News   Jul 29, 2024
 244     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 367     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     1 

GTTA now Metrolinx

Tubelinx? I thought we copied New York, not London.

The name shouldn't evoke only the subway since it includes all manner of buses, streetcars, GO trains, etc.

How about Government of Ontario & Toronto Transit - GOT transit? :)

Clever... Screw Got Milk ads... we've GOT Transit!

I think an important thing we need to know first is how the name of this agency will be used. Will it be actually used on buses/trains? Will it only ever be mentioned in reference to actions done by the overarching planning board? I think the name really depends on how it will be used.

"Pronto" would work as a transit brand, to be used instead of "TTC", "MT" and the like, as in "Pronto buses", "Pronto trains", etc. But, as the name of a bureaucratic transit authority, it doesn't make as much sense. "Pronto announced today that YRT fares will rise on average of 10% this year..." just doesn't sound right. The name of such an authority would more appropriately be some acronym or something like "Metrolinks" even.

"Pronto" would work as a transit brand, to be used instead of "TTC", "MT" and the like, as in "Pronto buses", "Pronto trains", etc. But, as the name of a bureaucratic transit authority, it doesn't make as much sense. "Pronto announced today that YRT fares will rise on average of 10% this year..." just doesn't sound right. The name of such an authority would more appropriately be some acronym or something like "Metrolinks" even.

Though Pronto is perfect as the name of the agency that issues Presto cards.

Google Metrolinx.

My Spacing Wire post where I bash Metrolinx's name and website is still #1. Joe Clark bashing the website come in as number 2 and 3, and a National Post blog linking to my Wire post is #4.

I bet the people at the GTTA are not happy.

It's really comedic to see them make all the changes based upon comments here and at Spacing Wire. The Google Map is finally gone from the website, replaced by a cheapo look-alike, Brampton and Pickering UK were replaced, later Cassius' image. I think now we should comment about all sorts of crazy things, and they might just do it.

Maybe the head honchos don't know they have a website, and there's just one guy sitting at a computer somewhere refreshing various blogs and forums as fast as he can to catch all the comments and found errors.

They should change the name to Heterolinxxx to get more traffic from people looking for dating sites.

Google Metrolinx.

My Spacing Wire post where I bash Metrolinx's name and website is still #1. Joe Clark bashing the website come in as number 2 and 3, and a National Post blog linking to my Wire post is #4.

I bet the people at the GTTA are not happy.

No worries, they're cool. We had a pretty good laugh about how my site ranked above their original site when I first met them.

Joe Clark's second critique of the "new and improved" GTTA's website is very funny with the mp3 files of how a screen reader (for blind and visually impaired persons) would read the the web page. All the images and fillers ('dotslashfiller… dotslashfiller… dotslashfiller') reek of bad website design. The "more accessible version" does nothing.

http://blog.fawny.org/2007/12/07/metrolinx2/

Have they ever heard of focus groups?

Jeeze...no one likes the name.

Haven't found one taker yet.

My suggestion over at Spacing is currently #2 in the popularity charts...

GO TO

(as in GO Transit, Toronto)....as in GO to places...(As in GO, T.O.) or GO Toronto.

I like it, it has so many meanings....

But I could live with Pronto....

Or...GTTA.....

Jeeze...no one likes the name.

Haven't found one taker yet.

Why are you dismissing the people then who have already spoken up in this thread that they like, or do not mind the name.

I haven't offered my opinion yet. I'm fine with it. Like the "Presto" card - it could have been a lot worse - or some long-winded acronym.

... or something like that. I'm not sure you've heard - but there is already a service called GO. And I'm not sure the people of Hamilton, would appreciate their service being called TO.

Nfitz

What can I say....

For the first time in my memory on this board, as either a viewer, or a poster, I have developed a visceral dislike for someone on this board. (Nfitz)

I have edited this post so as to remove the invective from it. Kinda shortens up a bit.

Back