News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 899     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

GO has left the train station

Doady, I assume you're trying to say that everybody on GO is white. Have you ridden the trains? Every time I've been on them, they're a multicultural mosaic. Maybe not the Bradford line.

GO wants to be a "premium" service like country club.

lol, the thing is becoming more like the Ryerson and UFT express every year rather then a upper class white mans country club... :D

Doady, I assume you're trying to say that everybody on GO is white. Have you ridden the trains? Every time I've been on them, they're a multicultural mosaic. Maybe not the Bradford line.

LOL, maybe not. I know GO is not all white, I was just joking. I am saying if they ignore local transit riders they are ignoring a very specific part of the population, and shouldn't transit be social service? If GO wants to be like a private business, then they should become a private business for real and stop pretending to be a public service.

LOL, maybe not. I know GO is not all white, I was just joking. I am saying if they ignore local transit riders they are ignoring a very specific part of the population, and shouldn't transit be social service? If GO wants to be like a private business, then they should become a private business for real and stop pretending to be a public service.

Transit is not a social service.
Gordon Chong, former Chair of GO Transit

In the short term, it'd be difficult to wean parking lots from GO stations, but isn't it time for the province/Metrolinx to get involved explicitly in the planning process and set goals for intensification for various stations along the lines? It's a complete waste to have all these transit projects but not the land use planning around the stations to match.

Another is to look closely at how local transit fits into the GO system.

re: GO is not a social service

Yeah, they can make that claim the moment they are profitable after taking into account the substantial capital/operating investments made by the public sector.

AoD

I'd like to see a mix-and-match policy, promoting intensification around stations like Port Credit, Oakville, Cooksville, or Milliken and massive unlimited seas of parking around stations such as Clarkson, Appleby, Dixie, or Bramalea.

I'd like to see a mix-and-match policy, promoting intensification around stations like Port Credit, Oakville, Cooksville, or Milliken and massive unlimited seas of parking around stations such as Clarkson, Appleby, Dixie, or Bramalea.

I think Clarkson should be intensified, not become a massive parking lot.

It already is a massive parking lot. But still, I'd consider it a trade-off for Port Credit and Oakville. Another option would be a new station at Ford Drive.

There are a few places where the GO station is literally adjacent to another transit station, but the two are not interconnected (or even fenced off). That seems like a pretty obvious, low-cost problem to be fixed.

I know of Leslie subway & Oriole GO; and Richmond Hill Centre VIVA & Langstaff GO. Not sure what Glenn Kitchen is proposing below (NOW), though?

GO no go

RE GO has left the station (now, January 3-9). GO Transit has it very easy being green; everything they own is green. Being customer-friendly – that’s another story.

GO and the TTC have a pact not to compete for riders, and that agreement seems in force everywhere that GO serves.

During a recent renovation of the Guildwood GO/VIA station, I approached the provincial government about connecting to the TTC.

A set of stairs and a terminal would not be that expensive if included in the renovation. But no go.

GO Transit looks at people as an inconvenience. The true business of GO Transit is adding value to land.

City-centre-to-city-centre transit will not happen under this regime. NAFTA has a card to play in this hand.

Glenn Kitchen
Green candidate
Scarborough-Guildwood

Richmond Hill Centre VIVA and Langstaff GO are now joined by an impressively over-engineered bridge, but there's still plenty more to go.

Dundas West and Bloor GO "Station" (really just a crumbling strip of asphalt beside the tracks) seem on a map like they are designed to connect but in practise it's a very long walk around to go between them. I imagine people who come from the Georgetown line and work along Bloor downtown probably ride to Union and then back up instead of switching here because it is so inconvenient.

Bloor GO station itself is so under the radar I bet a lot of local residents don't even know it's there. Th TTC probably wants it that way.

Dundas West and Bloor GO "Station" (really just a crumbling strip of asphalt beside the tracks) seem on a map like they are designed to connect but in practise it's a very long walk around to go between them. I imagine people who come from the Georgetown line and work along Bloor downtown probably ride to Union and then back up instead of switching here because it is so inconvenient.

Bloor GO station itself is so under the radar I bet a lot of local residents don't even know it's there. Th TTC probably wants it that way.

From my daily experiences I have to disagree. It is a bit of a walk, but not long enough to truly dissuade people from using it. It is pretty well used, and a close personal friend finds it as great option for her commute. She tried to go to Union once, but swore never again when she tried to double back.

Plus Dundas West station is laid out so that the east end of the platform is under the GO station. If there was a 9-car train full of suburbanites stopping at Bloor every 5 minutes during the rush, I'm sure plans for a direct connection would be revived pretty quickly.

Back