News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

^You should probably be hiring the head-shrinker now. A "plan" is one thing, actually achieving the goal of the plan is something quite different.

I was at a meeting last night where Metrolinx was speaking and it was said plans are been looked at double decking the tracks.

Hummm!!!! doubling decking the tracks underground will require the removal of the existing TTC loop.

Oh!!! goooood, be get to the chance to built a true loop that will meet future needs, not like the one TTC is pushing.

Now, what happens to the current underpass that are there now?? Can't build new deeper underpass's.

Does this mean tracks will be real deep to get under the underpass????

There a whole ball of trouble with this idea and a few Billions of $$$ to do this, as well years of service disruptions.

Not only that, but just because they've looked into it, doesn't mean that there's anything to it. They're just checking out their options, which is great.

That is not a shopping complex, just a subterrainian mall..... Now if it had 500+ stores, 90+ restaurants, a "farmer's" market - now that is a shopping complex :rolleyes:

True and if we're going this route, I say the first five levels above be a shopping complex and the next 60 be office and residential.

I could live, work, shop, and travel and never have to leave my address.

High platform and significantly upgraded signalling could have trains arriving on a platform every 7 minutes. With 14 tracks (9 for GO I believe). Each line requires 1 track for 7 minute frequent service without ATC and a 2nd track if there was 7 minute frequent express. Lakeshore West, Milton, Georgetown, Newmarket, Richmond Hill, Markham, Lakeshore East would take 9 with 7 minute service and no express. Add in the rush-hour expresses and a Bolton and North Pickering train and it becomes obvious that service more frequent than 15 minutes on regular routes would start to hit the limits of the GO tracks.

High platform and significantly upgraded signalling could have trains arriving on a platform every 7 minutes. With 14 tracks (9 for GO I believe). Each line requires 1 track for 7 minute frequent service without ATC and a 2nd track if there was 7 minute frequent express. Lakeshore West, Milton, Georgetown, Newmarket, Richmond Hill, Markham, Lakeshore East would take 9 with 7 minute service and no express. Add in the rush-hour expresses and a Bolton and North Pickering train and it becomes obvious that service more frequent than 15 minutes on regular routes would start to hit the limits of the GO tracks.

Is there any reason why 7 minutes is an absolute limit? Lots of regional rail systems pack trains through at less than 2 minute frequencies. I know that loading and unloading times are part of the problem, but more frequent, smaller trains with more doors should remedy that. Combining the routes so they don't terminate at Union would also help reduce dwell time.

Is there any reason why 7 minutes is an absolute limit? Lots of regional rail systems pack trains through at less than 2 minute frequencies. I know that loading and unloading times are part of the problem, but more frequent, smaller trains with more doors should remedy that. Combining the routes so they don't terminate at Union would also help reduce dwell time.

Probably cause diesel trains take a bit of time to rev up... just a guess though.

As the last two sheds to the south aren't the original bush sheds, would it be possible to tear those down and replace with a long glass wall? That alone would make the station much brighter.

It's almost impossible to believe they would build a second level of tracks and platforms above the current ones. Getting vertical access to the platforms would be a nightmare, and it would create a huge system of ramps and columns across a mile-long stretch of downtown at least as high as the Gardiner. Who on earth would dare stand up beside a rendering of that at a public info session and try to sell it, when most people consider the current structure an unattractive barrier to the waterfront?

Much more likely is a tunnel under the current tracks for the Lakeshore and Airport/Georgetown lines after they've evolved into an electrified "S-Bahn" system.

Back