News   Jul 30, 2024
 849     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 495     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 612     1 

Globe & Mail: Montreal a backwater burg?

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
Montreal a backwater burg? The politicians don't seem to mind

KONRAD YAKABUSKI
May 3, 2007 at 6:03 AM EDT

MONTREAL — Jean Drapeau left Montreal in debt and permanently traumatized by his legacy of white elephants, hideous urban planning and one-man government. But he sure as heck put his city on the map.

That was painfully clear last week as nostalgic Montrealers lived it up like it was 1967 all over again. Only it's not. And 40 years after the magic of Expo 67 made Montreal a global hot spot, a prototype for the 21st-century city, the Quebec metropolis is mired in a crisis of confidence.

Montreal is the slowest-growing major city in Canada. It's at the bottom of the heap in per capita income among the continent's most populous agglomerations. Its infrastructure is literally crumbling and its cultural institutions, through no fault of their own, have become unremarkable and second-rate compared with Toronto's better-financed museums, theatres and concert halls.

When Simon Anholt, a British expert in location branding, arrived in Montreal last year, he thought he'd landed in Kazakhstan. A few months ago, the head of the city's tourism promotion agency said Montreal was dirty and ugly and an increasingly tough sell. Forget Expo-sized aspirations. These days, Montrealers just dream of being able to drive to work without wrecking their alignment or taking the bus without getting whiplash, so wide, deep and prolific are the city's potholes.

Oh, sure, Montreal is still edgy and artsy. Its dynamic street life is still unrivalled in Canada, possibly on the planet. But a city cannot live on Arcade Fire alone. Montreal needs some economic heat, too. Without it, decline is inevitable.

How does Montreal avoid becoming Pittsburgh - with better restaurants?

Mayor Gérald Tremblay has a blueprint. He calls it Montréal 2025, that being the target date for making the city one of the continent's most prosperous. The plan has three major focuses: on fostering a knowledge-based economy, transforming a seedy part of downtown into a hub for the arts, and redeveloping a vast swath of the city's waterfront. There's also a $10-billion plan to replace the city's leaky, century-old pipes and $3.4-billion to patch the roads.

It's an apple-pie vision. But then again, Mr. Tremblay is an apple-pie kind of guy. He's so conscientious, his idea of a business lunch is not the table d'hôte at Toqué, but Wendy's Chili, which he expensed 17 times last year. One working dinner for the Mayor and three advisers cost taxpayers an outrageous $21.53. You get the picture.

But Montreal's problems are so much bigger than its mayor. It's got terrible demographics, with the oldest population and fewest university grads on the continent. It's hopelessly overgoverned, with a city hall and 64 councillors, 19 boroughs with separate councils, and an agglomeration council. It's broke, with a finite revenue base that puts all of the tax burden on property owners. And, worst of all, it gets no respect from the provincial government, its ultimate master.

In February, Mr. Tremblay pleaded for more fiscal flexibility, explaining that without the ability to diversify (and no doubt increase) its tax base, Montreal faced a budget deficit of almost $300-million next year and $700-million by 2013. Why for, instance, does Montreal have to pay to clean up the mess from the Jazz Fest, when Quebec (and Ottawa) reap all the sales taxes on the souvenir mugs and T-shirts?

Mr. Tremblay hoped to get an answer from Jean Charest when the Premier gave a campaign speech before the Board of Trade in March.

Nada. The mayor was downtrodden. But he shouldn't have been surprised. Mr. Charest, who admittedly is not exactly flush, has governed since 2003 as if Montreal was a distraction, rather than the economic engine of the province. Two long-promised mega-hospitals - a key component of the knowledge-based economy Mr. Tremblay dreams of - are only marginally closer to realization now than they were when Mr. Charest first took office.

Then again, when Mr. Charest has paid attention to Montreal - for instance, by undoing a 2001 amalgamation and allowing 14 boroughs to "separate" from Montreal in 2005 - it's hardly been to the mayor's advantage.

