News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

From gotransit.com yesterday, about the flooding:

GO TRAIN STATUS:

LAKESHORE WEST and LAKESHORE EAST LINES:
Lakeshore West Passengers: A portion of the track west of Long Branch
is completely under water, making us unable to operate trains along the
Lakeshore West line. We are investigating alternatives and an update
will be provided as information becomes available.

As our trains run from west to east, Lakeshore East Passengers will
experience delays and possible cancellations this evening. Updates will
be provided as they become available.

RICHMOND HILL LINE:
The Union 18:45 - Richmond Hill 19:28 train trip was rerouted using an
alternate rail line and reconnected with the regular line south of
Langstaff and therefore only served Langstaff and Richmond Hill. The
train arrived Richmond Hill 47 minutes late.

. The Union 19:40 - Richmond Hill 20:23 train trip was cancelled.
Passengers may use their GO tickets/passes to board the TTC at
Union Station or at Leslie Station and travel to Finch where they
can board YRT to thier destination.

MILTON LINE:
Milton Line Passengers: The rail tracks west of Dixie are impassable
due to flooding. As a result the Union 18:15 - Milton 19:13 train trip
terminated at Dixie. Passengers are being accommodated by bus to
their destination.

. The Union 19:00 - Milton 19:58 train trip is cancelled. Passengers
may use their GO tickets/passes to board the TTC at Union Station
and travel to Kipling Station where they can board Missisauga Transit.

The last Richmond Hill line train went up the Barrie line and across the CN York Subdivision to Langstaff. I went out to photograph the train on the freight line, but it caught me off-guard so I didn't get it in a very distinctive location:
9249767173_ab77611e1c_z.jpg

How did it get from the Barrie line to the York subdivision? Trains can only go Westbound onto the York Subdivion if traveling from the Barrie Line. did it enter the York subdivision, stop, and reverse directions?

I agree they need to invest more in their stations, I mean why are the walls in the tunnels at their stations just bare concrete? I mean how cheap can you be?

I agree. Those bare concrete walls with pipes tacked onto them in the pedestrian tunnels at GO stations on are rock bottom for cheapness.

Last edited:
How did it get from the Barrie line to the York subdivision? Trains can only go Westbound onto the York Subdivision if traveling from the Barrie Line. did it enter the York subdivision, stop, and reverse directions?

This is standard operations for VIA's westbound Canadian, so I imagine this was the case for GO.

VIA Trains to London/Windsor/Sarnia today were going around the washout between Long Branch and Port Credit by going through Brampton then on the Halton Sub from Georgetown to Burlington. Had I known, I would've booked a ticket on a train after work to get that "rare mileage"

How did it get from the Barrie line to the York subdivision? Trains can only go Westbound onto the York Subdivion if traveling from the Barrie Line. did it enter the York subdivision, stop, and reverse directions?

That question is exactly the reason I bicycled out in the rain to see this train. Unfortunately I gave up waiting thinking i'd missed it only to hear it behind me as I rode away. By the time I got to the tracks, it was sitting west of the junction.

I figure that since it went out of the wrong end of Union, the train would have been backwards compared to how GO would like it, so unlike the VIA train (which would do a backward southbound to westbound in order to face forward), I'm guessing they did a northbound to westbound turn.

Last edited:
I agree. Those bare concrete walls with pipes tacked onto them in the pedestrian tunnels at GO stations on are rock bottom for cheapness.

It's amazing isn't it? How cheap can one be? In facts it's a disgrace that Metrolinx and GO would actually do that.

That cheapness doesn't really bother me. You see the same in newer railway stations in the US and Europe. I'd rather see capital money spent on platform shelters, perhaps nicer-looking station buildings, rather than worrying about simple, functional platform tunnels that you're in for 30 seconds. Usually the tunnels are built under active tracks and are built by slipping concrete tunnel sections under those tracks. There's no easy way to make the tunnels look nicer, unless you tiled the walls and floor.

That said, an easy improvement could include painting the walls through community and school partnerships.

Had I known, I would've booked a ticket on a train after work to get that "rare mileage"

You should have done it anyways - all services are back to normal today. A friend of mine and I did a trip on 79 to Aldershot, and returned on 78.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Is Richmond hill back to normal? I might take it home today if it is still doing the diversion.

All lines are back in service with slow order where track work was done. Your trip may 10-15 minutes longer than normal.

TTC is now running trains as far as Islington now and still waiting for power work at Kipling. Shuttle buses will still be used between the 2 stations.

The story of the flooded train on Monday. We stopped when we reached flooded tracks, the CSA announced the train will turn back to Union because the train can't operate on flooded tracks. Fine. But they have to change cabs and do a brake test. Uh-oh. After some wait that happened to be crucial, the train started backwards, but then the next wave of flooding came, so we had to stop after maybe 100 or 500 metres, this time for good. (A question to those in the know: if the engineer knew for sure the flood is coming, could he bypass the regulations and skip the brake test to get out of the flooded area before it's too late?)

