News   Jul 16, 2024
 204     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 962     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Many Lakeshore Line stations, such as Port Credit, have monitors (and full-time ticket agents that will make audio announcements) that display train status and platform locations. That should be sufficient. But at Brampton, with increased rail service and two separate platforms that trains can use, this is a necessity. GO bus departures could also be displayed, with the corresponding bus bay numbers shown.
I'm surprised this isn't being done today.

Of all stations, Mimico has screens showing which platform the train is arriving on.

I'm surprised this isn't being done today.

Of all stations, Mimico has screens showing which platform the train is arriving on.
I need to clarify....Brampton also has two screens (one indoor and one outdoor) but they are both on the north side (by track 1) which made sense when the station was almost fully oriented that way and when most trains used track 1. Now more and more people arrive directly from the south (near track 2) and have to assume the new norm (ie. trains on track 2) as there is no way to tell otherwise....been involved in a couple of mad scrambles to surprise "track 1" departures and I would think (system wide) as the use of the stations and multiple tracks grows...so should the information flow to passengers.....including track departure information on the mobile web site would seem a fairly low cost way of doing that....and I would think that the same system that controls the union board also controls all the other stations' boards so linking it to the website should not be too difficult a task.

What does this mean?
Turf wars. My understanding is that TTC ATU executives don't want other unions' drivers picking up and dropping off their precious passengers; at least not through one off or ad-hoc arrangements. They may be amenable to a total revamp agreement but that's never been in scope of being proposed so we don't know how they would counter it.

I need to clarify....Brampton also has two screens (one indoor and one outdoor) but they are both on the north side (by track 1) which made sense when the station was almost fully oriented that way and when most trains used track 1. Now more and more people arrive directly from the south (near track 2) and have to assume the new norm (ie. trains on track 2) as there is no way to tell otherwise.

Sounds like a gap they are not aware of. Lakeshore line stations seem to have seven or eight of these at almost every stop. Even remote Aldershot has them at all entrances, north and south side, and several more inside the station building, plus an additional TV showing CP24.

The info screens in each station - and Bramalea will be getting a host more of them as part of the ongoing upgrades happening there - are operated by the Commuter Central office in Union Station. The attendant information system that is displayed to the station attendants in each station is also broadcast from that same office, but is a completely separate system and frequently manned by a different person altogether.

The issues arise from a couple of different scenarios. Sometimes, CN and CP can change the track that the train is supposed to operate on. It is then up to CC to get that info from CN and CP, and then transmit it to the train crew and the stations down the line. Keep in mind however, that despite the fact that CN and CP are supposed to inform GO about those changes, it is not unheard of that they don't - and that GO has absolutely, positively, no recourse.

In other case, it's just simply a matter of poor communication within CC - the one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. During rush hours CC can be a pretty hectic place, and sometimes requests and commands get overlooked. It's not unheard of for the station attendants to be broadcast a message that a train will be operating on another track, but the person in charge of the station display network didn't get that message - or vice versa.

To be fair, I think that the system within Union is another independent system separate from the others, so tapping into the systems used at the outlaying stations may not be quite as easy as it was with the main Union Station one.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

One of the Kitchener trains was cancelled this morning, so at Weston they announced that the train coming in was overcrowded, and that everyone could go to the UP platform and not have to re-tap. We pretty much filled the train.

Is this the first time this has happened? I'm surprised I didn't see any media or social media reports about this.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever wondered how a tolled Gardiner would drastically increase the ridership of the Lakeshore and Georgetown GO-RER routes following the completion of RER?

Has anyone ever wondered how a tolled Gardiner would drastically increase the ridership of the Lakeshore and Georgetown GO-RER routes following the completion of RER?

I think an even more interesting effect would be the massive speed-up of GO buses that travel along it, reducing their costs and running time, increasing reliability, frequency, and demand.

I think the more accurate answer, "Never, if I can help it, as a living voter, in my own lifetime!"

I have to drive the Gardiner to Toronto from Hamilton sometimes. But I would not be opposed to tolls if it made a lot of sense and it came with attached guaranteed transit upgrades (e.g. high speed train from Hamilton to Toronto ... e.g. project got funded and approved concurrently with immediately starting an uncancellable upgrade of RER into a RER+HSR system.)

To tolerate tolls on Gardiner, I'll even settle for confirmed 15-min electrified RER begun all the way into Hamilton West Harbour GO and Stoney Creek GO, with an infill Gage GO station. With good LRT (for West Harbour GO and Stoney Creek/Eastgate GO) and good frequent bus transit (for Gage GO) connections.

Last edited:
I think the more accurate ass, "Never, if I can help it, as a living voter, in my own lifetime!"

I have to drive the Gardiner to Toronto from Hamilton sometimes. But I would not be opposed to tolls if it made a lot of sense and it came with attached guaranteed transit upgrades (e.g. high speed train from Hamilton to Toronto ... e.g. project got funded and approved concurrently with immediately starting an uncancellable upgrade of RER into a RER+HSR system.)

To tolerate tolls on Gardiner, I'll even settle for confirmed 15-min electrified RER begun all the way into Hamilton West Harbour GO and Stoney Creek GO, with an infill Gage GO station. With good LRT (for West Harbour GO and Stoney Creek/Eastgate GO) and good frequent bus transit (for Gage GO) connections.
The initial question that started this little debate was predicated on the notion that two ReR lines (Lakeshore and Georgetown) already existed (as the question was would tolls increase the use of those ReR services) so there would be (in the scenario proposed) no need to guarantee/confirm the ReR...they would already exist.

Back