News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

All GO equipment will be GPS. You will be able to track them on any mobile device by year end or early 2014.

Has already happened, see here; www.gotracker.ca/gotracker/web

By the end of 2014, AA will replace the CSA of that duty.

They were also experimenting with automated ramps, might be in place shortly after then to speed things up.

Lots of other changes are coming.

Yup, one interesting thing I ve learned was that with the UPE being a separate division it will have its own dispatching. And basically, in case of train movement conflicts UPE trains will have priority.

You should have seen the mess on King St at John St area. In one place I counted 20 streetcars, 25 cars with 32 people in them.

Hummmmm!!!!!!.............25 cars =32 people vs. 20 Streetcars with about 1,000+ people. Something wrong with that picture. I have the photo.

They even had the 501 using the loop to short turn at Spadina of all things.

I did see it....had to work my way from the office in the King Uni area to BMO Field last night. King seemed to take the brunt of the closed Lakeshore. From what I heard, ironically, the Gardiner was much much lighter than usual....I guess the people who would be heading south from the core to get on the Gardiner opted for King as an east west route.

Yup, one interesting thing I ve learned was that with the UPE being a separate division it will have its own dispatching. And basically, in case of train movement conflicts UPE trains will have priority.

Not their own dispatching - all dispatching will be handled from the new Metrolinx office in Oakville - but rather will have priority over all other movements.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Were they trying to get them right, or were they doing their own thing?

ERA was the heritage architect, and they got a very cool paint analysis done. It said "beige over red-brown". Maybe drum's camera colours are a bit too saturated but I don't see how anybody could call what they painted beige or (red-) brown. As to bringing the red too far up the wall, that just seems bizarre.

If anybody knows more I'd love to hear it.

There is a close shot
9196489672_384200aacb_b.jpg

9196493978_723cbbda42_b.jpg

9193704887_54516b2aa9_b.jpg

9193718789_6705e41ac0_b.jpg

Not their own dispatching - all dispatching will be handled from the new Metrolinx office in Oakville - but rather will have priority over all other movements.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Hmm, when I last spoke to the boys down at commuter central a month or so ago, err I mean "GO operations" now, they all seemed to be clamoring over future positions made exclusively for the UPE.

I think drum was referring to the buses. Wasn't there something in the GO presentations last week saying that GPS would wouldn't be fully rolled out on buses until 2014?

Ah, I see that makes sense.

Took the 12:20pm Barrie northbound GO Train today and it was pretty busy! Each car I walked through had 30-50 people in it and most of them were infrequent riders. When the ticket checker came around, everyone except myself in my coach had tickets rather than presto cards.

I wish that the first northbound train was a bit earlier in the day. The 12:20 train doesn't arrive at Allandale until 1:55, which is lightly late for lunch and too early for dinner if one wants to try any of Barrie's downtown restaurants (or like me, would like to bike the rail trail to Orillia or even as far as Midland), and the schedule seems to be mostly designed for day trips to Toronto, as opposed to the Niagara service, which facilitates both Toronto and Niagara-bound day trippers.

Took the 12:20pm Barrie northbound GO Train today and it was pretty busy! Each car I walked through had 30-50 people in it and most of them were infrequent riders.
That sounds very positive? Do they use shortened trains like they do on Niagara Falls?

That sounds very positive? Do they use shortened trains like they do on Niagara Falls?

Full 10 car train with twin power.

It's awesome to see a GO Transit station with architectural flair. They need to invest more in the architecture of other stations, at least the ones with the highest ridership.

I agree they need to invest more in their stations, I mean why are the walls in the tunnels at their stations just bare concrete? I mean how cheap can you be?

Took the 12:20pm Barrie northbound GO Train today and it was pretty busy! Each car I walked through had 30-50 people in it and most of them were infrequent riders. When the ticket checker came around, everyone except myself in my coach had tickets rather than presto cards.

Let's assume 35 per car.

Full 10 car train with twin power.

10 X 35 = 350.

Keep that up Barrie riders....that is exactly the average off peak ridership Lakeshore had before they were deemed to have earned 1/2 hourly service.

Back