Montreal's electoral map has for so long been etched in stone - the city's west-end ridings vote Liberal, the east end for the Parti Québécois - that politicians have nothing to lose by snubbing the city's mayor. Quebec's hard-up regions (that is, everything outside Montreal) are a fixation for the provincial government. Reduced to a minority and essentially shut out of rural Quebec in the March election, Mr. Charest's Liberals are hardly going to change that now.

The next provincial election will not be won or lost on the Island of Montreal. But Montreal will undoubtedly be the loser.

kyakabuski@globeandmail.com

COMMENTS can be viewed here.

It is not that bad. The article, like many newspaper articles, tends to hyperbolize and simplify the issues. Montreal has problems, there is no doubt about that. But so does every city. Montreal has not followed the same history as most Canadian cities and this naturally means it faces different problems and even problems that are similair to other cities are often faced at different times.

Montreal will most likely continue to make progress and work through these problems just as all cities usually do. It has battled back since the 70's, and will probably continue its steady rise. That being said, I also would not be totally surprised (though terribley heartbroken) to see Montreal become another dead, or dying rust belt city in 50 years time.

Montreal and Quebec in general definitely feel like a backwater compared to prosperous Toronto and Ontario. The economy is underperforming, there's a lack of jobs, lack of wealth, crumbling infrastructure, low incomes, high taxes, second-rate health care - on top of that, everywhere you see bloated government bureaucracy, duplication of services, inefficiencies, and (I hate to say it) people who don't want to work very hard. Many people I speak with (including Francophones) lament Quebec's underperformance while the rest of Canada is on fire. I haven't met a single ex-pat from Ontario who wants to stay in Quebec, and many life-long Quebecers (including Francophones) are seriously considering moving. Yes, Montreal is doing better than it was ten years ago but the situation is still bad... much worse than I thought it would be, particularly for health care workers. It'll be fun to spend a few years here and I'm having a great time. Montreal is definitely an incredibly interesting and fun city and a lot of the positive stereotypes of the city are true. But there's no future in Quebec... sad and blunt, but true.

It is not that bad. The article, like many newspaper articles, tends to hyperbolize and simplify the issues.

I dunno, man...

"the slowest-growing major city in Canada"

"bottom of the heap in per capita income among the continent's most populous agglomerations"

"the oldest population and fewest university grads on the continent"

...those three stats alone are simply disastrous. There's no way to spin that shit upwards, or to ignore how ominously this bodes for the future, no matter how much subjective hyperbole may fill the article.

All these quotes are just based on how you spin them.

"the slowest-growing major city in Canada"

How do you define major city? Slower than Toronto, Vancouver, and the booming Alberta cities? Sure, but that's not bad. I'm sure it's growing as quickly as many cities in Europe, and we wouldn't say that they're failing.

"bottom of the heap in per capita income among the continent's most populous agglomerations"

I wouldn't believe American statistics for a minute. Anyone who's ever been to a city like Cleveland would tell you that it's far poorer than Montreal.

"the oldest population and fewest university grads on the continent"

I've heard that Montreal has the highest population of students of any major North American city, including Boston.

I'm sure it's growing as quickly as many cities in Europe

What makes you "sure" of that?

I wouldn't believe American statistics for a minute.

Eh? Explain.

Anyone who's ever been to a city like Cleveland would tell you that it's far poorer than Montreal.

Based on what? Looks?

I've heard that Montreal has the highest population of students of any major North American city

You "heard" that, huh? Must be the case. And I thought you "wouldn't believe American statistics for a minute". Plus, students and resident graduates are obviously distinct by definition.

You cavalierly chuck these stats out the window, and then replace them with sub-flimsy hearsay and pure conjecture. Quite compelling, dude.

"Good points"

No, they obviously are not - take a breath, and read above.

Waterloo is considered a 'major'-ish city in Canada, and well over 10% of the residents of KWCambridge are post secondary students.

I don't think Montreal is so bad off. It does, sorry to say, have the rest of Canada to suck off of. Toronto's quest for a new deal from the feds will undoubtedly help Montreal greatly as well. As far as its languishing economy... that tends not to last, especially with high quality post-secondary institutions in Montreal.

What makes you "sure" of that?

Eh? Explain.

Based on what? Looks?

You "heard" that, huh? Must be the case. Plus, students and resident graduates are obviously distinct by definition.

