News   Jul 11, 2024
 141     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 527     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Greyhound: Apart from that, how was your experience today?

Sorry, but you're wrong. Just because someone doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't make them "barbaric". My viewpoint is no more barbaric than yours.

Yes, Chris, yes it does. Here is a selection of Just_Christ quotes for your amusement.

I still have yet to hear why this guy should be allowed to live when his victim is not.

Let "the punishment fit the crime".

A crime the most severe and reprehensible imaginable should be punished with a penalty the most severe and brutal imaginable.

Thus sinking an entire country and its justice system to the level of the criminals which it treats?

Is allowing this guy to live and maybe even be a free man some day the most severe and brutal penalty imaginable? I don't think so.

To cut someone's head off with a knife proves that he knew what he was doing far more than any normal person would.

To be honest, I don't think decapitation would be as difficult as you suggest. It actually seems quite easy given the nature of the equipment used to commit the crime.

I suggest you stop speaking for me. You're making yourself look like a fool because you don't know a thing about me. I'm not here speaking for you, and you shouldn't be speaking for me.

Chris, you are probably the party most guilty for putting words in others' mouths during this debate.

Why should a murderer be allowed to walk free EVER again when his victim will never get such a chance. Give me a logical answer to these two questions, and I'll agree that murderers should be allowed to walk free. I've yet to hear anyone give any reasons.

Somehow I think if he moved next door to you, you'd change your stance.

Chris, given some of your opinions, I would be more worried for my family if you moved in next door.

But how would you implement that in places like Actinolite, Ontario or Rouleau, Saskatchewan?

Well, I mean as far as personal checks go. Just have carry on luggage run through an X-Ray machine and that should do the trick. They could have small stations at each of these locations.

Maybe a metal detector wand that the driver holds, as nothing more than that is feasible for flag stops like that. But my inner civil rights guy is shouting "too intrusive!"

I think any type of security check on the Greyhound is excessive - besides, we don't do that for every TTC or GO passenger - and both system carries a far bigger load and actually present a higher risk environment. If someone wanted to, they could have sneaked the same sort of weapon and cause a far greater degree of carnage on say a subway train - more riders, difficulty with evacuating the vehicle, etc.

AoD

Chris, you are probably the party most guilty for putting words in others' mouths during this debate.

I haven't put words into anyone's mouth. If I say "I've heard an argument", that doesn't mean on this forum. Just amongst those who share the same position.

Chris, given some of your opinions, I would be more worried for my family if you moved in next door.

And given some of your opinions, I would be worried about anyone living next door to you.

And I don't quite get something, are you saying the punishment shouldn't fit the crime? Then what should the punishment fit if not the crime? Should more severe crimes not be met with more severe punishments?

I think any type of security check on the Greyhound is excessive - besides, we don't do that for every TTC or GO passenger - and both system carries a far bigger load and actually present a higher risk environment. If someone wanted to, they could have sneaked the same sort of weapon and cause a far greater degree of carnage on say a subway train - more riders, difficulty with evacuating the vehicle, etc.

AoD

That's true, but you're usually on such trips for a much shorter period of time. Besides, as private companies it would probably benefit Greyhound, etc. to do some security checks.

And given some of your opinions, I would be worried about anyone living next door to you.

It depends who your definition of "anyone" is.

Besides, technically, one could be legitimately worried about anyone living next door to him
morgentaler_henry030128.jpg

...which doesn't put him in the same category as a Greyhound cannibal.

Indeed, I'd more likely place those who *would* put him in the same category as a Greyhound cannibal...in the same category as a Greyhound cannibal...

There's new information emerging that the killer may be a paranoid schizophrenic... that he felt like he was being watched and that people were out to get him. He would tell bizarre rambling stories. He was probably afraid for his life when he got on the bus, hence the hunting knife. He was probably completely out of touch with reality when he killed his victim.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/story/4207974p-4800217c.html

He was probably completely out of touch with reality when he killed his victim.
I'm not sure we need experts to tell us this. In addition to the act, the complete calm that witnesses described seems to be indicative of a severe mental illness. And in my experience, these things don't happen overnight. I'm just very thankful that he wasn't carrying a gun.

We can place security checks on every street corner, like they are beginning to do in London due to their newfound stabby nature there.

We still will never be safe from those who are not safe from themselves.

On another, more transportation-y note, the Greyhound is the lowest common denominator of public transit. At least in the U.S. and Canada west of Barrie.

In the American-side of my family alone, people have been robbed, assaulted and even murdered on the bus or around their so-called "stations".

At least up until 2003, which is the last time I ever rode a Greyhound in America, recently released prisoners were given a bus ticket to go where they would like. As Greyhound provides the biggest network, guess which company most of them chose.

