News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 452     0 

John Street Roundhouse: Toronto Railway Heritage Centre, Steam Whistle, The Rec Room

Leon's outlet bound for the roundhouse

Toronto Star On-Line

Councillor, tenant shocked at proposal to sell discount furniture in downtown heritage building

Jun 11, 2007 04:30 AM
Donovan Vincent
city hall bureau

Plans to have a Leon's furniture store operating in Toronto's historic roundhouse train facility come as a complete shock to Adam Vaughan, councillor for the area.

"My first reaction is `a Leon's? That's the best use for a unique part of our rail history in the rail lands?'" he said Friday, after learning of the plans earlier in the week.

"It's big box retail coming into the downtown core through the back door,'' added Vaughan (Ward 20, Trinity-Spadina).

No deal has been signed yet, but it appears there won't be much he, or anyone else, will be able to do to stop the discount furniture chain from moving into the heritage-protected facility on Bremner Blvd., across from the Rogers Centre.

That's because the city owns the roughly 90,000-square-foot facility. But in 2002, a consortium that included what was then Olympia & York submitted a successful proposal in answer to a city request.

The developers wanted to have the Headline Sports television network set up shop in the roundhouse, but those plans fell through.

The consortium, which now includes State Developments (Toronto) and Arcturus Realty (formerly O & Y), has since decided to pursue the project with Leon's.

The developers and Leon's weren't commenting last week.

The popular Steam Whistle brewery has been operating in the roundhouse since 2000 and would be a co-tenant.

A new long-term lease would net the city more than $4 million – excluding property taxes – from Leon's and Steam Whistle.

The new tenants would also pay for the restoration and reinstallation of the roundtable, a massive structure outside the building once used to rotate and position locomotives into the roundhouse stalls for servicing and repairs.

Steam Whistle co-owner Cam Heaps, who also learned of the plans to bring in Leon's last week, said he doesn't believe the retailer would make a suitable co-tenant.

"I think the difference is (Steam Whistle) has an art gallery, and event space that supports over 100 charities a year, a tour facility open to the public to highlight the history of the building and history of making beer...

"Walking through and looking at dinettes and leather couches is a very different type of concept.''

Heaps criticized city hall's culture office, which supports the plan. "What's scary is the culture department actually defends Leon's as a culturally sensitive tenant,'' he said.

Department executive director Rita Davies said she's been assured Leon's, whom the city isn't dealing with directly, will maintain the building's "historical ambience.''

"It's a family firm about to celebrate their 100th anniversary in 2009. They are looking for an opportunity to rebrand themselves. The heritage link, which the roundhouse provides, is very important to them,'' Davies said.

"They're looking at a new image, new kinds of signage, looking to appeal to the upscale downtown condo market.

"What we're interested in is making sure the integrity of the heritage building is maintained. We're happy with what we heard about that."

Davies argued this is "not a big box store coming in,'' and noted that an agreement will see a "ton of money'' going into the rehabilitation of the roundhouse.

Ugh. Leon's.

I thought it was going to be the railway museum and Steam Whistle (who have proven to be a model tenant for a structure such as this) who were going to be the sole occupants.

A broadcast studio versus a corporate, cheap furniture store with no money down until 2010 - what a nice bait-and-switch.

I'm not disappointed by this. Frankly, the Roundhouse is a hard sell, being crescent shaped and large. We have too many small special interest museums that are lightly patroned and badly thought out. Remember the Torch? As long as they hold Leon's to certain design guidelines within the historic building, I say bring it on.

What makes no sense is why Leon's would want to be here. The only parking there is underground and I can't imagine they would be happy with that. They'd probably want more parking and looking at the site there is no room for it unless they were to take over the park.

I still don't understand why they can't just divide it up and put all sorts of restaurants in there. Create a large inner patio and it could become the most popular area for sportsbars in the city. With that condo proposal where Gretzky's is, why not open a new restaurant here.

I would have preferred a restaurant in that location. I am not sure how much space is available in the current roundhouse, but it just doesnt seem large enough to house both the Steamwhistle brewery AND a Leons.

A known restaurant would work well on that site. There could be tie ins with Steamwhistle (their beer served in the restaurant, the restaurant preparing the food for events at Steamwhistle). There is the outdoor turning pad - which is screaming to be fixed up - to turn into an outdoor patio. High traffic in the area between the Skydome and ACC would ensure that there are patrons. The only close competitor is St. Louis Bar and Grill in HVE. That area is lacking restaurants considering there are 2 major sporting venues and a tonne of condos close by. Front street, although full of restaurants, is too cut off (at least in a visual way) from this area.

I agree with Hipster that this should not be a small museum.

A restaurant would be much better. Even a chain like The Keg has proven itself interested and able to use historic structures (a good example is the CP London Station). Orangeville has a great little restaurant in its old railway station, and there are countless other examples. Why wouldn't Leon's, if it were trying to re-establish its image, go for King East, King West, Portlands or say Castlefield area instead, established areas for mid to high market furniture stores?

What's the difference between Leon's at the Roundhouse and DeBoers in the old Eatons space on College. If they think they can sell furniture there, good luck to them.

Completely bizarre. I really don't understand why something more thoughtful can't be done with this unique heritage property. It's just screaming for something inventive, pariclulary in such a prime tourist locale. I like Jayomatics idea, although not particularly unique- it is certainly more appropriate than a box store chain. Geez what next.. a grocery store for maple leaf gardens?

What makes no sense is why Leon's would want to be here.
because...

"It's a family firm about to celebrate their 100th anniversary in 2009. They are looking for an opportunity to rebrand themselves. The heritage link, which the roundhouse provides, is very important to them,'' Davies said.

"They're looking at a new image, new kinds of signage, looking to appeal to the upscale downtown condo market.

What's scary is the culture department actually defends Leon's as a culturally sensitive tenant

every so often, the City of Toronto is kind enough to remind us that they are a band of nitwits and lunatics, bankrupt in their thinking, and breathtakingly ignorant in their pronouncements....

This one must win a prize for most stupid plan, ever.

The roundhouse is sacred ground....:mad:

What makes no sense is why Leon's would want to be here. The only parking there is underground and I can't imagine they would be happy with that. They'd probably want more parking and looking at the site there is no room for it unless they were to take over the park.

I still don't understand why they can't just divide it up and put all sorts of restaurants in there. Create a large inner patio and it could become the most popular area for sportsbars in the city. With that condo proposal where Gretzky's is, why not open a new restaurant here.

Great idea, I agree.

I don't want to see Leon's at the roundhouse. Somehow I just don't see how it fits there. I definitely wouldn't want to see their big yellow logo plastered onto a historic building like the roundhouse.

Mods: move this thread to Toronto Issues?

Back