News   Apr 29, 2024
 375     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.9K     6 

GO has left the train station

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
UT's own Green22 wrote this for Now Magazine...

GO has left the train station
Province abandons pedestrian-friendly stations to build jumbo parking lots for car-happy commuters
Roger Brook

news_story5+1.jpg

GO boarded up Barrie’s centrally located Allandale Station to build a replacement 5 kilometres away that you can only get to by car.

The latest fad in north american public transit planning is embracing the car.

You can spot the symptoms wherever governments shovel cash into flashy regional transit projects surrounded by free parking – leaving the less glamorous local routes that serve the (less well-off) majority of riders reeling from cuts. Sound familiar?

Driving the trend locally is GO Transit. Eighty-six per cent of its rail passengers arrive at stations by car. And future plans have written off non-motorists altogether.

The 10-year growth strategy calls for 20,000 new peak rides and 10,000 new parking spots.

The kicker: because GTA municipalities are mandated to cover a third of GO’s expansion costs, Toronto is forced to fork over cash for sprawl-inducing frills like free GO parking instead of addressing basic TTC needs like more buses and drivers.

The frills don’t come cheap. At the November Greater Toronto Transportation Authority (now Metrolinx) meeting, GO announced plans to spend $323 million to add up to 12,250 new parking spaces by constructing multi-storey garages at existing stations, expanding bus commuter lots and adding two new drive-in stations.

GO says parking garages will free up land for offices at suburban stations. But rather than wait decades for GO to create what I’m sure would be lovely corporate centres, why not serve existing centres?

GO’s auto-focus should come as no surprise, considering that its strategy and policies are set by the Ministry of Transportation, the folks who build Ontario’s highways.

Michael Wolczyk, GO’s manager of marketing and planning, views highways and public transit as “complementary.” He sees GO filling in wherever highways can’t handle the load, as in downtown Toronto. By serving drivers on part of their trip, public transit keeps the highways flowing.

The one area where GO makes a genuine effort to serve non-motorists has always been its bus fleet. Unfortunately, that’s about to change.

GO’s bus rapid transit project proposes to add bus lanes along GTA highways, with most stations predictably located at highway park-and-rides. The estimated costs of initial phases, beginning with the 403 and 407, are more than $1.6 billion. Yes, GO is betting that folks will drive to the bus just as they now drive to the train.

This concept worries public transit advocate Steve Munro, who wonders how those without cars will access isolated stations along roaring highways.

“The single biggest problem with both politicians and professional planners is that they think in road/auto terms even when talking about public transit.”

GO’s return to Barrie on December 17 illustrates the consequences of designing around automobiles.

Taking its cue from the box stores, GO abandoned the centrally located Allandale Station, to which access by foot and public transit is practical, and relocated to empty fields 5 kilometres south of downtown, where there was plenty of cheap land for parking.

Why the province won’t permit even a secondary station downtown is puzzling – the city spent years planning a revitalized downtown waterfront, with Allandale Station as a focal point. Barrie even purchased the rail right-of-way and station, which was erected in 1853 and rebuilt in 1905.

Wolczyk counters that “the [old] station was in the wrong place for the market.”

Yes, stations like South Barrie’s, with its 480-space commuter lot, will encourage development, but it tends to be gas stations, car lots, drive-through restaurants and low-density subdivisions.

To serve communities without paving them over for parking lots, GO will need to confront its auto habit, moving beyond cynical gestures like green paint and sponsoring Car-Free Day.

But GO’s embrace of the auto may be tough to shake, considering how nicely current provincial public transit policy lines up with key political objectives – like pleasing Ontario’s automotive industry, suburban developers who fund campaigns and well-off commuters in T.O.’s vote-rich suburbs.

By repositioning public transit to serve drivers, the province is able to satisfy supporters and gain enviro cred, all while building parking lots and widening highways.

When it comes to GO, it’s not easy being green.

news@nowtoronto.com

============

GO takes T.O. cash but refuses to make stops within city limits. Three sites that could help take the heat off the TTC are (1) the old Parkdale station (just steps now); (2) the historic Sutton station (which could be moved a few hundred metres from its site at Todmorden Mills to serve the Brick Works); and (3) the Summerhill station. (It wasn’t always a liquor store.)

news_story5+2.jpg

news_story5+3.jpg

North Toronto Station is comming and was identified in MoveOntario 2020.

