News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

When the Kitchener line gets all day service, Mississauga will be the only 905 municipality with two or more GO Train lines with all-day service. Mississaugans shouldn't complain.

I think what makes it harder for Mississauga is that it's much less oriented around the Lakeshore GO line than either Halton or Durham is. When you look at either of those regions, so many of the bus routes are GO-centric (starting at, terminating at, or passing through a GO station). The development pattern is also lengthwise parallel to the Lakeshore line (doesn't go north of Dundas except in a few spots), where as Mississauga is largely perpendicular to the Lakeshore line.

When the Kitchener line gets all day service, Mississauga will be the only 905 municipality with two or more GO Train lines with all-day service. Mississaugans shouldn't complain.

Thank You. 10 mins across town in Sauga! Milton will get service two and that will be three lines through the city. Hamilton would love for Mississauga level service now.

That's interesting. So are you suggesting that the bus schedules that GO puts on their website are fake and that they don't actually run any buses?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Does GO have stats on bus reliability? Trains are almost always on time, but the bus can take anywhere from 30 minutes (faster than the train) to almost two hours depending on traffic (using Markham to Union as an example). This includes off peak hours and the weekend. Whenever I need to take a GO bus, I usually add quite a bit of buffer time when planning my trip. I guess my point is this is why only trains are considered "proper service" along routes that travel any highway that isn't the 407.

As a side note, I'm peeved that only lakeshore is getting more service after the Jays' home opener. Even after regular Jays games last year we had a lot of people standing in bus aisles.

While technically true (Kitchener serves Malton), the line that serves that most populated areas of the city is without all-day service: Dixie, Cooksville, Erindale, Streetsville, Lisgar and Meadowvale are all without all-day GO Train service.

As a side note, I'm peeved that only lakeshore is getting more service after the Jays' home opener. Even after regular Jays games last year we had a lot of people standing in bus aisles.

Hopefully they'll continue this for additional Jays games, especially weekend games. I'll be going to the Red Sox game the 1st Saturday of the season, and I'm dreading how full the 11:10 out of Burlington is going to be. An 11:40 train would be very well received I think.

While technically true (Kitchener serves Malton), the line that serves that most populated areas of the city is without all-day service: Dixie, Cooksville, Erindale, Streetsville, Lisgar and Meadowvale are all without all-day GO Train service.
And will likely remain so for years, given the obstacles of dealing with a CP and the freight on that line.

Milton Line is already has a third track from Erindale to Cooksville, so i wonder how much more third track they need for all day train service from Erindale to Union at least. Erindale and Cooksville are most important train stations on the line (other than Union of course), so if they had all-day service first it would be great, even if it was 45 minute or hourly frequency.

Milton Line is already has a third track from Erindale to Cooksville, so i wonder how much more third track they need for all day train service from Erindale to Union at least. Erindale and Cooksville are most important train stations on the line (other than Union of course), so if they had all-day service first it would be great, even if it was 45 minute or hourly frequency.

The 3rd track stops west of Mavis Rd. It starts south of the 403.

Dixie will see less walk-in compare to the other 2.

The big issue for the 3rd track is at Cooksville Station as well from Dixie Rd to Cawthra Rd. The 3rd track support is in place at Cawthra Rd.

To put in the 4th track as requested by CP, Lampton Yard to Mavis will be the biggest area to deal with it as well at Mississauga Rd. The rest can support the 4 tracks that CP wants.

Look for hourly service first.

Hopefully they'll continue this for additional Jays games, especially weekend games. I'll be going to the Red Sox game the 1st Saturday of the season, and I'm dreading how full the 11:10 out of Burlington is going to be. An 11:40 train would be very well received I think.

I am going to assume the part you want continued is the Lakeshore additional trains not the fact that Canrob was peeved about (ie. that no one else is getting them ;) ).

I have never understood why the only line that has regular service is always the first (and quite often the only) one to get special service for events.

As for the crowding, as the summer sports season progresses and sports fans from all around the GTA are headed to Jays and TFC matches those of us not served by the Lakeshore line can only apologize for not contributing enough to ease your crowded situation....an apology we will, I am sure, repeat as we sit in traffic (either or in our cars or in the buses we have become so grateful for ) as your crowded train goes by. :)

NOTE: turn on your sarcasm detectors before reading.

Milton Line is already has a third track from Erindale to Cooksville, so i wonder how much more third track they need for all day train service from Erindale to Union at least.

CP has been saying for years that if GO wishes to run all-day service that there needs to be at the very least four tracks along the entirety of the line. Additional (but not all-day) service could be had by linking the three-track sections together.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I have never understood why the only line that has regular service is always the first (and quite often the only) one to get special service for events.
As they had been running service on all lines for some recent events, perhaps they have learned something from the ridership levels on those trains?

Has anyone here used any of those special event trains? How busy have they been?

It's not rocket science.

Regular service = substantial established ridership base = extra demand for special events that overloads existing trains = gets service added.

I am going to assume the part you want continued is the Lakeshore additional trains not the fact that Canrob was peeved about (ie. that no one else is getting them ;) ).

As for the crowding, as the summer sports season progresses and sports fans from all around the GTA are headed to Jays and TFC matches those of us not served by the Lakeshore line can only apologize for not contributing enough to ease your crowded situation....an apology we will, I am sure, repeat as we sit in traffic (either or in our cars or in the buses we have become so grateful for ) as your crowded train goes by. :)

NOTE: turn on your sarcasm detectors before reading.

Haha, sarcasm well noted!

It would be really nice if GO was able to run 'Jays Trains' on all lines, but that's even less likely to happen than just trains on Lakeshore. And yes, Platform 27's answer is pretty accurate.

As a stop-gap measure though, I'd at least like to see dedicated Jays Buses for the other lines.

Back