradio. Google maps tells you the time delta of key divergence points. Do I need to know it is due to a watermain repair or a clown convention, not really.

I listen to a podcast rather than AM newsradio. Google maps tells you the time delta of key divergence points. Do I need to know it is due to a watermain repair or a clown convention, not really.
Well, I don't leave it on 680. But I want a rough idea what's going on as I approach the city after 2-hour straight of driving

From Waze at 2:59 PM

1674503980503.png

Suggestion... walk.

Not that the traffic on Adelaide would have been a treat for our friend in a Lincoln.
Hey there. Want some PB with that jelly? Joke aside, the cars find alternative routes vs the busses and streetcars that just mouth breath in traffic.

Fact is the TTC doesn’t really understand the point of transit is to get from A to B and not just stall uncontrollably or randomly short turn and not inform anyone of anything.

The fact this thread is talking about using car traffic apps instead of priority transit lanes shows how much of a failure this whole project as become.

Hey there. Want some PB with that jelly? Joke aside, the cars find alternative routes vs the busses and streetcars that just mouth breath in traffic.

Fact is the TTC doesn’t really understand the point of transit is to get from A to B and not just stall uncontrollably or randomly short turn and not inform anyone of anything.

The fact this thread is talking about using car traffic apps instead of priority transit lanes shows how much of a failure this whole project as become.
And points (streetcar stops) between A and B. If a streetcar or bus is unable to get to a streetcar/bus stop, they have to provide information that says that, the sooner the better.

This is why the streetcar (subway, lrt) need detour tracks, crossovers, short turn loops, etc. to get around problems.

Last edited:
And points (streetcar stops) between A and B. If a streetcar or bus is unable to get to a streetcar/bus stop, they have to provide information that says that, the sooner the better.

This is why the streetcar (subway, lrt) need detour tracks, crossovers, short turn loops, etc. to get around problems.
The world in general and transit 'trackage' in particular are not either black or white. Yes one needs diversion tracks and loops but you will NEVER have enough to deal with every eventuality. While I agree the TTC could do with a few more curves and even a bit more track in places, money is not unlimited and is probably best spent on better maintenance so that things like the King/University mess are far less common. The water main is apparently 140 years old..

The world in general and transit 'trackage' in particular are not either black or white. Yes one needs diversion tracks and loops but you will NEVER have enough to deal with every eventuality. While I agree the TTC could do with a few more curves and even a bit more track in places, money is not unlimited and is probably best spent on better maintenance so that things like the King/University mess are far less common. The water main is apparently 140 years old..

Adelaide had streetcar tracks from Bathurst, but was a two-way street until the Don Valley was opened. If Adelaide is to remain a one-way street, then Richmond needs to have streetcar tracks to Bathurst. That way there will be detour tracks in the downtown.

Last edited:
Adelaide had streetcar tracks from Bathurst, but was a two-way street until the Don Valley was opened. If Adelaide is to remain a two-way street, then Richmond needs to have streetcar tracks to Bathurst. That way there will be detour tracks in the downtown.
I am a VERY occasional driver but I think you need to remember that there ARE drivers and many (if not all) need to drive.

The one ways on Richmond and Adelaide are probably permanent but having tracks both going all the way from Church to Spadina and MAYBE Bathurst might be enough. (i.e. add track on Richmond from York to Spadina (or maybe Bathurst) and maybe on Adelaide from Spadina to Bathurst. Not sure if taking both to Bathurst is necessary.

Then, if York was made both ways from King to Queen, this would create a much better looping arrangement (current plans only make York two ways for streetcars south from Queen to Adelaide.)

Perfection (whatever that is) is not possible but with a bit of thought (and not too much money) it could be SO much better. Just looking at south of Dundas.

EAST-WEST: King & Queen (both east & west) and Adelaide (east) and Richmond (west) for the east-west streets all the way from Church to Spadina. Add curves etc at all junctions.
Wellington east to west only from Church to York.
NORTH-SOUTH. Parliament, Church, York, Spadina and Bathurst for all north/south with n-s also on Victoria from Adelaide to Dundas. Add sb track on York from Adelaide to King.

Last edited:
The 504/503 buses have gotten a lot better over three days. This morning was almost painless. Not as good as normal streetcar service, but they’re coping.
And yet I walked along King from John to River Street last night at 6:30 p.m.; not a single bus passed me on the way.

And yet I walked along King from John to River Street last night at 6:30 p.m.; not a single bus passed me on the way.
They aren't running 503 buses between John and Bay, In a 25-minute walk, along 503 that takes 13 minutes, that only runs every 12 minutes, you'd only expect to see one or two buses. A single missing bus could explain that.

Should have seen a 504 bus though. How many 504 streetcars passed you?

There could be anomalies to explain that gap, but King St was basically a parade of buses this morning at 8:30. The toddler was in heaven.

They aren't running 503 buses between John and Bay, In a 25-minute walk, along 503 that takes 13 minutes, that only runs every 12 minutes, you'd only expect to see one or two buses. A single missing bus could explain that.

Should have seen a 504 bus though. How many 504 streetcars passed you?
Nothing passed me. No streetcar or bus. I'm sure it was just bad luck and the bad weather, but it was a dismal walk home.

Back