News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 452     0 

John Street Roundhouse: Toronto Railway Heritage Centre, Steam Whistle, The Rec Room

Would a logo change/modification be part of the rebranding?

Anyway, what next, I wonder...Giant Tiger on the Colonial Tavern site...

"Oh please. Sacred how, exactly?"

In the context of historic Toronto buildings, particluarly a roundhouse (a unique structure in NA) on a prime site near the waterfront and other attractions. It is asinine to permit it to be turned over to a box furniture store.

you can't put an oval logo on a round house.
Would a logo change/modification be part of the rebranding?
I don't want to see Leon's at the roundhouse. Somehow I just don't see how it fits there. I definitely wouldn't want to see their big yellow logo plastered onto a historic building like the roundhouse.
Geez people, read the article!

"They're looking at a new image, new kinds of signage, looking to appeal to the upscale downtown condo market.

Who says big and yellow?

Remember that Winners toned down its look when it took over the Chapters spot on Bloor...

Restaurants would be the best, but what can ya do? If our councillor doesn't know anything about it, what chances are there to change it?

I'm not disappointed by this. Frankly, the Roundhouse is a hard sell, being crescent shaped and large. We have too many small special interest museums that are lightly patroned and badly thought out. Remember the Torch? As long as they hold Leon's to certain design guidelines within the historic building, I say bring it on.
I dare say I sort of agree. Or at least I look at this situation quite similar to how I view Loblaws in Maple Leaf Gardens. Perhaps not the ideal of ideal tenants, but a good 25+ year tenant for the site. If we can't find something culturally significant to make a successful go at it (I.E. railway museum, hockey museum, etc.) than why not a successful retailer that will bring people into the building while respecting the historic significance of the place?

My problem is that Leon's isn't known for being a sympathetic urban retailer while Loblaws has a track record (St. Clair West, Dupont/Christie, QQ East) of stores that can fit reasonably well and has shown a commitment.

Leon's is big box suburban stores, "Ho, Ho, Hold the Payments TM" and other crass marketing. I will eat my words if they do a good job, I just haven't seen anything to this point that would make me think otherwise.

Leon's is big box suburban stores, "Ho, Ho, Hold the Payments TM" and other crass marketing. I will eat my words if they do a good job, I just haven't seen anything to this point that would make me think otherwise.
I actually think Leon's marketing is quite clever compared to most, but that's another story. Indeed, their stores are suburban goliaths, but it seems they are looking to change that (at least downtown) and as long as they are true to their word, than I'm sort of o.k. with it. Sort of.

I would withhold final judgement until actually seeing it, but the first reaction is that a rather major job of "rebranding" would have to be done to get past the somewhat tacky, bargain-basement image which Leon's has fostered over the years. It ain't no UpCountry, that's for sure, and I wonder what reception they will get in the downtown market.

Mods: move this thread to Toronto Issues?
Hard call this one really. It could be argued its home should be "Out & About" or even "Buildings & Architecture." I'm thinking though that right now (at least) it's more "Toronto Issues," so I'll move it their pending another mode feeling otherwise.

"Oh please. Sacred how, exactly?"

In the context of historic Toronto buildings, particluarly a roundhouse (a unique structure in NA) on a prime site near the waterfront and other attractions. It is asinine to permit it to be turned over to a box furniture store.

So it's better that it should sit empty because nothing that meets your exalted standards wants to rent the space?

Back