News   May 13, 2024
 734     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 746     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

A bus in mixed traffic in the streets of downtown Toronto in the midst of rush hour is a lot different than 12-car train operating in its own ROW. It's not in any way equivalent.
Isn't that the point? That the faster GO Train is cheaper than the slower TTC express bus? Suggesting that GO isn't particularly expensive?

Perhaps an easy way to sort it out is whoever gets tapped onto first gets the fare. Yes, in the AM peak the TTC would be losing out on money, but in the PM peak (assuming it's a reverse trip), all of those people would be tapping onto the TTC first. If the "he who gets tapped onto first gets paid" policy is used, each company would get the fare revenue from one of those two trips. For the TTC, that may actually end up being a net plus, because a lot of those people today choose to walk because they don't want to pay the extra full fare. At least under this scenario they'll get getting one fare instead of zero.

Except that is not how Presto works. The local transit fare always gets reduced to the co-fare amount (on those agencies) regardless of where within the sequence it was tapped.

And of course, you're also assuming that GO wouldn't scream bloody murder over the idea. Which, of course, they will.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Except that is not how Presto works. The local transit fare always gets reduced to the co-fare amount (on those agencies) regardless of where within the sequence it was tapped.

It does seem to work that way for local to local transfers. A trip starting in York Region and ending in Brampton costs the YRT fare, the other direction costs the BT fare. Does anyone know how these agreements between the 905 agencies came to be?

ICYMI: a rendering of what the new cab car with CEM will look like.

GO new cab.png

Attachments

• GO new cab.png
    GO new cab.png
    668.1 KB · Views: 1,226
New GO Transit Cab Cars: Nice design...

ICYMI: a rendering of what the new cab car with CEM will look like.

View attachment 36289

DVR and Everyone: I like the design of GO Transit's new cab cars...I will agree with INH and think that the previous
color scheme would have looked better on these cars and the white used on the front end will be tough to keep clean...

Are any of these slated to replace the GO cab cars that are now in service? LI MIKE

DVR and Everyone: I like the design of GO Transit's new cab cars...I will agree with INH and think that the previous
color scheme would have looked better on these cars and the white used on the front end will be tough to keep clean...

Agreed about the paint scheme. My bigger issue with these cars is the size of the windshield, which spans the entire width of the car. GO has had to purchase cranes to install in the PM bays at Willowbrook to handle them.

Are any of these slated to replace the GO cab cars that are now in service? LI MIKE

There are 60 of these cars on order, 2 of which are scheduled to arrive by the end of the year to help debug the design and provide improvements for the rest. The rest will arrive by the end of 2016.

The 56 current cab cars will then be used as regular coaches until they are ready to be retired.

Hey so, where did you get this rendering, and when will we see these in action?

The rendering comes from a PDF salessheet that Bombardier released at the APTA convention in Houston a couple of weeks ago.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Agreed about the paint scheme. The 56 current cab cars will then be used as regular coaches until they are ready to be retired.

Will they be renovated at all to remove the control section? It would be weird to fit them in the train with the control booth in place, since people would have to be able to walk through it to change cars. I guess they could be placed at the locomotive end to resolve that problem. That does mean one less bathroom, probably only a minor inconvenience.

Will they be renovated at all to remove the control section? It would be weird to fit them in the train with the control booth in place, since people would have to be able to walk through it to change cars. I guess they could be placed at the locomotive end to resolve that problem. That does mean one less bathroom, probably only a minor inconvenience.

I don't know what the long-term plans for the cars are beyond that they will be removed from service as cab cars. You only lose 4 seats by having the cab there, so it's not like there's a huge increase in capacity to be gained. Also keep in mind that the last 16 cab cars do have bathrooms in them.

But then again, I also said that they wouldn't reconfigure the 2300s - the original accessible cars - once the new ones in the 2500 series started arriving, and I was wrong about that.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It would be weird to fit them in the train with the control booth in place, since people would have to be able to walk through it to change cars. I guess they could be placed at the locomotive end to resolve that problem.

There's a few trainsets out there using cab cars as regular coaches. It's not an issue since the engineers compartment is closed off. Though most of the cab cars used in service have had their doors retrofired so that they can't be closed in such a way. Thankfully they can easily be converted back. There is no issue with walking through the train since the front door is left unlocked and also the total loss of seats is only two since people can use the two seats in the conductor's area.

My bigger issue with these cars is the size of the windshield, which spans the entire width of the car. GO has had to purchase cranes to install in the PM bays at Willowbrook to handle them.

I don't know the reason for it but personally I like that they went with such a heavy single pane windshield. I fell a lot safer knowing that the risk of getting impaled by a relatively small branch will be dramatically reduced. That engineer still has nightmares about that time...

My bigger issue with these cars is the size of the windshield, which spans the entire width of the car. GO has had to purchase cranes to install in the PM bays at Willowbrook to handle them.

But isn't it offering a better viewfield for the operator? On top of the CEM, this was another safety upgrade was it not?

I don't know the reason for it but personally I like that they went with such a heavy single pane windshield. I fell a lot safer knowing that the risk of getting impaled by a relatively small branch will be dramatically reduced. That engineer still has nightmares about that time...

My issue is that they used one, rather than two separate pieces of glass. If you look closely, you'll see that there is a heavy reinforcing structural member in the middle of the windshield, but it doesn't actually contact it at all.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back