News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 961     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Greyhound: Apart from that, how was your experience today?

Phelps and his crew have about as much to do with Christianity as the 9/11 terrorists have to do with Islam.

Phelps and his crew have about as much to do with Christianity as the 9/11 terrorists have to do with Islam.

very true.

either they're doing what the scriptures advocate or backing up what they do with the scriptures which have passages that agree with what they're doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmNiewTArF4

i'll say it again, thankfully most people don't take every part of their sacred scriptures seriously.

Christianity and Islam are entirely different. First of all, you will find little if anything in Christianity that calls for violence against non-believers. Of course, you can find lots of stories about a vengeful God in the Torah, or Old Testament, but in the Christian New Testament all you'll find are stories of sacrifice, healing, forgiveness, and the general retelling of Christ's supposed life (as well as a general discounting of the Old Testament's list of Jewish codes of conduct). Islam is nothing of this sort. For a start, unlike the New Testament, the Koran is a strict, day by day rule book of how to live your life, i.e. prayers so many times a day, women must be covered, etc... Also, unlike the NT, the Koran is filled with commands of violence. For example, if anyone converts from Islam, the punishment is death, Volume 9, Book 84, Number 57; "Whoever changes his Islamic religion, then kill him." Or how about the Koran, Volume 2, Book 23, Number 413; where Mohammed ordered an adulterous couple to be stoned to death http://jihadwatch.org/islam101/ The Koran is filled with such demands for violence. Don't kid yourself, Islam is not the same as Buddhism, Confucianism, Hinduism, Christianity, etc... Islam is a religion of violence, real, instructed violence.

Sure, plenty of violence has been conducted in the name of Christianity, such as the crusades, inquisitions, etc. but you'll not find any outright calls to violence against non-believers in the New Testament along the lines of "Christ ordered anyone who converts from his way to be killed". At best you'll get Christ saying things like those who do not follow me will not get into heaven, but that's hardly a call to kill those who don't comply.

Islam and Christianity are polar opposites when it comes to prescribed violence in the Koran vs. the New Testament.

Christianity and Islam are entirely different. First of all, you will find little if anything in Christianity that calls for violence against non-believers. Of course, you can find lots of stories about a vengeful God in the Torah, or Old Testament, but in the Christian New Testament all you'll find are stories of sacrifice, healing, forgiveness, and the general retelling of Christ's supposed life (as well as a general discounting of the Old Testament's list of Jewish codes of conduct). Islam is nothing of this sort. For a start, unlike the New Testament, the Koran is a strict, day by day rule book of how to live your life, i.e. prayers so many times a day, women must be covered, etc... Also, unlike the NT, the Koran is filled with commands of violence. For example, if anyone converts from Islam, the punishment is death, Volume 9, Book 84, Number 57; "Whoever changes his Islamic religion, then kill him." Or how about the Koran, Volume 2, Book 23, Number 413; where Mohammed ordered an adulterous couple to be stoned to death http://jihadwatch.org/islam101/ The Koran is filled with such demands for violence. Don't kid yourself, Islam is not the same as Buddhism, Confucianism, Hinduism, Christianity, etc... Islam is a religion of violence, real, instructed violence.

Sure, plenty of violence has been conducted in the name of Christianity, such as the crusades, inquisitions, etc. but you'll not find any outright calls to violence against non-believers in the New Testament along the lines of "Christ ordered anyone who converts from his way to be killed". At best you'll get Christ saying things like those who do not follow me will not get into heaven, but that's hardly a call to kill those who don't comply.

Islam and Christianity are polar opposites when it comes to prescribed violence in the Koran vs. the New Testament.

Okay I concede to your greater knowledge. But the point remains that they're extremists in both cases. (Not saying Phelps is a violent terrorist, they haven't killed anyone yet as far as I know).

Okay I concede to your greater knowledge. But the point remains that they're extremists in both cases. (Not saying Phelps is a violent terrorist, they haven't killed anyone yet as far as I know).
I can't claim any greater knowledge really, but I can say that if my church's main book (the New Testament) had such calls for violence and war as a tenant of its primary teachings, I'd be outt'a there PDQ.

according to the NT, we can't be friends....

