News   Jul 22, 2024
 9     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 228     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 993     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

My issue is that they used one, rather than two separate pieces of glass. If you look closely, you'll see that there is a heavy reinforcing structural member in the middle of the windshield, but it doesn't actually contact it at all.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I think that's a reflection.

It's not. It's a piece of steel.

Well, it might be covered in something to make it look "pretty", but there's definitely steel inside of it for strength.
Could it both be a reflection we see in the picture, AND there's a piece of steel in about the same spot for strength?

Could it both be a reflection we see in the picture, AND there's a piece of steel in about the same spot for strength?

There is nothing in that part of the factory that would create a reflection like that.

Not only that, but a reflection would not have the same level of distortion as the items that were visible through the glass.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There is nothing in that part of the factory that would create a reflection like that.

Not only that, but a reflection would not have the same level of distortion as the items that were visible through the glass.

I'm not convinced, I'm gonna wait for another picture. That thing looks way too straight and is positioned wierdly, my guess is it is a pillar from inside the building, to the photographer's right

Agreed about the paint scheme. My bigger issue with these cars is the size of the windshield, which spans the entire width of the car. GO has had to purchase cranes to install in the PM bays at Willowbrook to handle them.
Did they not already have overhead cranes in the PM bays at Willowbrook? A piece of glass like this could easily be installed with a vacuum cup rack attached to a standard overhead crane.

Then it does indeed appear to be the inside support!

The PDF brochure from Bombardier that started this whole conversation makes it clear there's an inside structural beam.

Not sure I'm understanding all the armchair fussing here. Bombardier do, in fact, know a thing or two about designing trains properly, and I'm going to have a bit of faith that design choices like that are made for a reason. Large single-pane windows will be on their new Crossrail trains, the Bombardier rolling stock for Gautrain in South Africa, or the Bombardier Talent 2. You also see them on competing products designed by Siemens and Alstom.

Did they not already have overhead cranes in the PM bays at Willowbrook? A piece of glass like this could easily be installed with a vacuum cup rack attached to a standard overhead crane.

They do - two of them per bay in fact. But neither has enough travel to reach the very end of a cab car when the train is parked in it, and thus they've had to build an additional crane solely to deal with the weight of these new windshields.

Not sure I'm understanding all the armchair fussing here. Bombardier do, in fact, know a thing or two about designing trains properly, and I'm going to have a bit of faith that design choices like that are made for a reason. Large single-pane windows will be on their new Crossrail trains, the Bombardier rolling stock for Gautrain in South Africa, or the Bombardier Talent 2. You also see them on competing products designed by Siemens and Alstom.

And how many of those pieces of rolling stock use 1" thick CFR 49.223 bullet-resistant glass that is almost 10 feet wide by 4 feet tall? The windshield used on the CEM cab cars is going to weigh in the neighbourhood of 2500 pounds by itself.

It's needless, considering that they could have done the same thing with 3 or 4 smaller pieces of glass - like on the MP40s - to achieve the same amount of safety at less cost (a crack anywhere in the windshield will require its replacement, regardless of size) and with less issues in handling and installation.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They do - two of them per bay in fact. But neither has enough travel to reach the very end of a cab car when the train is parked in it, and thus they've had to build an additional crane solely to deal with the weight of these new windshields.

And how many of those pieces of rolling stock use 1" thick CFR 49.223 bullet-resistant glass that is almost 10 feet wide by 4 feet tall? The windshield used on the CEM cab cars is going to weigh in the neighbourhood of 2500 pounds by itself.

It's needless, considering that they could have done the same thing with 3 or 4 smaller pieces of glass - like on the MP40s - to achieve the same amount of safety at less cost (a crack anywhere in the windshield will require its replacement, regardless of size) and with less issues in handling and installation.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Dan: I was wondering just how much that those new GO Transit cab car windshields would weigh noting that they are manufactured with bulletproof glass...
I knew that they were going to be heavy - 2500 pounds is significant for these windshields and the new cabs look to be designed to accommodate that weight...
I would like to see a variation of "zebra stripe" used on their front ends - instead of plain white - along with the GO logo lettering front and center...

I figured that GO would gradually replace the older design cab cars with the new design and that the older cab cars would be "de-moted" to coaches...

VS: Would the MP40s be better if they had two windshields with a center post instead of the small windshields that it has and does the curvature
distort the view out for the engineer and engine crew?

LI MIKE

Last edited:
2015 will see the current notices related to pay fare areas as well fare been change.

One hopes they change the shitty plan colours that look like UPX colours when installed.

The wording is still a joke, but they have removed the words related to platform and "POP" being used for vehicles.

I would use "POP is require upon inspection, otherwise fine issue." POP can be the Presto card or ticket, as well other tools that will surface down the road.

Dan: I was wondering just how much that those new GO Transit cab car windshields would weigh noting that they are manufactured with bulletproof glass...
I knew that they were going to be heavy - 2500 pounds is significant for these windshields and the new cabs look to be designed to accommodate that weight...
LI MIKE
A 1" plate of bullet-resistant glass is going to weigh in the neighbourhood of 20# - 25# per square foot, depending on the exact type of glass. For comparison, a regular old insulated glass unit should weight around 10# per square foot.

Last edited:
VS: Would the MP40s be better if they had two windshields with a center post instead of the small windshields that it has and does the curvature
distort the view out for the engineer and engine crew?

The glass on the MP40 appears to be flat, if there is a curvature its very small. The distortions are unlikely to be due to any curvature and is clearly a quality issue, one they've yet to complete rectify :mad:

GO is buying 253 more Alexander-Dennis low floor buses over 5 years, with ADL establishing a chasis assembly plant in the GTA that will create 30 full time jobs.

Interestingly, the press release indicates that these buses will be able to get into Hamilton, Yorkdale, York Mills, and Union, thus enabling them to serve ALL GO routes.

Presumably this is the beginning of the end for coaches, and GO will be buying these going forward. The press release hints at that: "These buses represent the future of our bus fleet and set a new standard for the service we provide."

Last edited:

Back