In 2003, I rode from Sacramento to San Francisco; equivalent to London to Toronto. I had to contend with :
- A bus terminal in Sacramento, rank with urine, feces overflowing from the toilets, numerous vagrants in and around the station
- A bus terminal in Oakland where gun fire could be heard and drug deals being conducted in the open
- A practically abandoned terminal in San Fran.
- The driver stopping on 2 seperate occasions because the bus was filled with marijuana smoke due to 2 different passengers
- drunk and unruly passengers

and that was one of the more pleasurable rides.
p.s. there were metal detectors at all terminals that were catching people carrying everything including knives.

The last Canadian bus : Vancouver to Calgary. That was going well until someone vomitted in the bus because they were juiced. Oh and the fight at the Calgary terminal was a highlight as well. Someone was spit on.

I wrote a letter to Greyhound after my Van-Cal trip, outlining my position. They sent me coupons to use for my next trip (valid outside of peak travel times, of course).

With Air Canada and Westjet, there is absolutely no reason to cram yourself into an uncomfortable, stink-tastic bus for the helluva 3-4 day journey it is from here to Vancouver. If you want to see the country-rent a car. Or at least do it in short intervals of no more than 2 hours.

I feel sorry for those out west, where bus travel seems to be the only other option. At least we've got the train (with a serious schedule and serving serious destinations).

In my opinion, land masses like North America were not meant to be crossed in vehicles regardless.

Despite Toronto's current crime problems, which are mostly concerning those in gangs, Toronto and points east have a certain refinement to them due to the country being older and more established in these parts.

Parts of the west still think they are living in the days of the Klondike.

That's not to say what happened in Manitoba could not happen out here. Mentally-ill people exist everywhere. This is to point out the other flaws in bus travel.

On the other hand, I have no problems travelling from T.O. to NYC on the bus - The $1 bus goes from the Royal York to the new Times Square (brought to you by Disney), avoiding the scum of the bus station. Also, you have to cross a border, where everyone must disembark and have their bags searched.

I guess this strikes a nerve with me because I have always had this fear of being stabbed in the back through the seat while on the bus. Or having my throat slit. That's the kind of atmosphere and images Greyhound terminals conjure.

My question is:
What can be done so that people have a nicer experience with bus travel in Canada?

Thanks for sharing. I knew it was bad... I had no idea it was that bad.

What can be done so that people have a nicer experience with bus travel in Canada?

First thing we can do here in Toronto is replace the bus terminal with one that actually fits modern coaches.

We can develop shared facilities across the country so that a bus terminal does more than just serve bus passengers, hopefully making the facilities less scummy.

Other than that, I don't know.

First thing we can do here in Toronto is replace the bus terminal with one that actually fits modern coaches.

We can develop shared facilities across the country so that a bus terminal does more than just serve bus passengers, hopefully making the facilities less scummy.

Metrolinx is responsible for the proposed Harbour Street bus terminal, and if they decide to go ahead with it, that is precisely the direction they should go. It shouldn't be just a bus terminal. It should be a "welcome centre" complete with shopping, tourist information and other amenities.

The Toronto bus terminal isn't that bad. I think this is because it is run by the TTC (yes, we deride it for maintenance and management, but it is still managed better than most Greyhound terminals - the Port Authority in New York and the NFTA in Buffalo don't do too badly either. The London Greyhound terminal is Greyhound-run and it is a bit of a dive.

I think that as long as you have commuter bus traffic mixed in with intercity traffic, and have reasonable management, you avoid the problems. I have done the Toronto-Sudbury Greyhound, and that was a horror show - two sets of seats were broken, the guy sitting next to me (I moved) made his fish sandwich from scratch (a la Mr. Bean). Northland, despite extra stops, is much more civilized, partly as there's less people on those local runs.

Metrolinx is responsible for the proposed Harbour Street bus terminal, and if they decide to go ahead with it, that is precisely the direction they should go.

I hope they don't go with the Harbour Street location. It's too far from the subway and would be an almost guaranteed boondoggle. I don't know who proposed the Dominion Building location, but it's far superior.

Move it to Harbour Street and you might as well move it out to a parking lot out by Sportsworld, err..., I mean Ontario Place. ;)

The Toronto bus terminal isn't that bad. I think this is because it is run by the TTC (yes, we deride it for maintenance and management, but it is still managed better than most Greyhound terminals - the Port Authority in New York and the NFTA in Buffalo don't do too badly either. The London Greyhound terminal is Greyhound-run and it is a bit of a dive.

The current bus terminal is clean and well-managed. The problem is that it's obsolete. When buses have to do a three-point-turn on Edward Street, blocking traffic and pedestrians, just to exit the terminal there's something wrong. When passengers are forced to line up in the path of moving vehicles and have to scurry out of the way (and scurry back while trying to remember what your position in the line was) just so the bus can get into the platform there's something wrong.

Back