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2 Corinthians 6:14-17;&version=46;

and anyone who doesn't follow jesus will burn in hell...

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2 Thessalonians 1:7-9;&version=46;

so while physically harmless are the threats of hell, the intention is way worse. if there really was a hell, being stoned to death is far better than eternal hellfire.

according to the OT, yikes!....

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Dt.13:6-10;&version=46;

Beez is selective in his review of the NT and Koran. Jesus promotes violence several times:

"I say to you that to everyone who has, more shall be given, but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away. As for my enemies who do not want me to reign over them, bring them here and kill them in my presence" (Luke 19:26-27).

"Do not think that I have come to send peace on Earth. I did not come to send peace, but a sword. I am sent to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law" (Matthew 10:34-35).

And don't forget all the references to burning in hell Jesus mentions. For example, if you love your family more than him.

Like the Bible, the Koran is inconsistent. At times violent, at times not. Jews and Christians are referred to as "people of the book" on several occasions and Muslims are ordered to treat them with respect. On other occasions, non-believers are to be killed. The bottom line is don't take any of these books literally.

Personally I haven't read any of the above to a great extent. I only know what I know from Church and school. Mostly New Testament, some Old, no Koran.

I think Jews are supposed to live by like 600 commandments or something? I remember reading that somewhere. I thought 10 was enough.

Regardless, if we did all the things those holy books said, there'd be no one left alive on this planet.

Beez is selective in his review of the NT and Koran. Jesus promotes violence several times:

"I say to you that to everyone who has, more shall be given, but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away. As for my enemies who do not want me to reign over them, bring them here and kill them in my presence" (Luke 19:26-27).

"Do not think that I have come to send peace on Earth. I did not come to send peace, but a sword. I am sent to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law" (Matthew 10:34-35).

And don't forget all the references to burning in hell Jesus mentions. For example, if you love your family more than him.

Like the Bible, the Koran is inconsistent. At times violent, at times not. Jews and Christians are referred to as "people of the book" on several occasions and Muslims are ordered to treat them with respect. On other occasions, non-believers are to be killed. The bottom line is don't take any of these books literally.

the story of jesus paints a bigger picture, that of punishment. jesus was sent here to die for our "sins" (a sacrificial lamb). could there have been no other way? this is "god" we're talking about, who can bend the rules of nature after all. what's even more immoral is that innocent people are born guilty and it doesn't matter who suffers for the crime, as long as someone is dead at the end of the day.

it's all about revenge.

Should this topic be placed with the General Discussions? I say YES!

To the Moderator: Now that this topic has shifted away from Greyhound and Bus transportation perhaps it belongs in the General Discussions section-also due to the fact that we all were discussing a topic about one specific incident that just happened to take place on a Greyhound Bus.

And now we are discussing religious extremism-which can be interesting but it does not fit the Transportation and Infrastructure category anymore.
That's my thoughts here-LI MIKE

And now we are discussing religious extremism-which can be interesting but it does not fit the Transportation and Infrastructure category anymore.
That's my thoughts here-LI MIKE
I'd just stop discussing the religious part entirely. I've been using the internet for most of my life, and I have never once seen a discussion about religion turn into anything but a huge argument culminating in pages upon pages of line-by-line analysis, personal attacks out the wazoo, and the eventual closing of the thread.

Seriously. It's like a lamb that's born with horrible birth defects. Put it out of it's misery before it has to grow up and die of it's own accord after much pain and suffering.

Religious extremism...and another thought on this horrible crime...

Panzerfaust: Good point-religious extremism is a touchy subject and perhaps it is time to turn away from that in this topic. It seems to me now that nothing really constructive can come out of a discussion on this subject.

I will say that the suspect arrested for this horrible crime should be put away for quite some time upon conviction. If he is released someday back into society he is a ticking time bomb that can explode at any time..

Thoughts from Long Island Mike

Back