News   May 03, 2024
 666     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 430     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 225     0 

Globe: What's wrong with Toronto? Nothing a good mayor couldn't fix

She makes a good point about the ineffectiveness of our council, particularly as it relates to the "Cultural Renaissance." The City has done absolutely nothing to spur the redevelopment of our cultural institutions, and her point about the rent for the Crystal overhang is very well taken.
Most of her article is shite, but this point should not be overlooked.

Huh, Toronto and Chicago were once neck and neck?

Although the vast majority of the article is nonsense, as a lot of us have been saying for years on UT now, Toronto's streets need some major beautification. Having spent the last few days in charming Boston, and having just arrived in grand NYC, Toronto's deficiencies really become obvious.

Didn't think this was deserving of its own thread, so this seemed to be a good fit. If it was from the Sun it would have fit in nicely with the Letters thread, but alas it was the Star printing this claptrap. Count the factual and logical errors!

------------------

Comparing the gaze of two cities
May 30, 2007 04:30 AM
Kathleen O'Hara

I've decided that you can compare the psyche of cities by where their buildings face. Take Toronto and Vancouver.

The former has lined its newest condos along the shore of Lake Ontario. Some might argue that these buildings are positioned to appreciate the water view, but I would suggest otherwise. With travesties such as the Gardiner Expressway and Lake Shore Blvd., the city's lack of appreciation for its waterfront is evident. The obvious conclusion is that these latest developments and the humanity they house are actually facing south beyond the lake to Toronto's idol – New York. They reflect the population's Chekhovian desire to be elsewhere.

Vancouver, on the other hand, features West and North Van looking across English Bay to Point Grey and Kitsilano, which return their gaze. At the same time, the new, sometimes leaky, condos on either side of False Creek stare boldly at each other, some with their backs to the mountains. For me, this almost claustrophobic layout reflects a self-centred, insular city. And Vancouver is just that.

The two cities' major transportation issues support my analysis. Torontonians' transportation debates demonstrate their desire to get out of town. There are those so eager to leave that they want to take off internationally from the Island airport. Others have been lobbying for a "dedicated" rail link from Union Station to Pearson International.

Conversely, Vancouver seems constantly to be in a stew about how to improve its internal transit lines, including the SkyTrain and BC Ferries to the Gulf Islands and Sunshine Coast. The Canada Line, now under construction, will bring people from surrounding communities to Vancouver. It will also connect with the airport, but that is not its sole focus. Staying in touch locally is valued.

Yes, Vancouver is happier with itself. Some would say a little too happy, too unaware of the world. I rarely hear people comparing it to Seattle or San Francisco – favourably or otherwise.

In contrast, Toronto is constantly yammering on about New York (or Chicago) – the architecture, the culture, the people. Making it there. A friend told me he refers to this constant flow of Big Apple news and concerns as "The Latest." Where would world-class Toronto be without it?

This same friend, who grew up in Vancouver and recently returned there from Ontario, told me that his birthplace hasn't always been so self-sufficient. When he was young, he and his friends were constantly piling into the car to shop and play in Bellingham, Wash., just across the border. However, the thrill and need to look or go south has gone. Vancouver has it all.

I guess that's why my own daughter has joined the ranks of those who have moved west. For her, it was the variety of things to do. In Toronto, she and her friends always seemed to be going out for dinner – mundane and expensive. In Vancouver, they are more inclined to go for walks or bike rides – fun and free.

Perhaps my favourite comment about the differences between the two cities comes from another friend who knows both and now lives in Vancouver. He claims that people there can identify themselves as "marijuana activists" and still be taken seriously, even in the financial heart of the city. In Toronto, however, the word "flaky" would immediately be applied. I haven't had the nerve to head to Bay Street to test his theory.

Kathleen O'Hara is a writer and journalist currently living in Vancouver.

Wow...what a load of trash.

cdl:

I think Archivist would have something to say about this Vancouver psyche.

re: Toronto and Chicago being neck in neck

I don't think Toronto was ever as close to Chicago in terms of importance on the world stage as it is now. Besides that, I found it awfully biased to compare two cities on the basis on what some of their streets (and by no means representative as the city as a whole) looked like, when it should be the broader socioeconomic and cultural indicators one should be focusing on.

AoD

What's wrong...

Wente rarely says anything of real value but I have to agree that our current municipal government has done very little for the public image of Toronto. This city has come into its own in so many respects but lacks municipal politicians that either understand that or have any real vision for the city. No one seems capable to making bold moves that would help give the city an image to project on the world stage. I cringe every time I see tourist buses going up Yonge St. downtown.

OMG, that article above is perhaps one of the biggest pieces of garbage and stereotypes I have ever encountered! So, like, if you walk into a law firm in Vancouver and self-identify as a marijuana activist, you're hailed as a hero??
So, Vancouverites hate to leave Vancouver? And Vancouverites don't go out to dinner, but instead hike and commune with nature? Wow.

OMG, that article above is perhaps one of the biggest pieces of garbage and stereotypes I have ever encountered! So, like, if you walk into a law firm in Vancouver and self-identify as a marijuana activist, you're hailed as a hero??
So, Vancouverites hate to leave Vancouver? And Vancouverites don't go out to dinner, but instead hike and commune with nature? Wow.

The bit about Marijuana activism isn't completely off... It is true that, from what I can see, everyone there talks about it and smokes it. I was surprised just how true this stereotype was. I mean, it really is everywhere.

I don't see how this is some great positive. It's a recreational drug, not a path towards Nirvana.

Vancouverites, I would also say, ARE more happy with themselves. The fact that they have so few truly urban streets of note doesn't phase them. The fact that the city shuts down at 11 PM similarly doesn't seem to bother them.

We are more critical of our city's shortcomings. Whether that is a positive or a negative, I don't know. I'm guessing it's a bit of both.

I've been to Vancouver at least 30 times for business and pleasure and while I certainly recall smelling weed, it wasn't like a North American version of Amsterdam. I didn't find the people, all in all, any more "laid back" than in other cities. There is certainly a large component of outdoors-ey, Wreck Beach loving types, but peel that group away and the population as a whole is not that that different from other cities.

I guess that's why my own daughter has joined the ranks of those who have moved west. For her, it was the variety of things to do. In Toronto, she and her friends always seemed to be going out for dinner – mundane and expensive. In Vancouver, they are more inclined to go for walks or bike rides – fun and free.

Kathleen O'Hara is a writer and journalist currently living in Vancouver.

This one kind of reminded me of a miketoronto post.

Dinner being a "mundane" activity? Yeah, I guess that whole sharing of food and enjoying of each other's company is so lame compared to hiking.

They paid her for that too! Wow. Just trying to stir up some Letters To The Editor no doubt.

Perhaps in Toronto there's a rush for newspapers to compete against each other, akin to the Hearst-Pullitzer rivalry, in terms of venomous op-eds and equally harsh letters to the editor back.

Why else would the Star carry Rosie DiManno or Royson James?

Well I think Chicago benefits from a mayor who has greater authority to effect change. Afterall Daley is the guy who practically unilaterally called for the destruction of Chicago's lakefront airport. Apparently it was quite literally shutdown overnight without approval from the airport authority. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_M._Daley While this particular incident didn't sound altogether legal, it does nevertheless reflect a Mayor's office that has significant clout to make a difference in a short period of time. I really don't get that sense from Toronto's city hall.

That O'hara article re Vancouver doesn't seem to have much of a point.

Back