News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 601     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Hyatt Regency Toronto Airport (Regal Constellation site)

I would also hate to see the West Tower demolished, and kind the windows and the big red Regal Constellation sign. That building seemed to be closed we got to the kinds of hotel towers built in Las Vegas in the 1950s and 1960s, before the themed mega-towers there.

^^So in other words its abandoned, or at least it has been left to fall apart by the owners. And I am sure even if it were in better shape, they would still insist on building a new building.

p5

Yes. The entire complex has been abandoned for about 4 years now. The West Tower longer (Found stuff with the date '92 on it, but I can't put an exact date on it.)

normal_15110002.jpg

normal_15110007.jpg

Image Credit

^^Those shots are great-especially the first one. Still I find it a shame that there is no way of possibly saving or renovating this place.

p5

In addition to being on my way to work, I remember going to Toronto Trek conventions at the Regal Constellation.

The parking garage in the back has been demolished as has about half of one of the smaller wings behind the West Tower.

Here's a picture of the garage and later the building being knocked down.

2040836124_e567247d61.jpg

2139702823_24b502dd58.jpg

This is another loss of distinctive post-war design in suburban Toronto. It's not as unfortunate as the Bata Headquarters, but it was a building that added a lot of character to an area dominated by forgettable architecture.

At least the new building will provide employment.

preliminary rendering found by metroboi nay over at SSC....not bad, looks kind of euro....

hyatttorontoairport.jpg

^ That pic no workie.

A huge shame about this awesome tower, I always notice it when in the area, and as others have said, it's pretty much the only interesting structure around there. Goes well with the whole airport vibe, as it's got that whole 50s Jetsons futuristic feel.

I'm surprised there's no heritage designation for this.

Rather bland- although the curvy facade in the foreground might be interesting. It's too bad they couldn't keep the old structure or in the very least keep the 'Regal Constellation' signage- surely it must be worthy of preservation similar to TipTop or Sam's.

I am all for saving buildings of historic and aesthetic interest but am I missing something here? From the pictures I have seen on this board, the building that they are taking down is bland, if not ugly and not in any way aesthetically interesting. As well, the sign does not look unique or interesting (or significant) in any way. Are there better pictures around? Is this just a case of 'its been here so long and I am familiar with it and please do not knock down anything that is familiar'?

It kept changing in appearance so often there wasn't time to get familiar with it ...

The original Constellation Hotel was five storeys and had 150 rooms. By 1971 it was undergoing its fourth expansion in nine years, adding 200 rooms, a ballroom and exhibition hall. The fifth expansion, in 1982, brought the total number of rooms to 900 and completely changed the look of it yet again.

Somewhat reminiscent of Chateau Champlain in downtown MTL. It is one of TO's more interesting buildings in that area and one of the few that noticeably reflects in its architecture a specific era. I think it's become noted over the years for it's movie star guests and foreign dignitaries. Another one bites the dust i guess.

Back