News   Jun 20, 2024
 416     1 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 1.5K     6 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 610     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

June 14

Danforth at Warden

DJI_0006.jpeg

DJI_0010.jpeg

Using the former CP Belleville Sub (aka the Don Branch) assumes that ML would reactivate the old CN Leaside Spur which ran from the Bala Sub at Oriole down to CP at Leaside.

While some might argue that it was "railbanked", I am confident that there would be intense pushback if the idea of restoring a rail line along that corridor were put forward..... partly from residents along the trackage, and even more from people who have come to see that as part of the city's trail network.

I am willing to bet a steak dinner that it will never, ever be repurposed as a transit line. Be sure to call me to collect if it happens, but in the meanwhile - I really think this has become a fantasy idea and is no longer a serious transit option, even if it makes eminent sense..

- Paul
We're talking about a hypothetical future where the existing route "is in serious jeopardy of erosion and being abandoned". Assuming that this is in fact something that could happen and is in the line's future, I imagine the priority of the people in charge would be quite different than present day status quo. This is especially true since the lack of a RH Line, or a RH Line that terminates at RHC means even more people using the Subway, adding to its capacity problems.

This is before we bring up the fact that there are other ways of connecting back to the Bala Sub than just the leaside spur. For instance, it shouldn't be too difficult to just build a curve connecting the two subs directly east of the DVP. It won't be the fastest route but I doubt it will be any slower than the existing Bala Sub route.

This is before we bring up the fact that there are other ways of connecting back to the Bala Sub than just the leaside spur. For instance, it shouldn't be too difficult to just build a curve connecting the two subs directly east of the DVP. It won't be the fastest route but I doubt it will be any slower than the existing Bala Sub route.
And what do you do to deal with the 60+ foot difference in height?

Or with CP's concerns about GO traffic having to cross over their tracks to get from the north side of the corridor to the south?

Dan

And what do you do to deal with the 60+ foot difference in height?

Or with CP's concerns about GO traffic having to cross over their tracks to get from the north side of the corridor to the south?

Dan
Agree east of the DVP is a writeoff, that is too high. But a solution may lie west of the DVP. Would be tight, but may be an option.

Any solution would need to be tied to VIA HFR proposals to justify the cost and disturbance.

Agree with you 100%. There are things we can do to improve the speed on the southern Richmond Hill Corridor, such as banking the curves.

Today, Oriole (roughly Sheppard) to Union is 34 mins on the RH GO Line. It’s about 26 mins from Sheppard-Yonge to Union via TTC Line 1, and 39 minutes from Line 4 Leslie station to Union via Line 1. Obviously speeding up GO service is important, but new stations at transit deserts like York Mills and Leslie could be served with better RH GO service.
The nice thing about the line (in theory) is that if the subway had a delay/suspension/whatever you'd have an alternative. The subway stations don't really have parking either.

Does anyone know more about the Hamilton upgrades?

As part of the Existing Stations Renovations program, a new project will be delivering improvements to GO’s pair of stations in the City of Hamilton, Hamilton GO Centre and West Harbour GO Station. Work planned across these two stations includes parking lot and bus loop improvements, secure and sheltered bicycle parking, digital signage, improved signage and wayfinding, accessibility upgrades and an upgraded station building. The Request for Proposals was released on December 14. Bids are expected this spring, after which construction will begin in summer.

Where can I find the request for proposal documents? I'm really curious what upgrades we should be expecting to the Hunter GO Station this summer. Apparently these are significant upgrades, valued at between 20 and 200 million dollars, so I figured there would be some designs floating around.

KvldZbe.png

PaVQY9M.png
Does anyone have anymore information about this? Apparently construction is starting soon, but there has been zero details released about what the work includes.

Anyone know what's going on Northbound on Mississauga Road / Bovaird in Brampton? Is it rail related or not?
Google is your friend as its is waterline work.

There was a EA done for the road some years ago that calls for a grade separation of the CN line

Back