News   Jun 26, 2024
 190     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 322     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 2K     2 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Not sure where I should post this and can be move, but I just found a draft report I did back in 2008 and no idea where the final is on the RTP. I know I sent it in.

This covers all areas from funding, service, routes and equipment. Reading this report I was taken back some what as it mostly what I have being pushing for these days and forgot about other things. It goes hand in hand to what others are calling for. This is a very early draft I did at the time.

http://transiturban.ca/transit/reports/draftMetrolinxdraft.doc

As for extra trips to KW, it will be most likely be current service to Georgetown. They will pull out the plans for the plan location for the new layover yard and build it now along with doubling track the corridor. It will deal with the issue of lack of space to store 12 car trains in Georgetown now. They need to get the 4th track in from Georgetown to Bramalea with a fly under at Bramalea to the north side to stay out of CN way. This also includes the 3rd track in Brampton and moving the Brampton station north.

When will I be able to take a train from Toronto to KW? That's what I'd like to know if they're going to make an announcement that they are committed to 2WAD.

THIS.

When will someone living in the GTA be able to take the GO train to work in KW or Guelph?

My understanding was that Metrolinx planned to introduce a passing track (second platform) in Guelph for 2015, so presumably that's when it would be physically possible to run counter-peak trains.

Yet the press release only talks about peak-direction trains, which could actually prevent counter-peak service by using up track capacity on the single-track line west of Georgetown.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I was under the assumption that all tracks after Bramalea are owned by one of CN/CP, and the lease won't be up until after 2018? Wouldn't this mean that Metrolinx will need to get control of the full line first before they can run ADW2 to KW?

all day service probably won't come until 2018 anyway, at which point Metrolinx will likely purchase the track.

I am interested in what that announcement will be about.. probably just reconfirming their commitment to AD2W, but still. It would be nice if they were announcing something like the conversion of the bus terminal to an interregional terminal after GO is done with it or something.

all day service probably won't come until 2018 anyway, at which point Metrolinx will likely purchase the track.

I am interested in what that announcement will be about.. probably just reconfirming their commitment to AD2W, but still. It would be nice if they were announcing something like the conversion of the bus terminal to an interregional terminal after GO is done with it or something.

What makes you think all day service will come in 2018?

I have to assume that the announcement tomorrow is bus related since it is specifically being made at the bus terminal.

I have to assume that the announcement tomorrow is bus related since it is specifically being made at the bus terminal.

Maybe a direct Union-KW GO bus route???

...oh no wait. That'd make too much sense.

I meant at least 2018, thats only 4 years away to go from nothing to an EA to construction to opening day, and considering EAs take 2 years..

direct K-W bus route while useful, wouldn't serve much of a purpose as it would be at the same mercies that the private buses currently operating on the corridor already are.

The EA seems to suggest that mid-day trips will only be handled by VIA? the announcement today seems to suggest otherwise, Though the peak trips from that are now accounted for, there are only 2 mid-day trips by VIA, one of which already exists, as well as a bulking up of VIA service in the evening rush, both directions. Thats not all day GO, simply expanded peak GO which this announcement seems to be about. it does include all day service of some primitive kind to Bramalea however. (looks bi-hourly, which is hardly acceptable)

QiMchLj.png

notice how there is no counter peak GO service and how the first train, VIA or GO heading towards Kitchener doesn't even depart Union until around 10:45, a trip that already exists.

Last edited:
Couple express with track upgrades along the line and it very well could.

Absolutely.
The removal of multiple PSO's (30mph at Weston, 35mph at West Toronto) should save a significant amount of time since a fully loaded 12 pack takes forever to reaccelerate to maximum speed. That plus an increase in the maximum track speed to 90mph (up from sections of 80, 70 & 55mph) would easily account for the additional 10+ min savings in travel time. So there's no subterfuge going on there.

Back