News   Jul 11, 2024
 4.3K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 81     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 348     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Maybe we were in a different discussion but the consensus seemed to be that hourly AD2W service is possible at the conclusion fo the current work.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...n-Express-(Metrolinx-U-C)?p=834270#post834270

Which stations between Mt Pleasant and Union don't have two platforms (I can only think of Etobicoke north but that is being rebuilt).

I understand that in her remarks the Premier committed that KW would get AD2W at the same time as Brampton.

Dude, relax. Brampton will get AD2W service looong before KW gets it. 2WAD will extend to Mt. Pleasant. KW will just get more peak trains starting in 2016, which benefits Brampton too.

Dude, relax. Brampton will get AD2W service looong before KW gets it. 2WAD will extend to Mt. Pleasant. KW will just get more peak trains starting in 2016, which benefits Brampton too.

I am as relaxed as I can be....but please don't call me "dude".

As much as what you say makes sense, it is not what the Premier said today and she (and no one in her government) has ever put a timeline on AD2W service to Brampton.

I am as relaxed as I can be....but please don't call me "dude".

As much as what you say makes sense, it is not what the Premier said today and she (and no one in her government) has ever put a timeline on AD2W service to Brampton.

Can we agree that these additional 4 trips (2 in the AM and 2 in the PM) represent a small victory for the entire line?

Can we agree that these additional 4 trips (2 in the AM and 2 in the PM) represent a small victory for the entire line?

Without details...no. For example, the 4 trains are announced as additional trains to Kitchener...most likely they are just further extensions of existing trains (or trains that were already being added to Brampton after GTS work is done and now will go futher) so net gain there to the rest of the line is 0.

Further, one of the things that is suggested in the press release is that one of the trains will be express from KW to Union...saving the people on it 20 - 30 minutes but bypassing the rest of the people....so, if it is already existing/planned trains and one trip is now bypassing the real passenger generators on the line....net gain to the line is -1.

If I am angry about anything today it is the continual lying we get from this government. Before the announcement, the gov't/premier were tweeting "Kathleen Wynne ‏@Kathleen_Wynne 1h

I’m thrilled to announce we’re committing to bringing two-way, all-day GO train service between the Waterloo & Toronto Regions. #WRawesome"

The press release is headlined "Full-Day, Two-Way GO Train Service Between Waterloo Region and the Greater Toronto Area"

Since the announcement and the press release, the Premier's press secretary is tweeting "Zita Astravas ‏@ZitaAstravas 16m

Full-Day, Two-Way GO Train Service Between Waterloo Region and the Greater Toronto Area via"

Where in the announcement is there an announcement about AD2W? They are counting on the short attention span of the public and the media to only read the headlines so that they can get the PR benefit of seeming to announce something that they are not at all announcing.

it would presumably be express after Georgetown.

its a bit longer term, AD2W service to K-W wasn't even official policy up until today. It will presumably be in the transit taxes. think of the additional trips as "Phase 1"

it is absolutely vague, but it will hopefully be cleared up over the coming days / weeks. There is a whole lot of vagueness coming out from the government over transit currently as they are trying to cash in on the political points before releasing the full details in the budget.

Without details...no. For example, the 4 trains are announced as additional trains to Kitchener...most likely they are just further extensions of existing trains (or trains that were already being added to Brampton after GTS work is done and now will go futher) so net gain there to the rest of the line is 0.

Further, one of the things that is suggested in the press release is that one of the trains will be express from KW to Union...saving the people on it 20 - 30 minutes but bypassing the rest of the people....so, if it is already existing/planned trains and one trip is now bypassing the real passenger generators on the line....net gain to the line is -1.

If I am angry about anything today it is the continual lying we get from this government. Before the announcement, the gov't/premier were tweeting "Kathleen Wynne ‏@Kathleen_Wynne 1h

I’m thrilled to announce we’re committing to bringing two-way, all-day GO train service between the Waterloo & Toronto Regions. #WRawesome"

The press release is headlined "Full-Day, Two-Way GO Train Service Between Waterloo Region and the Greater Toronto Area"

Since the announcement and the press release, the Premier's press secretary is tweeting "Zita Astravas ‏@ZitaAstravas 16m

Full-Day, Two-Way GO Train Service Between Waterloo Region and the Greater Toronto Area via"

Where in the announcement is there an announcement about AD2W? They are counting on the short attention span of the public and the media to only read the headlines so that they can get the PR benefit of seeming to announce something that they are not at all announcing.

