News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I've often wondered whether there could eventually be a north-south service in the west end: Niagara Falls / Hamilton / Cambridge / Waterloo? At least, a GO bus service between Hamilton and Waterloo might make sense.

I was actually looking at that last weekend. I was looking to get from Hamilton or Burlington to Kitchener by bus. The options were virtually non-existent, aside from a major detour via Square One using GO, or a less than desirable Greyhound schedule.

I know that trip pattern isn't big right now, but it would be nice to have some kind of GO service there.

I was actually looking at that last weekend. I was looking to get from Hamilton or Burlington to Kitchener by bus. The options were virtually non-existent, aside from a major detour via Square One using GO, or a less than desirable Greyhound schedule.
What about the regular scheduled bus that Canada Coach has been running for decades. I last used it in the 1980s, and it's still running according to their website - doesn't look much different than it did a quarter-century ago.

7 departures a day from Kitchener to Hamilton. It runs between the bus terminals of the two cities, with a stop at McMaster.

Here's the current schedule - http://www.coachcanada.com/CoachUsaAssets/files/116/HamSep2012.pdf but it changes next month - http://www.coachcanada.com/CoachUsaAssets/files/116/HamApr2013.pdf It has good connections to their Hamilton/St. Catharines/Niagara Falls bus.

That's if they keep it going; Guelph-Hamilton Coach Canada buses were cancelled a couple of years ago. Another company had to step in and provide service on the route. GO buses are less likely to be cancelled like that. Service reductions maybe, but not outright cancellation.

GO already has Guelph-Mississauga and Kitchener-Mississauga bus routes. I think Guelph-Hamilton and Kitcher-Hamilton are only a matter of time.

What about the regular scheduled bus that Canada Coach has been running for decades. I last used it in the 1980s, and it's still running according to their website - doesn't look much different than it did a quarter-century ago.

7 departures a day from Kitchener to Hamilton. It runs between the bus terminals of the two cities, with a stop at McMaster.

Here's the current schedule - http://www.coachcanada.com/CoachUsaAssets/files/116/HamSep2012.pdf but it changes next month - http://www.coachcanada.com/CoachUsaAssets/files/116/HamApr2013.pdf It has good connections to their Hamilton/St. Catharines/Niagara Falls bus.

Didn't even think of that, but then again I've never travelled with Coach Canada before.

But yes, I think with the continued growth of K-W-G, connecting that to the western end of the GTHA via GO transit is going to be a necessity.

GO already has Guelph-Mississauga and Kitchener-Mississauga bus routes. I think Guelph-Hamilton and Kitcher-Hamilton are only a matter of time.
Kitchener Hamilton is a much bigger market than Guelph-Hamilton. I'm not sure if there were 7 trips a day back 25 years ago ... if they are really doing that number of trips per day, I'd assume they are making money on it. If they weren't, there'd be less departures.

I'm not sure why GO would want to step in, if it's running fine privately.

That is out of date now. The up to date map is on the previous page.

Here's the more detailed map up to date for 2013;
8582222472_5d1dc18969_c.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69004511@N03/8582222472/in/photostream

Last edited:
Especially between Lincolnville and Uxbridge!

Once we have bi-directional, all-day 20 minute service, I would be fine with extending train service to Uxbridge, but even then I question the post-greenbelt economics of it. Even by 2031, it's only expected to have about 27,000 residents (from about 20,000 in 2011). By contrast, even Stouffville will have 60,000 residents by 2031 (from 37,000 in 2011). I would be curious to know how many people get on the bus at Uxbridge, but I would imagine there aren't that many. Given it's a 20-minute bus ride, I'd imagine most people just drive to Lincolnville to catch the train.

I'm not advocating the extension of train service to Uxbridge.

Interestingly, this is one of the first sections of track GO Transit has ever owned (the first was the purpose-built Durham Sub from Whitby to Pickering), purchased because CN was going to rip out all the track from Lindsay to Stouffville in 1990. At the time, extending train service to Uxbridge was strongly considered for the near future. Fast forward 23 years, and the only trains on that section are YDHR tourist trains, though it did allow GO to build a new yard a bit farther out at Lincolnville to store more, longer trains.

Once we have bi-directional, all-day 20 minute service, I would be fine with extending train service to Uxbridge, but even then I question the post-greenbelt economics of it. Even by 2031, it's only expected to have about 27,000 residents (from about 20,000 in 2011). By contrast, even Stouffville will have 60,000 residents by 2031 (from 37,000 in 2011). I would be curious to know how many people get on the bus at Uxbridge, but I would imagine there aren't that many. Given it's a 20-minute bus ride, I'd imagine most people just drive to Lincolnville to catch the train.

20 minutes?

20 minutes?
I don't see any reason that route shouldn't be once every 20 minutes, at least as far as Markham - and perhaps even Mount Joy, given how close it is to Markham. It's a very urbanized corridor until that point.

If they actually came up with TTC/GO fare integration, I'd have thought the service from Union to Agincourt would even support a 15-minute service.

Though if they did this, is would be nice to see off-peak and some peak trains stopping again at either Danforth or Scarborough, to allow those travelling from, say, Rouge Hill to Markham to change there, instead of having to go all the way into Union.

I don't see any reason that route shouldn't be once every 20 minutes, at least as far as Markham - and perhaps even Mount Joy, given how close it is to Markham. It's a very urbanized corridor until that point.

If they actually came up with TTC/GO fare integration, I'd have thought the service from Union to Agincourt would even support a 15-minute service.

Though if they did this, is would be nice to see off-peak and some peak trains stopping again at either Danforth or Scarborough, to allow those travelling from, say, Rouge Hill to Markham to change there, instead of having to go all the way into Union.

I just don't think the man power is available for that now, I thought I have to agree.

As an actual resident of uxbridge, the busses are heavily used during rush hour so to speak, typically around 3/4 full, when they are running only to lincolnville. The midday trips leave uxbridge with anywhere from 3-7 passengers, typically pick up one or two in goodwood (surprising considering the size of the place), and then travels to stouffville. As much as I wish the train was extended here, I don't really see the demand. It would likely receive similar ridership to Kitchener, but with much less ridership potential. You would also likely get some drive in customers from port perry as well as their only other option is to drive down to the 401 or future 407 and go downtown via car.

As for the corridor, it is crap. Very tight turns would restrict speeds, and it is maintained by volunteers at the YDHR. Many of the wooden planks are rotted through, and the rail bed gets a scattering of gravel every couple of years. It runs over wooden bridges in many portions, and can have 3 foot weeds growing in between the tracks in others. On a slightly more positive note, the YDHR has recently purchased some new Budd rail cars from the now defunct Guelph junction express, meaning that the trains now have air conditioning and a bathroom on board. Talk about Sunday afternoon historic train (1950's) riding in comfort!

I also find it quite humorous that our mayor has claimed the GO train service will be coming here soon, while in reality it is likely still 20+ years away.

Last edited:

Back