News   Jul 29, 2024
 243     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 367     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     1 

GTTA now Metrolinx

The pic with the trees looks like a photomontage - the 4 buildings are the northern facade of Waterclub and Rivera, but there aren't any parks in the area that would give you that particular perspective.

AoD

GTTA renamed
Dec 04, 2007 04:30 AM
What's in a name?

When it comes to the region's new transportation agency, at least one too many Ts.

The Greater Toronto Transportation Authority will announce today it is changing its name to Metrolinx, GTTA board chair Rob MacIsaac confirmed yesterday.

Although the GTTA will retain its original moniker for legal purposes, Metrolinx will become its new "principal identifier."

"We think Metrolinx is more intuitive" and better communicates the agency's mission – which is to create a plan for seamless, green transportation across the Toronto region, from Durham to Hamilton – to be released in the spring, he said.

The GTTA tag has led to confusion with the similarly acronymed GTAA, the Greater Toronto Airports Authority.

MacIsaac plans to begin meeting with communities about their transportation needs in the new year.

Intuitive isn't the first word that comes to mind when I see that name.

If this agency starts delivering results in the departments of fare integration, standard GTA-wide farecards, distance-based charges irrespective of municipal borders, etc, I couldn't care less about what it's called.

Take note of the name... "Metrolinx"... it's plural. It symbolises the collection of independent and unconnected systems that will continue to exist. The Toronto Metrolink, the Mississauga Metrolink, the GO Metrolink...

Here's their advisory board of. There appears to be few activists or public personalities to ruin the party.

• Mark Chamberlain, Chair
  • Robert J. Armstrong
  • Rudy Bratty
  • David Culham
  • Julia Deans
  • Dr. Anne Golden
  • Cliff Goodall
  • Andrae Griffith
  • Art Leitch
  • Braz Menezes
  • Dr. Rick Miner
  • Walter Mulkewich
  • Dr. Pamela Robinson
  • Wayne Waters
  • Robin West
  • Henry J.P. Wiercinski

Here's their advisory board of nobodies (except Anne Golden, the only person I heard of). No activists or public personalities to ruin the party.

• Mark Chamberlain, Chair
  • Robert J. Armstrong
  • Rudy Bratty
  • David Culham
  • Julia Deans
  • Dr. Anne Golden
  • Cliff Goodall
    [*]Andrae Griffith
  • Art Leitch
  • Braz Menezes
  • Dr. Rick Miner
  • Walter Mulkewich
    [*]Dr. Pamela Robinson
  • Wayne Waters
  • Robin West
  • Henry J.P. Wiercinski

Congrats to the 2 people in bold!

Hmmm. Dr. Pamela Robinson is a planning prof at Ryerson. Not that bad a choice, actually. Andrae Griffith is a blogTO contributor (sorry for calling you a nobody!).

Though I believe Steve Munro ran, as did several credible transit critics and other people with knowledge. I hope that the few people I now know of will keep Metrolinx's feet to the fire.

Anyone else know of any of the people there?

Yes, indeed I am correct. Congrats! I agree with Sean that hopefully you can play a role in holding feet to the fire, and I hope that you're generous enough to stick around and keep us UT folks in the loop.

Steve Munro just commented on my Spacing Wire post that most of the people up there are likely the political/corporate cheerleaderz Metrolinx wantz. He ran, but was in all liklihood was seen as too loose a cannon for their purposes. Though he can remain an independant critic.

I can hope that the few good people there like Andrae will raise the big issues.

Isn't Andrae Griffith on this forum? If so, congrats!

Thank you very very much:D

Hmmm. Dr. Pamela Robinson is a planning prof at Ryerson. Not that bad a choice, actually. Andrae Griffith is a blogTO contributor (sorry for calling you a nobody!).

Quite alright:p

It's true that I am not as experienced as everyone else on the list, but I'll do my best to make sure the regional transit plan puts transit in the region on a solid footing, and that you guys on this board have opportunities to take part in the process and get your voices heard.

Thank you very very much:D

Quite alright:p

It's true that I am not as experienced as everyone else on the list, but I'll do my best to make sure the regional transit plan puts transit in the region on a solid footing, and that you guys on this board have opportunities to take part in the process and get your voices heard.

Dont forget my Mavis Subway ;)

Back