News   May 06, 2024
 417     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 651     1 

Hyatt Regency Toronto Airport (Regal Constellation site)

I didn't realize they're tearing down both towers. I thought it was just the white one.
It's a huge loss. I think it's an awesome looking building, but it's probably in really bad shape I suspect.
I also didn't realize how much history was involved in it until reading some posts in this thread. Very awesome stuff.

after doing a google search i found this video clip of the hotel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LxYEiB9kvo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLe4AsjQ9rs

Hey eveybody! Yeah, those two were shot/put together by me. I just registered here now, after reading through all the posts. The Regal is an amazing place. I used to drive by it all the time, and think how ugly it is. But man... NOW? I would have never guessed a person could develop such a sentimental connection (???) with a building. I also want to say thank you to Guru for posting such awesome, historic pics... And I really appreciate all his effort and research. I stopped by, once again, last weekend (when we were having that crazy snowstorm):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CFgDYJOsrs

Just a real preliminary brainstorm: Anyone interested in getting together on doing a documentary, looking at the history of the hotel, as well as its final days? (Just a thought...)

Hiho,

Just a real preliminary brainstorm: Anyone interested in getting together on doing a documentary, looking at the history of the hotel, as well as its final days? (Just a thought...)

Absolutely! I'm sure I could get some of the old staff from the 60s to participate, as well as the original owner/builder.

Thanks,
Andrew

Hiho,

Absolutely! I'm sure I could get some of the old staff from the 60s to participate, as well as the original owner/builder.

Thanks,
Andrew

Really? That would be absolutely AMAZING!!! The one thing I was perhaps unsure about, was being able to connect with people who were involved with the hotel, back in the day. But if you've got connections, that's awesome! Later tonight, I'll be beginning my e-mail writing campaign... Contacting Terrasan, Regal... anyone I can think of, to get access to info, etc.

I also thought about putting a classified ad in the major Toronto newspapers, looking for any old film footage of the place from back in the '60s or '70s. (There must be TONS of old 8mm footage laying around, forgotten in peoples' grandparent's basements & attics, I'd think...)

I want to track down who the architect of the west tower was. I suppose there's a moderate chance that he might still be around. An interview with that guy would be an incredible addition, too...

Taken today:
Mar27-08007.jpg

Regal Constellation To Fall

Another cool modern building biting the dust.

Not that well known it seems because of where it is, but i always liked its strange early 60's pop futurism...

regal1forweb.jpg

regal2forweb.jpg

regal3forweb.jpg

regal4forweb.jpg

regal5forweb.jpg

regal6forweb.jpg

regal7forweb.jpg

it's too bad. that building looks very cool. future generations will lament why we let this happen. the demolition kinda reminds me of the vegas hotel demolitions, minus the implosions.

good riddance that building looked like the redpath sugar factory on the waterfront.

wow you have very uhm, unusual powers of observation. in what specific ways does an early 60's airport hotel "look like" a sugar factory?

do you utilize a colour coded system in which all white buildings are deemed alike?

184808477_0752e63a7f.jpg

its just really unfortunate its out in Malton, and not downtown. boutique hotel entrepreneurs, like those that developed the Drake and Gladstone, would kill to be able to turn a hotel like this into something like the Standard in LA.

Standard_Hotel.jpg

Back