620     0 

Globe: What's wrong with Toronto? Nothing a good mayor couldn't fix

nstuch

Member Bio
Reaction score
What's wrong with Toronto? Nothing a good mayor couldn't fix

By MARGARET WENTE

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 – Page A17

If you haven't visited Chicago lately, I highly recommend it. The city is bursting with energy and drive. The public spaces gleam. The downtown is a feast of wonderful architecture from every decade. The shops and restaurants are thronged with happy tourists. Of the waterfront I will say nothing, because the comparison with Toronto, where I live, is too depressing.

In Chicago, even the infrastructure is inventive. The on-ramps and overpasses are being rebuilt with cheery red iron railings done in playful geometric patterns. "Who decided to do that?" I asked my taxi driver. "Mayor Daley!" he said proudly.

Once upon a time, Chicago and Toronto were neck and neck in the great-city stakes. That was a long time ago. Today, Chicago is to Toronto what Toronto is to Winnipeg - nice place, but not in the same league. Instead of the can-do, will-do Richard Daley, Toronto has Mayor David Miller, who has nice hair.

In Chicago, public art is mandated for all new construction. The mayor is a big fan of architecture, and the new Millennium Park is a bold, creative - and city-led - triumph. You want green? He put a green roof on city hall and gave developers incentives to do the same. He thought the city airport was a blot on the waterfront, so he had it bulldozed before anyone could stop him.

Toronto's government is an obstacle to change. The long-overdue revival of the city's cultural institutions - the museum, the art gallery, the opera house - is being driven entirely by cultural entrepreneurs and paid for largely by private money. The city should be begging to get on board. Instead, it treats these projects with indifference, even contempt. Our city councillors are way more interested in dreaming up complicated new schemes for collecting garbage. They seem to have no clue about the way these institutions shape the image of a city.

The Royal Ontario Museum's remarkable crystal, which opens this weekend, will create a dazzling new landmark. It will also reorient the museum toward Bloor Street, the city's main commercial cross street, and create a stunning public space. Instead of celebrating this gift, city councillors opted to charge "rent" because the crystal overhangs the sidewalk.

Nor did they grasp the potential of Luminato, the 10-day arts festival that also kicks off this weekend. This imaginative partnership between arts leaders and the private sector will be a huge celebration, with the city as its stage. It will team up Leonard Cohen and Philip Glass, Eric Idle and the Toronto Symphony, offering more than 100 free events. The city had no interest. Maybe it was too busy conducting another survey of homeless people.

City councillors are so worried about homeless people that they've voted to buy a downtown nightclub and convert it into a homeless shelter. The tab will be around $355 a square foot, a sum that leads one to ask: Why not just buy condos for the homeless people instead? Dopy schemes like these help explain why Toronto is rapidly going broke.

Oh, sure, I know the city got a raw deal from the province and the feds. But other cities have figured out how to deliver services far more efficiently than Toronto. Other cities have imposed unpopular user fees (road tolls, anyone?) Not Toronto. Politicians would rather drain reserve funds to cover the budget shortfall and rattle their tin cups as they indignantly insist that someone else should bail them out.

Meantime, tourism in the city is hitting new lows. The high dollar and border hassles don't help. But there is a malaise at City Hall that's deeply harmful. Nobody in local politics has the leadership and vision to articulate what Toronto could become, or why anyone would want to come here. Great cities need great mayors, and Toronto hasn't had one since the 1970s. Great hair, alas, is not enough.

Why do Chicagoans love Mayor Daley? Because he knows that obsessing about trash is not enough to make a city great. He understands that cities need to compete. Torontonian could, of course, choose not to compete. The price will be that the next generation will choose to move somewhere else.

I 100% agree with the article! City Hall house bunch of useless, incompetent councillors.

Erm...I guess finding out that Toronto, also, requires public art from all major condo projects would require some degree of research on Wente's part.

You'd think Daley and Miller have been in office for the same amount of time...you'd never know reading the article that Daley has been mayor since 1989 and has had a lot more time to implement the policies she's so fond of.

I'd like to see Wente do better. How about next time the election comes along run for Mayor and impress us with all your greatness.

She says that Toronto could have closed its waterfront airport, or implement road tolling. I thought she was against those two things? But since when did Chicago have road tolls? The only tolls in the area are the state tollways and the Chicago Skyway.

Again, typical Wente bullshit. I could pick apart every point she makes, but it's not worth my time.

I've often wondered how much (or if) different the city (especially city hall) would be had John Tory won the mayor race back in 2003.

