News   Jun 25, 2024
 178     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 438     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 434     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Holy smokes, that warehouse has gone up in like a year. August 2023 streetview looks like this:

1718905283250.png

Holy smokes, that warehouse has gone up in like a year. August 2023 streetview looks like this:

View attachment 574025
Not much is needed to build warehouse as they only need a grade beam around the building with anchor bolt for the steel columns along with footings for the interior columns. Doesn't take long to erect the steelwork for it follow by the roof decking and then the siding. The rest is interior work which is not much, other than the office area.

Another miss opportune to have a rail siding to this build to help to reduce truck traffic and would require CN dropping cars off or picking them up at night after GO close for the day.

Not much is needed to build warehouse as they only need a grade beam around the building with anchor bolt for the steel columns along with footings for the interior columns. Doesn't take long to erect the steelwork for it follow by the roof decking and then the siding. The rest is interior work which is not much, other than the office area.

Another miss opportune to have a rail siding to this build to help to reduce truck traffic and would require CN dropping cars off or picking them up at night after GO close for the day.
Yep, I've done industrial and while it is a much quicker build, 1 year from site prep to enclosed with landscaping is insanely quick, even if it is just OSWJ.

Yep, I've done industrial and while it is a much quicker build, 1 year from site prep to enclosed with landscaping is insanely quick, even if it is just OSWJ.

I think some may benefit from an elaboration on that acronym, allow me.

Open Web Steel Joist

The Wikipedia explainer is good:

A picture from the above:

1718908039358.png

Credit: Wikipedia Contributor: Bbxbigben

The gist is a steel frame building using truss and columns and generally distributing weight from the roof to columns (load bearing)

I think some may benefit from an elaboration on that acronym, allow me.

Open Web Steel Joist

The Wikipedia explainer is good:

A picture from the above:

View attachment 574069
Credit: Wikipedia Contributor: Bbxbigben

The gist is a steel frame building using truss and columns and generally distributing weight from the roof to columns (load bearing)
Isn't acronym a great thing??

I have see buildings that are only columns and joist with a different type of joist replacing the beams. The BA Tower is a supper thin building when it was built that took me by surprised when erection started on it. All the original steel for it that was to be built in the 80's made their way to the scrap yard.

View attachment 574025
I used to drive down Burloak twice a week, and one time I was looking going "what the hell am I looking at here?" well turns out a huge portion of the steel frame had gone up in a matter of days.

Here's the project discussion, I started it with a photo I took (from the passenger seat) while getting off the eastbound QEW at Burloak anfter ONE WEEK of work.
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...1s-carttera-glenn-piotrowski-architect.37459/

Is the return of LSE express trains reliant on packages A through C? I wonder if Metrolinx still communicates they are on track for August reintroduction.

I note that they removed the blog post indicating such (original link)... So perhaps some communication will come soon.

No harm in asking them. Don't put in too much effort, message them on FB

Back