News   Jul 29, 2024
 193     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 371     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 474     0 

GTTA now Metrolinx

^ That is funny - yes Move On has that connotation.

Move Along Now, dam, that does not work either - it would abbreviate to "MAN" which would not be inclusive ....

Did not know it was so hard to name something. Maybe we can rename it to "X" for now until we come up with a final name.... Hey, actually I like that ...

Ride the X.... it actually works - it is like Chicago's "L" :eek:

^ That is funny - yes Move On has that connotation.

Move Along Now, dam, that does not work either - it would abbreviate to "MAN" which would not be inclusive ....

Did not know it was so hard to name something. Maybe we can rename it to "X" for now until we come up with a final name.... Hey, actually I like that ...

Ride the X.... it actually works - it is like Chicago's "L" :eek:

If it's like the L, than it's just another name that only conveys the rail rapid transit option.

I only count one person who "loves" the name, and one more that didn't mind it in this thread. All other comments have been negative. That said, Northern Light, your comment regarding Nfitz hasn't been very useful - he did figure out, after all, that that lovely English village was actually the result of Google image searching for Brampton and getting the wrong one.

If it's like the L, than it's just another name that only conveys the rail rapid transit option.

Anything that you name it - will convey to people what learn it to mean - which means an advertising campaign. Although I was just joking around, I actually think X is better than MetroLinx. The name should be a simple, and one syllable "word". Because it is not a short easy name that rolls off the tonge - it is not a name that people will end up calling it by - it will be shortened.

For the first time in my memory on this board, as either a viewer, or a poster, I have developed a visceral dislike and disdain for someone (that would be you) Nfitz.

You are highly disagreeable, you spoil for a fight, and you exhibit and astonishing degree of arrogance for someone who has not yet evidenced the education of an elementary school drop out.
Is this kind of personal attack really necessary? Just because you keep posting things that are 100% wrong, and I point out that they are 100% wrong, doesn't give you the right to be an asshole!

You posted, in a thread where there was (I counted two - perhaps one was merely neutral) positive comments about the name, a comment that not one person liked the name. Your post was clearly wrong. I merely pointed this out. If you have a problem being told when you are wrong - then stop posting things that are so totally wrong.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the name - and I tire of this "that sucks" reaction whenever anything like this comes out.

^ the name is fine; nothing special, but it's not offensive to me either.

I am not a fan of most of the alternatives suggested, to tell the truth.

I am not a fan of most of the alternatives suggested, to tell the truth.
Yes, that's the problem. Trying to find something that is all of original, satisfying, non-acronym, memorable, and not Toronto-specific is a tall order. Despite the complaints, Presto and Metrolinx aren't that bad. And Metrolinx will Google very well (much better than Metro, Tube, Underground, etc.). I'd just thank your lucky stars that it isn't something really horrid.

Metrolinx will Google well, except that my critique of the brand and website remains at the top!

My suggestion is CityLink - it would Google well, it's not that common for transit (the only one is Peoria, and as they say, if it plays in Peoria...). Mississauga Transit has it already for its telephone schedule service, but would make it easy enough to appropriate, and it wouldn't leave any noses out of joint in the kind of places where a Toronto-centric name would be an issue - namely Mississauga and Hamilton.

The x is the biggest problem. It really makes the name sound cheap, 1990s, and meaningless, IMO.

My suggestion is CityLink - it would Google well, it's not that common for transit (the only one is Peoria, and as they say, if it plays in Peoria...).
It's also taken (and I'm not thinking Peoria here):

http://www.citylink.co.uk/

This is a well-known prominent company. Their buses are very clearly labelled.

There's other examples listed on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Link (though I confess I haven't heard of the others) - Peroria isn't listed.

Metrolinx is a name suitable for Jacksonville or Albuquerque or, especially, an express bus network in Phoenix.
It seems like a fine name to me.

Your suggestion was "Government of Ontario & Toronto Transit" Gott. Ignoring how badly this would play in Hamilton - you think this is better?

Yes, "GOT transit?" was my suggestion. It was the most serious suggestion in this thread. I say this with deadpan seriousness. I'm serious.

Remember, I made two suggestions - I also suggested Heterolinxxx to capture more google traffic. HeT could stand for Hamilton et Toronto!

Back