News   Jul 16, 2024
 256     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 374     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Having little knowledge of the famed "railroad key", I did some googling. Very interesting history on reversers. Old ones from a century ago are on eBay (and rail memorabilia shops) as ornaments. Even some from the last three decades. (...I wonder if those still work on MP40s...)

How often do reversers change over the years?

It's a pretty widespread trend to move to common platform mobile websites versus having a multitude of apps with which you must maintain compatibility as operating systems change and new phones are launched. The GO mobile site is simple, fast, and provides all necessary information.
I agree (real easy for a multiple blackberry guy to agree with that sentiment ;) )....was just posting it in case anyone here was using/relying on the app...that's all.

I have no problem with GO ignoring 416 residents considering how the City of Toronto bans 905 transit from providing service to Torontonians. Incoming buses from the 905 are not allowed to pick up passengers within Toronto's boundaries.

So the City of Toronto not being served by any agency other the TTC is the City of Toronto's own policy. And even so, the 905 including GO still provides far more service within the 416 than the TTC does in the 905.

You reap what you sow, as far I am concerned. Toronto only brought this upon itself. Considering the way Toronto treats the 905 agencies and 905 riders, I actually hope the GO reduces services within Toronto. So I am certainly against any increased GO service in Toronto and against any co-fare within Toronto. After all, that's exactly what Toronto wants, and Toronto deserves nothing less. Fuck Toronto.

The
I have no problem with GO ignoring 416 residents considering how the City of Toronto bans 905 transit from providing service to Torontonians. Incoming buses from the 905 are not allowed to pick up passengers within Toronto's boundaries.

So the City of Toronto not being served by any agency other the TTC is the City of Toronto's own policy. And even so, the 905 including GO still provides far more service within the 416 than the TTC does in the 905.

You reap what you sow, as far I am concerned. Toronto only brought this upon itself. Considering the way Toronto treats the 905 agencies and 905 riders, I actually hope the GO reduces services within Toronto. So I am certainly against any increased GO service in Toronto and against any co-fare within Toronto. After all, that's exactly what Toronto wants, and Toronto deserves nothing less. Fuck Toronto.
Toronto does not ban 905 transit operators from the 416. The Amalgamated Transit Union does.

I got a chance to sit in one of the new cab cars the other day, and I must admit, the interior felt of lower quality. The chairs especially. They removed the ability to lift up the cushion from the seat in front of you, for when you want to kick your feet up, but not place them on the actual seat itself.

The

Toronto does not ban 905 transit operators from the 416. The Amalgamated Transit Union does.
Given the long term trend, is this something this needs to be reviewed...

...especially with Ontario initiatives to get into local transit (Hurontario, Hamilton LRT, Eglinton Crosstown LRT, GO RER)

...and in twenty years, minibus style transit options poliferating (ala municipally/provincially operated UperPOOL style services, perhaps driverless) as additional options?

Also, I don't think GO should scale back increased Toronto service.

One of the Kitchener trains was cancelled this morning, so at Weston they announced that the train coming in was overcrowded, and that everyone could go to the UP platform and not have to re-tap. We pretty much filled the train.

I used the app right up until the end, but only for Union Station departures (knowing which platform to use; if there's any delays). Loading up a schedule was bad; but Google Maps serves this purpose.

I used the app right up until the end, but only for Union Station departures (knowing which platform to use; if there's any delays). Loading up a schedule was bad; but Google Maps serves this purpose.

I love the screens that Oxford Properties has (e.g. Royal Bank Plaza by Starbucks) that show the GO and TTC times. In a way that you can actually make an informed decision on how to get home.

Maybe they can give us an app (with ads for their retailers). Best summary I've seen!

I think it would be good/great if GO could include track # information at stations other than Union as well. With increased service, the other stations are becoming more like real rail stations and people can approach some of the stations from different directions.

Example, the station I use most often is Brampton....most of the trains depart/arrive on Track 2 (i guess leaving track one for VIA and freight to use) but occasionally there is a shift to track 1......what that has done is increase the number of people who approach the station from the south (either parking in the south lot off railroad or being dropped off on the south side - railroad has become a defacto kiss and ride area - or via transit from the bus station)......but on a couple of ocassions that I have seen people have been caught off guard by trains arriving on Track 1.......aside from posting track info on the app/mobile site it would even be handy to have a track display board on the south side as opposed to only on the north.

Growing pain, yes.....but could/should be nipped in the bud before it becomes more of an issue with more trains/service.....and I can't imagine this is limited to just that station.

I think it would be good/great if GO could include track # information at stations other than Union as well. With increased service, the other stations are becoming more like real rail stations and people can approach some of the stations from different directions.

Example, the station I use most often is Brampton....most of the trains depart/arrive on Track 2 (i guess leaving track one for VIA and freight to use) but occasionally there is a shift to track 1......what that has done is increase the number of people who approach the station from the south (either parking in the south lot off railroad or being dropped off on the south side - railroad has become a defacto kiss and ride area - or via transit from the bus station)......but on a couple of ocassions that I have seen people have been caught off guard by trains arriving on Track 1.......aside from posting track info on the app/mobile site it would even be handy to have a track display board on the south side as opposed to only on the north.

Growing pain, yes.....but could/should be nipped in the bud before it becomes more of an issue with more trains/service.....and I can't imagine this is limited to just that station.

Many Lakeshore Line stations, such as Port Credit, have monitors (and full-time ticket agents that will make audio announcements) that display train status and platform locations. That should be sufficient. But at Brampton, with increased rail service and two separate platforms that trains can use, this is a necessity. GO bus departures could also be displayed, with the corresponding bus bay numbers shown.

Back