"most likely they are just further extensions of existing trains". Why is it most likely that the 4 new trips will all be extensions of current trips? If 4 new train trips originating from Kitchener to Union are announced, the entire line benefits. If that ends up being the case, I will consider it to be a small victory for the line.

Having worked at GO, I find it unthinkable that one of the trains will be express from KW to Union. It will likely follow the existing express format on the line, which is express between Bramalea and Union. It wouldn't make sense to entirely by-pass the 3 Brampton stations, transit-wise or politically.

The article is vague and deceiving by implying 2WAD service between the GTA and Waterloo Region, and I believe it's a mistake to say that people will save 20-30 minutes on their trip between KW and Toronto.

Last edited:
"most likely they are just further extensions of existing trains". Why is it most likely that the 4 new trips will all be extensions of current trips? If 4 new train trips originating from Kitchener to Union are announced, the entire line benefits. If that ends up being the case, I will consider it to be a small victory for the line.

Political speak...if the trains were not existing (or currently planned...ie if it were new service to the rest of the line) then the presser would have cashed in on that by pointing out the benefit to the other communities too.

Having worked at GO, I find it unthinkable that one of the trains will be express from KW to Union. It will likely follow the existing express format on the line, which is express between Bramalea and Union. It wouldn't make sense to entirely by-pass the 3 Brampton stations, transit-wise or politically.

Then the time saving would be no where near "20-30 minutes"....I think the current express from Bramalea saves 10/11 minutes or so.

The article is vague and deceiving by implying 2WAD service between the GTA and Waterloo Region, and I believe it's a mistake to say that people will save 20-30 minutes on their trip between KW and Toronto.

the headline of the Government Press release (not an article) is a flat out lie.

it would presumably be express after Georgetown.

That would not save 20 - 30 minutes.

it is absolutely vague, but it will hopefully be cleared up over the coming days / weeks. There is a whole lot of vagueness coming out from the government over transit currently as they are trying to cash in on the political points before releasing the full details in the budget.

When a government issued press release is headlined "Full-Day, Two-Way GO Train Service Between Waterloo Region and the Greater Toronto Area" and the release talks about 2 peak time trains (which likely already exist and are just being extended) and gives no details about the hows/whens/wheres/how much of AD2W service...it goes beyond vague....it is a lie!

While I'm glad something is happening and things will improve, it's hard to be very excited and not feel some disappointment that the title of the press release mentions two way all day, and we have no idea when that will happen.

When will I be able to take a train from Toronto to KW? That's what I'd like to know if they're going to make an announcement that they are committed to 2WAD.

While I'm glad something is happening and things will improve, it's hard to be very excited and not feel some disappointment that the title of the press release mentions two way all day, and we have no idea when that will happen.

When will I be able to take a train from Toronto to KW? That's what I'd like to know if they're going to make an announcement that they are committed to 2WAD.

Next one leaves at 4:45 pm ;)

When a government issued press release is headlined "Full-Day, Two-Way GO Train Service Between Waterloo Region and the Greater Toronto Area" and the release talks about 2 peak time trains (which likely already exist and are just being extended) and gives no details about the hows/whens/wheres/how much of AD2W service...it goes beyond vague....it is a lie!
That's an assumption. I'm not arguing with you about the press release being vague, inaccurate and deceiving, I'm just saying that no one knows for sure whether these new trips to Kitchener are extensions of existing trips or brand new trips.

That's an assumption. I'm not arguing with you about the press release being vague, inaccurate and deceiving, I'm just saying that no one knows for sure whether these new trips to Kitchener are extensions of existing trips or brand new trips.

I guess we will see.

It reads:

•More GO Train trips: by the end of 2016, Metrolinx expects to introduce two additional morning and afternoon peak period trips

Could it just be one more round trip? After all, it should read:

•More GO Train trips: by the end of 2016, Metrolinx expects to introduce two additional morning and two afternoon peak period trips

The press release is very vague. It reads: "•One trip between Waterloo Region and Toronto could be an express service that could save passengers 20 to 30 minutes per trip." It should be every train to and from Kitchener should be express, not stopping at Malton, Etobicoke North, Weston and possibly Bloor and Mount Pleasant. Local trains from Bramalea or Mt. Pleasant should supplement.

Last edited:

Back