News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

Union Station Improvements...

Everyone: Good proposal here for fixing and improving the Union Station roof canopy-I am now wondering if the City of Toronto has ever considered selling the air rights above the existing canopy for potential development.

With development over the tracks at Union Station the drawbacks would be lack of daytime natural light and a ventilation system might have to be installed to vent diesel exhaust.

Even if the GO Lakeshore Line is eventually electrified or perhaps part of VIA's Corridor services follow suit many diesel-powered trains would still serve Union Station.

One thing I would NOT like to see would be the classic Station itself altered-just the canopy area replaced or rebuilt at the very least.

Toronto Union Station is a classic from Railroading's heyday-a memorable welcome to Toronto for some-it was for me in 1979-and I am all for improving it in ways to be functional for GO and VIA riders.

As I look back it is hard to believe that we could have lost TUS in the 60s perhaps something similar to the way NYC lost Penn Station but as we all know it survived and is now thriving.

In closing I feel improving Union Station should be a top priority-being the heart of the GO Rail system and one of the largest hubs on the VIA Rail Canada system.

-Thoughts and opinion from Long Island Mike-

Screw the green roof. I'd like to see the whole shed roof be built out of glass and steel. Now that would be impressive! I do like the design though. Finally, some attractive public spaces coming slowly but surely to Toronto.

Union station needs improvements and more space for passengers to move around.

Screw the green roof. I'd like to see the whole shed roof be built out of glass and steel. Now that would be impressive! I do like the design though. Finally, some attractive public spaces coming slowly but surely to Toronto.

I feel the same way, however the green roof is the second best option.

3427322838_6ef887d36b_o.jpg

3427322898_1e5e733ff7_o.jpg

3427322956_b3a09225c0_o.jpg

Sweet models. I really am looking forward to this. It's going to make being at Union station a more pleasant experience.

I'm looking forward to this reconstruction. I like the green roof as well, because it provides some visual relief from concrete and asphalt for people looking down on it, like the tourists in the CN Tower.

Looking at the trainshed, the part over Tracks 10 and 11 (I think) on the south side is newer and shorter than the rest of the trainshed, and doesn't match the original construction style. I wonder whether they could take the beams from the central part where the glass is going, and reconstruct them to replace this newer part so that it matches the original?

Back