News   Jul 16, 2024
 358     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 457     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

" Test trains were 14 cars in length"

So these are headed to the Milton Line I assume?

I wouldnt read anything into the train size. These were performance tests, intended to kick the tires a little. The additional tonnage will help show what the loco is capable of. It may be spec'd for 14 car trains as a 'maybe, someday' exercise, with no immediate plans for that.

- Paul

"Test trains were 14 cars in length, to simulate a fully loaded train."

Bingo.

The locos are still rated for a maximum of 12 cars (and 7 if using only one of the two prime movers). They have been running tests with 14 and 8 cars trains in order to account for additional tonnage that a fully-laden train would carry. It's cheaper to "borrow" two additional coaches than it is to pay for the 1500+ people to ride for 3 or 4 hours.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It's cheaper to "borrow" two additional coaches than it is to pay for the 1500+ people to ride for 3 or 4 hours.
Although its a little surprising they didnt chose the latter option the way the province chooses to spend money these days ;).

Bingo.

The locos are still rated for a maximum of 12 cars (and 7 if using only one of the two prime movers). They have been running tests with 14 and 8 cars trains in order to account for additional tonnage that a fully-laden train would carry. It's cheaper to "borrow" two additional coaches than it is to pay for the 1500+ people to ride for 3 or 4 hours.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Do you think they could find 1,500 UTers to ride a test train?

My guess is Presto announcement - completion of Wave 1 and activating the old streetcars.

Bathurst (or Broadview or Dundas West) would be best location for that.

Confirmed.

Patrick Searle ‏@Patrick4ONT 2h2 hours ago
Big day for @PRESTOcard & streetcars tmr.

9:30AM annc at Bathurst Stn w @StevenDelDuca @TOAdamVaughan & @JoshColle

I don't understand why Metrolinx is buying new diesel trains when they are electrifying the whole system?

I don't understand why Metrolinx is buying new diesel trains when they are electrifying the whole system?
You are not going to electrify 100% of all GO Rail system by 2025. Even Metrolinx has stated not all sections of corridors own by them will be 100% done since the quality of service doesn't justify it at this time.

Until you get CN & CP to buy in on electrify their lines, you need different power with the new models being use there.

You want more service now or by 2017, you need more locos to do it and that what these new equipment will be used for.

Until Metrolinx knows who can supply EMU power, how much per unit and delivery time, they can't ordering them until that info is known. Then it becomes a budget issue.

Once everything is known and orders place, the first batch of existing power will be sold off once the new equipment goes into service.

As I stated in the past, the idea of converting the existing fleet to Tier IV has been scrap and the cost saving was better used to buy new power since it was cheaper to do.

I realize that electrical trains are faster, non-polluting, and are quieter but from a purely economic standpoint are they still cheaper to run today?

What I mean is that with oil/diesel prices at rock bottom and assuming {admittedly a big assumption} were to stay this way while electrical bills continue to go up, would it still be cheaper to run electric over diesel?

Also, seeing fuel is one of the biggest costs GO has and yet diesel prices have plunged you would think that would be great news for GO's bottom line so how are they justifying the newly announced higher fares?

I realize that electrical trains are faster, non-polluting, and are quieter but from a purely economic standpoint are they still cheaper to run today?

What I mean is that with oil/diesel prices at rock bottom and assuming {admittedly a big assumption} were to stay this way while electrical bills continue to go up, would it still be cheaper to run electric over diesel?

Also, seeing fuel is one of the biggest costs GO has and yet diesel prices have plunged you would think that would be great news for GO's bottom line so how are they justifying the newly announced higher fares?

Can't say definitively, but you might want to account for:
  • the transaction and delivery costs (efforts to ensure adequate supply and getting it to each layover and maintenance facility);
  • social costs (Tier IV is good but still an emission); and
  • carbon costs (forgoing the sale of, or, the need to purchase carbon permits under the upcoming provincial cap-and-trade program).

Fuel is bought well in advance, or at least the cost of it is negotiated in advance and fixed. If I recall correctly the TTC agreed on a multi-year contract some time ago which allowed them significant cost savings, but that was all about timing.

Further, the cost of fuel does not correlate well to the price of oil. Western Canadian bitumen can be bought for about 30% of the price at which it sold one year ago, but you will notice the price of gasoline has fallen only 30%, not 70%.

Fuel is bought well in advance, or at least the cost of it is negotiated in advance and fixed. If I recall correctly the TTC agreed on a multi-year contract some time ago which allowed them significant cost savings, but that was all about timing.

Further, the cost of fuel does not correlate well to the price of oil. Western Canadian bitumen can be bought for about 30% of the price at which it sold one year ago, but you will notice the price of gasoline has fallen only 30%, not 70%.

At least part of that is attributed to the precipitous fall in the Canadian dollar.....the price of oil barrels is always in $US...but when we buy the refined product to pump into our cars we are paying with $CD....add in that a) there is no evidence that the cost of refining has changed at all and b) the per litre taxes are set a fixed amounts ....and it goes a long way to explain why the cost of gasoline has not fallen nearly as far as the raw product being pumped out of the ground.

Back