You cavalierly chuck these stats out the window, and then replace them with sub-flimsy hearsay and pure conjecture. Quite compelling, dude.

First of all, dude, I didn't "chuck them out the window." I simply pointed out that there are other statistics that could paint a different picture. I'm obviously aware that students and resident graduates are a different group. So what? A city with an enormous population of students probably doesn't have big problems with education. Maybe Montreal just has a high immigrant population, many of whom don't have the same kind of of education credentials.

Have you ever been to Cleveland? Yes, obviously looks play a part. The fact that large numbers of houses are abandoned. The fact that there is grinding, visible poverty that just doesn't exist in Montreal. I don't give a shit if the Americans put out stats saying their cities are the richest in the world. Their statistical office also claims that Los Angeles stretches to the Nevada border and completely excludes the prison population.

Sigh...I guess I actually have a life which prevents me from digging up where I saw those figures to prove my points to some guy on an internet message board. If you're actually interested in knowing, rather than just appearing smarter than another guy on an internet message board, why don't you go look some of them up yourself?

I love how you had to reinforce that you're right to Darkstar. He, and the rest of us, just have to know just how right and just how smart you are. "Oh no! Someone completely missed my brilliance! I can't allow that to pass."

The article offers no sources, no definitions of what specific areas of the cities it drew its numbers, no charts or tables for people to see what percentage differences separate Montreal from other cities in the stats it throws out, and no historical context of its growth. As I said before, while there is some truth to the article, it lacks any real information to actual have an informed debate on the subject point by point.

This thread will likely prove only one thing, that the situation between Quebec and Montreal and Canada is no different than it was 40 years ago and that unless the issue is actually discussed intelligently (which is not fucking likely) than the same kind of radical movements and irrational actions may well repeat themselves in the not too distant future.

I love how you had to reinforce that you're right to Darkstar. He, and the rest of us, just have to know just how right and just how smart you are. "Oh no! Someone completely missed my brilliance! I can't allow that to pass."

I love your cute, adorable tendency to immediately resort to personal insults the instant your positions are junked for the self-evident, baseless bullshit that they are. There still is nary a shred of substance to a single word you've posted - do you really think that's not clear? Yapping and whining won't hide it, little puppy.

And if that's the best kind of barb you've got to prop up you delicate, tiny and comically easily wounded ego, well sucks to be you. At least call me an asshole or a raving lunatic or something - it amuses me far more. What a joke.

- I think you've made your point. Insults and flaming will not be tolerated.

Comparing Montreal with other "large cities" in Canada is useless because there's so few of them. I'll do it anyway.

Montreal's population only grew 0.6% slower than Ottawa and 1.2% slower than bloody Vancouver, and it grew faster than Quebec, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Halifax, and London (so we're forced to assume none of those are major cities). edited later - this is between 2001 and 2006.

The average age of Montrealers is 37.9 years, while Vancouver's is 37.4...not exactly the spread I was expecting. Toronto and Ottawa are both 36; booming, bustling, baby-filled Edmonton and Calgary are both.....35. So that's easily busted.

Montrealers do hold fewer university degrees than Toronto, Vancouver, or Ottawa, but that doesn't mean anything without further context.

I don't think 2006 income data is out yet, but in 2001, Montrealers did make, on average, less than Torontonians, Ottawans, Vancouverites, or Calgarians, but made only $200 less than Edmontonians and they made more than a slew of other cities. But that's just average income...crunching median and quintile figures would be a bazillion times more useful.

There's no easy way to compare something like earnings data with American cities...American stats measure different stuff and are often tweaked to sometimes include central cities, sometimes the suburbs, sometimes by county, etc...whichever looks better. The best I could do in a few minutes was find a figure of $32,000 CDN per Montrealer with full-time earnings and #43,000 US per Cleveland household. I think Montreal would come out on top if these were made equivalent.

edit - but yeah, get back to your bitching...it's far more amusing and numbers just get in the way.

I've heard that Montreal has the highest population of students of any major North American city, including Boston.

I'm not sure if that's true, but that's not really what the article is saying either. They may go do school there, but that doesn't mean they stick around afterwards.

Back