^ Hard to say what Tory would have done, given that his friends aren't in power at Queen's Park. But this is also part of Miller's problem, aknowledged indirectly by him when he decided recently to let his NDP membership lapse.

Agreed that several of Wente's statements are simplistic or just wrong. However, Miller can't really point to any outstanding achievements, more than three years in. He raised huge expectations regarding the waterfront, which have not really ben delivered on, and it's difficult to point to major achievements elsewhere. In transit, for instance, the big "achievement" is a billion-$ subway line up to a field in Vaughan.:(

Downtown development has been good, but I doubt that he can honestly take much credit for that; it would have happened anyway.

Hi, Venti de Milo

You wrote:

I 100% agree with the article! City Hall house bunch of useless, incompetent councillors.

You have me very curious. I don't know how many councillors Toronto has but I suspect it quite a number. Is there any one who you think is remotely decent?

Speaking for my own Council, we're blessed with about four out of eleven. Perhaps five. (Hoping, for five)

Signed,
The Mississauga Muse

I think Miller let his NDP membership lapse because he realized how few NDP voters he could automatically count on to support him in the next election, having moved into the mushy middle of politics. Certainly, his support in the downtown core sagged in the last election.

"Why do Chicagoans love Mayor Daley? Because he knows that obsessing about trash is not enough to make a city great."

Where does Chicago's trash go? Do they divert much from landfills? Whatever the case, there's not a spot of litter on the ground anywhere downtown...it was disturbingly clean. Chicago does all of the little things to make the city "look" great, but it doesn't take much to find flaws in the veneer.

Didn't think this was deserving of its own thread, so this seemed to be a good fit. If it was from the Sun it would have fit in nicely with the Letters thread, but alas it was the Star printing this claptrap. Count the factual and logical errors!

------------------

Comparing the gaze of two cities
May 30, 2007 04:30 AM
Kathleen O'Hara

I've decided that you can compare the psyche of cities by where their buildings face. Take Toronto and Vancouver.

The former has lined its newest condos along the shore of Lake Ontario. Some might argue that these buildings are positioned to appreciate the water view, but I would suggest otherwise. With travesties such as the Gardiner Expressway and Lake Shore Blvd., the city's lack of appreciation for its waterfront is evident. The obvious conclusion is that these latest developments and the humanity they house are actually facing south beyond the lake to Toronto's idol – New York. They reflect the population's Chekhovian desire to be elsewhere.

Vancouver, on the other hand, features West and North Van looking across English Bay to Point Grey and Kitsilano, which return their gaze. At the same time, the new, sometimes leaky, condos on either side of False Creek stare boldly at each other, some with their backs to the mountains. For me, this almost claustrophobic layout reflects a self-centred, insular city. And Vancouver is just that.

The two cities' major transportation issues support my analysis. Torontonians' transportation debates demonstrate their desire to get out of town. There are those so eager to leave that they want to take off internationally from the Island airport. Others have been lobbying for a "dedicated" rail link from Union Station to Pearson International.

Conversely, Vancouver seems constantly to be in a stew about how to improve its internal transit lines, including the SkyTrain and BC Ferries to the Gulf Islands and Sunshine Coast. The Canada Line, now under construction, will bring people from surrounding communities to Vancouver. It will also connect with the airport, but that is not its sole focus. Staying in touch locally is valued.

Yes, Vancouver is happier with itself. Some would say a little too happy, too unaware of the world. I rarely hear people comparing it to Seattle or San Francisco – favourably or otherwise.

In contrast, Toronto is constantly yammering on about New York (or Chicago) – the architecture, the culture, the people. Making it there. A friend told me he refers to this constant flow of Big Apple news and concerns as "The Latest." Where would world-class Toronto be without it?

This same friend, who grew up in Vancouver and recently returned there from Ontario, told me that his birthplace hasn't always been so self-sufficient. When he was young, he and his friends were constantly piling into the car to shop and play in Bellingham, Wash., just across the border. However, the thrill and need to look or go south has gone. Vancouver has it all.

I guess that's why my own daughter has joined the ranks of those who have moved west. For her, it was the variety of things to do. In Toronto, she and her friends always seemed to be going out for dinner – mundane and expensive. In Vancouver, they are more inclined to go for walks or bike rides – fun and free.

Perhaps my favourite comment about the differences between the two cities comes from another friend who knows both and now lives in Vancouver. He claims that people there can identify themselves as "marijuana activists" and still be taken seriously, even in the financial heart of the city. In Toronto, however, the word "flaky" would immediately be applied. I haven't had the nerve to head to Bay Street to test his theory.

Kathleen O'Hara is a writer and journalist currently living in Vancouver.

Back