News   Jul 16, 2024
 202     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 957     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Why? Because voters in the 905 will be pissed the f*** off?

They can direct their complaints to Queens Park, who would be welcomed to upload the Gardiner back to the province and remove the toll.

There was a report on the city's website suggesting tolling the Gardiner and DVP a few months ago. This would be political suicide though and John Tory won't get reelected if this happens.

There was a report on the city's website suggesting tolling the Gardiner and DVP a few months ago. This would be political suicide though and John Tory won't get reelected if this happens.

Well HOT lanes are coming per the Liberals. They are of course opposed by the other parties, and of course neither of them would end up removing them if elected because they know it's basic common fiscal sense to keep them.

They will spread across the entire GTA within 10 years.

New engines? Or just repainted older engines?
IMG_2282.jpg

How big is the fuel tank on one of these? And how long does it last between fill-ups?
IMG_2276.jpg

Kinda bleak looking east. Train was headed west.
IMG_2273.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2282.jpg
    IMG_2282.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 495
  • IMG_2276.jpg
    IMG_2276.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 381
  • IMG_2273.jpg
    IMG_2273.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 372
Has anyone seen GO 647 (the Tier 4 demo) in service? Does it have a regular assignment at this point?

- Paul

Well HOT lanes are coming per the Liberals. They are of course opposed by the other parties, and of course neither of them would end up removing them if elected because they know it's basic common fiscal sense to keep them.

They will spread across the entire GTA within 10 years.

I mean putting tolls on an entire highway.

I think that any politician that dares toll existing highways will be booted out in the next election.

The general public will put up with HOT lanes, which don't take away regular lanes.

I think that any politician that dares toll existing highways will be booted out in the next election.
The general public will put up with HOT lanes, which don't take away regular lanes.

Tolls are controversial, sure - but don't be so certain that they are unthinkable. Public attitudes are changing, and the need for revenue streams is sinking in. My recollection is that recent polls show more support for tolls than you'd think.

I disagree that the public will tolerate HOT lanes. If anything, these are inflammatory - especially if you are driving stop-and-go in the unpaid lanes and watching the expensive cars streak by in the HOT lane. At the minimum, I predict lots of objection that the toll price (never mind what it is) is too low.... people will see it as not enough for the "rich" users. (not saying that's objectively true) - let the other guy pay more will be the cry.

- Paul

Tolls are controversial, sure - but don't be so certain that they are unthinkable. Public attitudes are changing, and the need for revenue streams is sinking in.

Cut back pubic sector wages/benefits/workforce size and you wouldn't have to continually look for new revenue streams.

Tolls are controversial, sure - but don't be so certain that they are unthinkable. Public attitudes are changing, and the need for revenue streams is sinking in. My recollection is that recent polls show more support for tolls than you'd think.

I disagree that the public will tolerate HOT lanes. If anything, these are inflammatory - especially if you are driving stop-and-go in the unpaid lanes and watching the expensive cars streak by in the HOT lane. At the minimum, I predict lots of objection that the toll price (never mind what it is) is too low.... people will see it as not enough for the "rich" users. (not saying that's objectively true) - let the other guy pay more will be the cry.

- Paul

Tolls on highways entering the city is a very very common exercise in many cities of Toronto's size, world-wide.

Is congestion an issue, yes or no? Is finding revenue sources an issue, yes or no? Would GO-RER looking towards 10-minute all day frequencies on the Lakeshore line be an adequate substitute to driving for most downtown-bound commuters?

Tolls on highways entering the city is a very very common exercise in many cities of Toronto's size, world-wide.

Is congestion an issue, yes or no? Is finding revenue sources an issue, yes or no? Would GO-RER looking towards 10-minute all day frequencies on the Lakeshore line be an adequate substitute to driving for most downtown-bound commuters?
no

View attachment 63666

That's interesting. 607 was the first locomotive that was repainted, and after that, new locomotives from 662 onward were completed in the new livery. I wasn't aware of them repainting other ones until refurbishment was necessary (647 being an exception with the Tier 4 upgrade), so seeing this is a surprise.

Depends.
Define what "most" means, the timing, the cost of commuting the Gardiner versus RER, and if it is in the era of improved transit around the stations.

Undoubtedly, there is no simple answer, but there will be WAY more commuters taking 10-15 minute GO RER (at this stage, for offpeak the smaller trains are needed)

Depends.
Define what "most" means, the timing, the cost of commuting the Gardiner versus RER, and if it is in the era of improved transit around the stations.

Undoubtedly, there is no simple answer, but there will be WAY more commuters taking 10-15 minute GO RER (at this stage, for offpeak the smaller trains are needed)
I regret saying 'most'. I meant, could 10 minute GO-RER handle the demand if a significant number of commuters were taken off the Gardiner due to a toll?

What is the absolute capacity of GO-RER running 15 or even 10 minute headways?

Old engine. It was shopped for some fairly major service in November, and I guess they felt that they might as well paint it at the same time.

How big is the fuel tank on one of these? And how long does it last between fill-ups?

1800 US Gallons. Good for almost 3 round trips from Aldershot to Oshawa (both in terms of distance and time).

Has anyone seen GO 647 (the Tier 4 demo) in service? Does it have a regular assignment at this point?

- Paul

647 won't enter service until February at the very earliest - and that's if it passes all of its tests. I haven't heard too much from it in the past couple of weeks, but they seemed to be happy with its performance thus far.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I regret saying 'most'. I meant, could 10 minute GO-RER handle the demand if a significant number of commuters were taken off the Gardiner due to a toll?

The offpeak trains can probably handle that today in non-event situations today at 30 minute head ways, and very easily at 15min.

It is peak and events you want to be worried about. We'll need large trains at 3 to 5 minute head ways, and we'd need a major signalling upgrade to handle that on the same individual track on LSE/LSW. Mondo $$$$. Ironically, paid by the said tolls.

you are still assuming that the only people using the Gardiner have access to the Lakeshore ReR as a commuting alternative.

Back