A stop at Todmorden Mills wouldn't really serve anyone, as it is difficult to access and not within walking distance of any destination that isn't already effectively served by cheaper and more frequent TTC service.

A station at Parkdale might serve some, but the nearby stop at Bloor Station connects to the subway. Adding a Milton line stop at Bloor would be much more effective.

Barrie Allandale is coming. I have a feeling that they wanted to build a station quickly to get the Barrie service running as soon as possible. Restoring Allandale would require much more work.

I think that GO is responding to the realities of the suburbs. Transit connections to GO stations and land use around GO stations are pitiful at best. Rather than blast GO for building parking lots, we should blast the local government for not encouraging redevelopment that promotes transit use and walkability.

A station at Parkdale might serve some, but the nearby stop at Bloor Station connects to the subway. Adding a Milton line stop at Bloor would be much more effective.

Parkdale makes a load of sense for GO to move to a regional rail service from a suburb-to-downtown parking lot shuttle. This is something that many in the transit advocacy community are pushing, and I hope the GTTA listens. (hint, hint!)

Brampton/Airport service could easily be a regional rail service, with trains coming every 20-30 minutes all day, 7 days a week. This means thinking outside GO's parking lot and 12-car behemoth mentality.

I agree Todmorden makes no sense, however. Richmond Hill isn't all that useful as a regional rail corridor like Lakeshore, Georgetown, Milton and Stouffville are (in that order), due to its route and relative isolation.

GO is a transit agency, not a policy maker. It's role is to provide a transit system that is attractive to its patrons, and maximizes the number of people who can use it. In GO's case, that means providing an endless supply of free parking. That's how the suburbs work. Realize that even if GO had located its Barrie station downtown, the other 98% of people who are still not within walking distance would continue to drive to the train.

Realistically, the only people who would ever be able to walk to the GO train are those who would move in new condos and offices that are built surrounding existing stations. Most of the suburbs are so poorly laid out that traditional surface transit can never work. It's better to recognize that fact than ignore it, and end up with a commuter rail system that no one can get to.

With respect to GO's role within Toronto, I would agree that more stations should be built within Toronto's borders and better transferring to and from GO stations be provided. I would love it if TTC bus routes started to treat GO stations as transit hubs in the same way that they treat subway stations. If GO provides free parking to drivers, I think that they should also provide free transferring to connecting transit users for a fraction of the cost.

Barrie Allandale is coming. I have a feeling that they wanted to build a station quickly to get the Barrie service running as soon as possible. Restoring Allandale would require much more work.

A railway station downtown doesn't coexist well with the cities intention to use the old railway land for other purposes. The City of Barrie, as represented by their current mayor and councillors (councillors are lifers) are strongly against using the railway lands for trains.

Expect the old track areas to be used for parkland and the like.

I posted the city's plans elsewhere on the forum, and they're planning to restore the Allandale station. They're planning a surprisingly attractive development including office and residential buildings, a restored historic station, and a public square.

I agree that GO shouldn't only build parking lot stations, and clearly Barrie should have a downtown stop as well as one out in a sea of parking, but the reality is that the vast majority of people in the suburbs will drive to the train. Taking the bus could lengthen their commutes by 50% or more, and that's probably going to continue to be the case for most suburban residents for the forseeable future.

All GO does is create more car traffic, and make people even more dependent on their cars. I'm still waiting for 407 bus service to extended the short distance to Meadowvale Town Centre and Bramalea City Centre.

All GO does is create more car traffic, and make people even more dependent on their cars. I'm still waiting for 407 bus service to extended the short distance to Meadowvale Town Centre and Bramalea City Centre.

At the very least, GO is eliminating hundreds of thousands of partial car trips. In my opinion, eliminating partial car trips is much better than eliminating no trips at all.

Both those extensions could improve access to transit, and I'm sure that 407 service (which serves Yorkdale / York Mills on weekends) would be an excellent supplement to Brampton local run.

How about providing Brampton/Bramalea with better than every 3-hour overcrowded buses to Union Station first? Right now, they are dumped after a 45-70 minute bus ride via "local" at Yorkdale or York Mills and then pay another $2.25-2.75 to get downtown, where most are headed.

