News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 721     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

Not replaced per se, existing rolling stock will continue to get used for diesel services on the edge of the network. New EMUs will be purchased for the electrified portions of the corridors.
wait how sure are we that we are getting emus? i know the business case had them mentioned, but electric locos work fine too and they are also mentioned in that document?

wait how sure are we that we are getting emus? i know the business case had them mentioned, but electric locos work fine too and they are also mentioned in that document?
This is the only source we really have. It suggests EMUs for regular service and electrical locomotives(I'm assuming using old bi-level coaches) to handle peak demand services on the electrified routes. https://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/p..._BoardMtg_GO_Expansion_Full_Business_Case.PDF page 79

1638468849771.png

This is the only source we really have. It suggests EMUs for regular service and electrical locomotives(I'm assuming using old bi-level coaches) to handle peak demand services on the electrified routes. https://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/p..._BoardMtg_GO_Expansion_Full_Business_Case.PDF page 79

View attachment 366602
ya thats the one im thinking of, ya that would make sense, that they ditch most of the diesel trains and only keep some for kit/rh/milton and lsw. thats only 12 tph total. they are probably buying both

It shouldn't be an either-or conversations as both single level and double decker have the strengths and weaknesses.

They should maintain the double decker for the longer distance and limited stops. The trains coming in from those areas are still primarily going to be commuter trains but simply run more frequently. Most of the users will still be heading downtown and so their large capacity is excellent for such applications. They are slower due to having longer dwell times but they will make far fewer stops so that diminishes that liability.

Conversely, the single level EMUs are ideal for the traditional RER network. This system will be a basic subway-lite one so shorter dwell times and far faster and accessible off/on boarding is ideal.

By using the different trains, it also helps the passengers identify what service they are using. Someone at Oakville may have the choice of using either trains due to being a major station but they will easily identify what service the train coming up will provide by whether it is single or double level. For example, they know that if they take the single level they will be able to get off at their Mimico stop but the double decker won't but yet it is the faster of the 2 if they are going to Union.

They already do this with the buses on the Miss Transitway. The different colours and double decker buses allow the passengers to easily identify the service the incoming bus will provide and whether they will be able to get off at the station they need to or whether it will bypass that station so they should wait until the different Miss {and easily identifiable} bus comes along.

Last edited:
Article doesn't really put up a convincing reason why Guelph-Kitchener can't be electrified.

If the CN owned portion from Georgetown to Bramalea can't be electrified, it doesnt mean that they cant run dual mode locos or even battery backup locos/EMUs through the area.

I think, and I tend to agree a bit, that Metrolinx just wants to focus on electrifying the GTA corridors first, and then move onto the fringes.

Theres a much better ROI to electrify the 905 and provide frequent EMU service than electrifying the line out to Barrie or Kitchener, which only sees hourly service that a diesel train already has no problem doing, so other than the environmental/noise benefits you aren't gaining nearly as much. We simply cant run the GO-RER service we want downtown without electrification, but the service to Kdub and Barrie is possible with the existing fleet.

Article doesn't really put up a convincing reason why Guelph-Kitchener can't be electrified.

If the CN owned portion from Georgetown to Bramalea can't be electrified, it doesnt mean that they cant run dual mode locos or even battery backup locos/EMUs through the area.

I think, and I tend to agree a bit, that Metrolinx just wants to focus on electrifying the GTA corridors first, and then move onto the fringes.

Theres a much better ROI to electrify the 905 and provide frequent EMU service than electrifying the line out to Barrie or Kitchener, which only sees hourly service that a diesel train already has no problem doing, so other than the environmental/noise benefits you aren't gaining nearly as much. We simply cant run the GO-RER service we want downtown without electrification, but the service to Kdub and Barrie is possible with the existing fleet.

Isn't the reason that freight double stacks of containers won't fit under the overhead catenary? CN and CP are unwilling to give up double stacks on their mainlines.

Back