CSAs called 911. The funny part, as told by the CSA: "We call them, tell them there's a flooded train. They tell us, ok, call us back when it gets serious. Like, whoa? 1400 people stranded in a stream of water, isn't that serious enough?".

Apparently not. After 5 hours (of news such as "The police/firefighters/marines are here and they are thinking how to get you out of here") the only thing they could think of was 2 banana boats, each powered by 2 men grappling a zipline, and one or two motorboats. Each boat would take 3 passengers. Imagine how fast the process would go. The idea of calling some airline and borrowing an airplane raft (how much it can take? 50?) didn't even cross their mind.

Then they told us to wait for a TTC bus to take us to Oriole station. Why Oriole I don't know, maybe one of the trains that was supposed to deadhead was waiting there to get everybody further North to other stations. I didn't use that option and stayed downtown, so I don't know how and when the people boarding these buses made it home.

That question is exactly the reason I bicycled out in the rain to see this train. Unfortunately I gave up waiting thinking i'd missed it only to hear it behind me as I rode away. By the time I got to the tracks, it was sitting west of the junction.

I figure that since it went out of the wrong end of Union, the train would have been backwards compared to how GO would like it, so unlike the VIA train (which would do a backward southbound to westbound in order to face forward), I'm guessing they did a northbound to westbound turn.
It did a northbound to westbound turn and one change of direction. (As I understand, The Canadian changes direction twice: northbound to southbound, then westbound to eastbound, correct?) Then it proceeded east on the south track of the York sub.

Interesting thing happened later. The train was standing for half an hour waiting for the signal to cross the westbound (northern) track and turn North to Bala sub. First it was a freight train. Hoped to go after that, but no. Turns out, it was now waiting for the 4:30 and 5:30 deadhead trains (coupled into one train) to clear the Bala tracks and go back to Union. CN didn't want to give too much priority to GO with all these nonstandard "diversions".
Is Richmond hill back to normal? I might take it home today if it is still doing the diversion.
The line is back to normal operation on Bala sub, no more diversions. Sorry man, you've missed it.

The story of the flooded train on Monday. We stopped when we reached flooded tracks, the CSA announced the train will turn back to Union because the train can't operate on flooded tracks. Fine. But they have to change cabs and do a brake test. Uh-oh. After some wait that happened to be crucial, the train started backwards, but then the next wave of flooding came, so we had to stop after maybe 100 or 500 metres, this time for good. (A question to those in the know: if the engineer knew for sure the flood is coming, could he bypass the regulations and skip the brake test to get out of the flooded area before it's too late?)

CSAs called 911. The funny part, as told by the CSA: "We call them, tell them there's a flooded train. They tell us, ok, call us back when it gets serious. Like, whoa? 1400 people stranded in a stream of water, isn't that serious enough?".

Apparently not. After 5 hours (of news such as "The police/firefighters/marines are here and they are thinking how to get you out of here") the only thing they could think of was 2 banana boats, each powered by 2 men grappling a zipline, and one or two motorboats. Each boat would take 3 passengers. Imagine how fast the process would go. The idea of calling some airline and borrowing an airplane raft (how much it can take? 50?) didn't even cross their mind.

Then they told us to wait for a TTC bus to take us to Oriole station. Why Oriole I don't know, maybe one of the trains that was supposed to deadhead was waiting there to get everybody further North to other stations. I didn't use that option and stayed downtown, so I don't know how and when the people boarding these buses made it home.

As I've said in other threads, I'm surprised that there isn't more outrage over how the situation was handled. I understand that resources were thin, but there should have been crews at the scene within an hour, maybe two tops. The fact that it took 4 hours for them to get there is absolutely disgraceful. What if something gave and the train sinked, bringing everyone on board to their deaths after hour number three? Forget the outrage about the tragedy, what would they say to reporters when asked why there were no emergency crews on scene after three hours and counting?!

I'm surprised that politicians which serve the areas around the stations (mayors, MPPs, etc) aren't demanding an inquiry as to why it took so long for rescue crews to arrive, and how such a rescue could be handled better in the future.

The train is lying on a railbed at the bottom of the Don Vally. What force will suddenly drop a 300m long section of well reinforced earth 20 feet?

There were concerns that the cars would tip over. Probably unfounded, but I did talk to some people who stayed on the first level despite the flooding because they feared of too much weight up top.

My point was more what-if than anything else. What if a second wave of storms ended up submerging the train? What if this wave hit after 3 or 4 hours, giving plenty of ample time to get passengers off the train? Telling the media that their rescue was "not a priority" would not sound too well on the cameras.

Back