I want to see a phase-in of parking charges at GO Stations. Most large US commuter rail systems, like LIRR, NJ Transit, Metra and Caltrain, do not offer free parking in seas of asphalt. The "free" parking penalizes those who take transit, walk, bike or get rides to stations, as the ticket price includes the cost of building, maintaining and clearing the massive parking lots. Lower the GO fares to make it revenue neutral, and reward carpoolers, transit riders, etc. I have not seen such huge parking lots for most commuter rail systems.

How about providing Brampton/Bramalea with better than every 3-hour overcrowded buses to Union Station first? Right now, they are dumped after a 45-70 minute bus ride via "local" at Yorkdale or York Mills and then pay another $2.25-2.75 to get downtown, where most are headed.

Of course! That goes without saying :)

the second Go charges for Parking, all of its plans should be thrown out as ridership would decline....

You can spot the symptoms wherever governments shovel cash into flashy regional transit projects surrounded by free parking – leaving the less glamorous local routes that serve the (less well-off) majority of riders reeling from cuts.
Oh come on. This article is implying that the majority of folks in Barrie who would use Go Transit don't have cars. IMO that's rubbish. Anyone living in a rural city like Barrie who has any need to regularly go to Toronto on GO has a car.

I wouldn't expect that most people in Barrie wouldn't have cars. It would be nice, though, to keep more of those cars in driveways and garages, because in the long run, a transit system loses a lot of its point if you have to drive a car to get to it - hence my skeptism regarding the Mississauga Transitway.

GO Transit really should have both stations - a semi-urban station at Allandale (reusing the beautiful station there) with good transit and walking/biking connections, and the suburban park-and-ride at Mapleview for those who either find transit isn't feasible and those who won't give it up. But right now, we only get the car-centric station, which many GO stations are.

---

There's enough greenwash from the MTO, including GO Transit. Like the "green" licence plates (given to hybrid cars to allow use of lanes otherwise meant for carpoolers), or the HOV lane policy, which will provide a very piece-meal HOV system because they are all highway widening projects - the most useful HOV lanes on the 400-series, the 401, will not be considered beacuse giving up a lane for higher capacity vehicles is anathema in these parts.

response GO

Thanks for posting article, generating discussion

"Barrie Allandale is coming. I have a feeling that they wanted to build a station quickly to get the Barrie service running as soon as possible."

According to the service planner- "As you mention it, GO did serve Barrie in the 90’s. We learned from that. The station was in the wrong place for the market. We needed a new station in the south end with parking".
The initial 480 spots and 5 lane kiss and ride is just the beginning, GO bought a huge amount of land to expand the free parking area as demand increases, just as it is now doing each year at it's relocated Unionville station.

Amy Tang, speaking for the Ontario growth secretariat said the new station was built to get cars off the road because the highways are being taxed to capacity. Barrie is going to experience a lot of growth.

Barrie's plans for the Allandale station did not involve paving the area for GO parking and so GO headed south.
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...ntown+next+wave+plan&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=ca

"A stop at Todmorden Mills wouldn't really serve anyone"
Good point. For the record journalists/free lancers or even letters to the editor are generally writen by the author while titles or picture captions are often the responsibility of others. It would be pretty tough to justify a brickworks station beyond some kind of limited service aimed at 905 tourists plus they're planning to build a big parking lot there.

The case for justifying stations in Toronto is complicated and would require a major shift in direction for GO & the MTO involving things like shifting resources from free parking to frequent transit links, lower off-peak weekday fares like in NYC, also weekends are $3 NYC and most importantly frequent 2-way service. Driving to Barrie would also be less attractive if drivers paid the costs of their driving and parking. The shift of GO from the Province (MTO) to Metrolinx could make a difference if the new chair (highway tolls) is allowed to implement these tools like Vancouver (parking) without interference from the Province.

"I think that GO is responding to the realities of the suburbs."
I agree that local governments bare a lot of the blame however unlike municpal regional transit schemes Viva, Accleride, the Hurontario lrt, Transit City and Durham's highway 2, Government of Ontario's transit (GO) proposals take transit away from communities and substitute walking and transit acess for car access. Unlike municipal proposals which talk about supporting smart growth GO talks about helping highways, peak congestion relief, commuters.

Rather than just respond to sprawl, ideally GO whose board is appointed by the Province should be supporting the Province's stated land use goals. The companion article in Now magazine makes a case that the Province is supporing sprawl as usual. http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=161210

Back