News   Jul 22, 2024
 574     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 627     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

now I'm interested in the details for this. Does this include the full build out of the plan detailed in the EA with the increased VIA service as well as the primitive all day 2 way GO service to Bramalea? If so, TOareaFan may get something similar to what he wants. VIA is federal however, is wynne in talks with Harper to get that VIA service? is it just going to be paid for by the province? will it happen at all? so many questions... provided the announcement today is essentially a full build out of the EA nfitz posted.

now I'm interested in the details for this. Does this include the full build out of the plan detailed in the EA with the increased VIA service as well as the primitive all day 2 way GO service to Bramalea? If so, TOareaFan may get something similar to what he wants. VIA is federal however, is wynne in talks with Harper to get that VIA service? is it just going to be paid for by the province? will it happen at all? so many questions... provided the announcement today is essentially a full build out of the EA nfitz posted.

To be clear...what "TOareaFan wants" is hourly 2 way off peak service 7 days a week.....like the old Lakeshore service.....so more than hourly during the peaks and hourly off peak.

If you look at that schedule, there is roughly 15 minute peak service to mount pleasant and a couple of very weak off peak services to Bramalea. Not perfect obviously, but an improvement.

The 20-30 minutes would be saved via:

1) Improved tracks between Kitchener and Georgetown would mean an increased speed of GO trains shaving time off.
2) With CTC and improved crossings (plus potential for slow area in Guelph could also see changes) being installed along this section right now it will cut the delay at Georgetown (going onto/off mainline) and Guelph (when going to Kitchener).
3) It would seem to still go express from Bramalea (or Brampton) thus picking up the same large numbers and with express from Kitchener/Guelph it will see increased ridership.

Greyhound takes on average 1 and 15 mins to 1 hour an half from Guelph, up to 2 during PM rush. Kitchener is about 2 hours. Current trains are 1.5 hr and 2.

Last edited:
Maybe a direct Union-KW GO bus route???

...oh no wait. That'd make too much sense.

I believe Greyhound holds the license for the Kitchener-Toronto route.

Absolutely.
The removal of multiple PSO's (30mph at Weston, 35mph at West Toronto) should save a significant amount of time since a fully loaded 12 pack takes forever to reaccelerate to maximum speed. That plus an increase in the maximum track speed to 90mph (up from sections of 80, 70 & 55mph) would easily account for the additional 10+ min savings in travel time. So there's no subterfuge going on there.
What would it take to remove the multiple PSO's along the line?

The 20-30 minutes would be saved via:

1) improved tracks between Kitchener and Georgetown, meaning increased speeds of trains
2) CTC and improved crossings (potential for slow area in Guelph to see changes) is being installed along this section and will make it easier and faster for trains to go instead of waiting like they do in many cases at Georgetown (onto mainline) and Guelph (to Kitchener).
3) It would still go express from Bramalea (or Brampton) thus picking up large numbers still and growth from Kitchener/Guelph etc.

I really hope #2. happens sooner than later. Travelling through Guelph is painfully slow, as it entering/exiting Georgetown!

I believe Greyhound holds the license for the Kitchener-Toronto route.

Forgive my ignorance as I'm not quite as well informed as many on here, but is that to say that Greyhound and the province are in some sort of non-competition agreement for the KW-Toronto bus market? If so, I find that a little ridiculous; if not, then I don't believe that GO should be forced to make any concessions in the business of public transit to a private competitor.

In the end they have the legal obligation to. I feel that is why Lindsay gets their private Can-Ar bus that actually uses the GO bus terminal instead of GO operating some form of service connecting to Oshawa GO like they do for Peterborough. Can-Ar won the rights for that trip a long while ago and GO hasn't been able to take it from them.

Well that's more than a little depressing to know that there's a legal system in place to stifle truly "public" transit expansion. Thanks for the info.

TriTAG just posted a very relevant article on Ontario's intercity bus system, how GO is affected, the the push for reform
http://www.tritag.ca/blog/2014/03/17/ontario-intercity-bus-system/

here's the industry website
http://www.wheresthebus.ca/

this topic may be deserving of its own thread

I think more discussion on it definitely has merit, as this is an issue that I at least have found a bit confusing for quite some time.

But if what your article is saying is correct then GO's hands aren't tied by Greyhound and if they so chose they could offer Toronto-KW bus service?

I've heard rumors (online) that if GO were to introduce Kitchener-Union service, Greyhound threatened to pull out of the Kitchener-Toronto market altogether.
I'm not sure how the dynamic would play out between a publicly-subsidized operator (GO) competing head on with Greyhound/Coach Canada/other.

I've heard rumors (online) that if GO were to introduce Kitchener-Union service, Greyhound threatened to pull out of the Kitchener-Toronto market altogether.
I'm not sure how the dynamic would play out between a publicly-subsidized operator (GO) competing head on with Greyhound/Coach Canada/other.

It would be interesting for sure. But without Greyhound in the mix GO's ridership would increase substantially in that corridor and (hopefully) the public at large would put more pressure on the province for better Kitchener rail service...so that could be a good thing :p

Back