News   May 09, 2024
 487     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 809     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 544     0 

Hyatt Regency Toronto Airport (Regal Constellation site)

Well... Hi everybody! "Guru" would be me. :) Thanks to my friend Iain for pointing this forum and thread out to me.

I am a self-declared fanatic about the Constellation Hotel. As slickpete (I know you from Facebook, right?) said, I used to be there every year for a convention, and we were there the weekend it was closing, so we went exploring... And found all kinds of cool passages and hidden hallways and whatnot. I started researching the history of the hotel, and even made contact with one of the original builder/owners, who is now retired and living in downtown Toronto. I put up a website on the old icomm isp - which, sadly, shut down all their free accounts without warning. And stupid me, I had no complete backup of the site. So I lost most of it. Though most of it can be found in the internet archive at http://web.archive.org/web/20050123095058/corsaont.icomm.ca/constellation/ - I just haven't had the time and enough free server space to put it all back together and online again. I really should though, given the new interest in the hotel coming from the new demolition activity.

As noted at my more recent "quick and dirty" site that I have up at http://guru.exrica.com/Regal/, I did attend the auction when the new owners were trying to raise money to fund the demolition, and I was able to obtain a sh*tload of hotel memorabilia, including a lot of the old photos and stuff that slickpete mentioned. The stuff is now taking up most of my basement. :)

What makes the site so amazing, to me, is that it's all based around a Motel that was built in the 1960s - and the base of the smallest tower is STILL the same building that was the core of that motel, while everything else (including the "cheese grater" tower") was built around it over the decades. So as you walk through the bowels of the hotel, you keep finding things that have been there since the 1960s, some unchanged, some "adapted". For example, one of the original restaurants was changed into the staff cafeteria. Another example is the "freight elevator to nowhere" near the wine cellar, that serves a loading dock that no longer has outside access.

To answer a few things that have been noted here:

- The HIG announcement is very obsolete. After that went out, HIG sold the property to another company, and that company ended up renegging on a lot of the signed contracts with the companies that were supposed to come into the hotel, including Wolfgang Puck's restaurant. They sued. There was lots of legal action - which, since the court records were all public, made everything easy to follow for a while. Finally, they reached a settlement, and then the new deal with Hyatt was signed.

- When I approached the heritage society about the hotel, I was basically told that it "wasn't old enough for anybody to care about it". The impression I got was that 1960s architecture - even something as unique as this (it is one of only 2 remaining buildings in the world by the architect in question, whose name escapes me now) was of no interest to them.

- We were told for years that the International Tower (aka the cheese grater tower - you guys call it the west tower, but in fact that's how they refer to the other tower next to it) was closed due to asbestos. We've since learned that was a lie. According to the original owner, the tower was closed because it wasn't making enough money to pay for its maintenance, because the distinctive angles had severe water leakage issues. Furthermore, the tower was built with no kitchen facilities and no back access to the kitchens in the other parts of the hotel, making the lounge at the top floor of the tower difficult to serve food in.

- The original owner was able to provide me with all kinds of photos of celebs from the 60s and 70s at the hotel, including prime ministers Trudeau and Pearson. He still has a special registry book that was used for celebrities.

All for now,
Andrew

Hey Guru, very interesting stuff, and welcome to the forum...

Thank you for all the info.

When was the International Tower closed? That's a very interesting (and understandable) reason why that part was closed early on. I'm sure it must have been a fun place to explore, with all the additions and mis-matches, much like some of the downtown hospitals.

Hi Sean

I don't have my notes handy, but from memory I believe it was closed some time around 1990. Crazy thing is that the majority of the tower is still furnished, and a lot was furnished as it had been in the 60s and 70s. For example, check out these relatively recent pics of the lounge at the top floor of that tower:

http://www.guru.exrica.com/Constellation/37791.jpg
http://www.guru.exrica.com/Constellation/37793.jpg

Can you imagine something like that sitting there, inaccessbible to the public for 17 years or so?

Anyhow, here's another image that might be of interest: An ad for the opening of the hotel from 1962, in which you can see how it all originally looked. Enjoy!

http://www.guru.exrica.com/Constellation/op1.jpg

Thanks,
Andrew

For those that didn't hit the link, these are quite something...

37791.jpg

37793.jpg

BTW, I suspect if the "cheese grater" were downtown T.O. it would have been saved.

Welcome to UT Guru!

Wow - that room was over-the-top? Was it at the top? What year was that decorated I wonder...

Moorish Bordello was a hot look in the '70s. Koutoubia - a big and very popular disco in that hotel that used to be just north of City Hall - was perhaps the best local example. I think the barmaids used to dress the part too.

Memories of Cosntelleation

I remember going to this hotel many times as a child and young adult. In the mid 70's through 80's most often stayed in the main tower. We spent much time snooping around the hotel. We would take the elevator down to the basement and walk through the various halls making our way to the pool. I always had wondered what that club looked like on the inside. Many times we would walk to the top of the stairs and the last level the stairway was carpeted to match the club. I have many great memories of the hotel(especially the indoor/outdoor pool). Would have loved to have brought my kids there as they love swimming. Some great picks out there. I'm not sure if anyone posted this link but here are some sad but interesting pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/phrenzee/RegalConstellationHotel

Jeff Trunzo
Niagara Falls, NY

BTW, I suspect if the "cheese grater" were downtown T.O. it would have been saved.

Well, it's obviously more likely. But to some extent, it would also have had a better chance--if not of being "saved", at least of being "noticed" and "acknowledged"--were it located elsewhere in Etobicoke, even; let's say, somewhere around the Six Points/Cloverdale axis, or even (in an appropriate "Miami Beach" spirit) along the lakefront.

Remember: it's not just in Etobicoke, it's along the Airport Strip, which has *forever* been a free-enterprise-zone sort of place. There's no community to engage to it; there's no community it engages to. (Even Inn On The Park was more "community-engaged".) It's in sprawly limbo. So at best, the cheese grater has been a period curio passed by en route to or from the airport; and as for the time-capsule interior, it was basically unknown and uncommunicated outside the realm of urban exploration and its like. Here, it's like Vegas; exquisite old crocks like this are made to be imploded, not to be preserved. Market economics, etc. Historical societies? They're out of their depth and out of their element re stuff like this, at least until some creative urban explorationists infiltrate their world of geezers and biddies and sleepies. At most, they might celebrate the Constellation through an exhibition at Montgomery's Inn or something, I guess...

I remember going to the Constellation for many a political convention. It always seemed so vast. I'm sad that I didn't go up there to take one last look before it shut down. I'm so happy I was able to do that at the Inn on the Park.

Awesome thread Guys !!!!!!!!! great to see the Photos

my memories of the Constellation during my employeement there

NHL;Don Cherry , Steve Larmer, Doug Gilmour

-Concerts that were held in the Constellation Ballroom include bands like
Blue Rodeo ,Apirl Wine , David Wilcox ,Kim Mitchell
Jann Arden , Chantal Kreviazuk ,
most of the during the Ontario Truckers Association conventions
i used the have all the ticket studs from the concerts ,
took a photo of them and sent them to Guru , but now his website got deleted : (

-big Liberal party conventions ;Paul Martin ,Jean Chrétien

-Alaince Party meetings include Stephen Harper when we was the leader of the party

- i remember viewing a concpet model of the famous "IPOD"
something like 2 year before it even came out , during some IT/Tech convention

that's all i can remember now

Back