News   Jul 30, 2024
 357     2 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 537     0 

Globe & Mail: Montreal a backwater burg?

Yeah, everything is relative. Montreal is underperforming by Canadian big city standards, but it's not even in the same solar system as Cleveland.

Yeah, everything is relative. Montreal is underperforming by Canadian big city standards, but it's not even in the same solar system as Cleveland.

Exactly. I think some of our cities have set a very high standard recently. It isn't fair to expect Montreal to compete on those terms. Over all, I think Montreal is doing fine, and will do very well going forward. Hell, I'd move there in an instant even if it meant a pay cut.

This kind o' thing is great to see - Canada needs far more of this, and far less petty regional sneering...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Montreal, Toronto say 'Oui' to co-operation

Diversified cities speak same language in teaming up on mutual economic strategy

by Donovan Vincent
May 12, 2007

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/213125

Economic benefits are driving a new spirit of co-operation between Toronto and Montreal, and the sister city's mayor says language – the bugaboo of the past – won't be a roadblock.

"It's not a barrier anymore. People are realizing it's a competitive advantage" to speak more than one language, Montreal Mayor Gérald Tremblay told reporters at the close of the Toronto/Montreal Business Rendezvous 2007 yesterday.

The two-day working conference, organized by Ryerson University, brought industry leaders and representatives from business schools in both cities together to work on long-term economic strategies.

The cities have long been rivals. Toronto benefited from big business fleeing Montreal amid political uncertainty in Quebec. But now they're talking about co-operating for mutual gain.

Tremblay, speaking alongside Toronto Mayor David Miller, said the language debate that nearly tore the province apart and played a major role in Quebec's near-separation from Canada isn't something Montrealers talk about anymore.

"The fact we are bilingual, trilingual or even speaking four languages, that's the future," he said. "People have accepted it's important for us as citizens of the world to be able to communicate in the best way possible. We're working on what unites us."

Referring to Miller as his "partner," Tremblay said he wants to work with Toronto "to ensure we address the fundamental needs required for us to be more competitive on the world stage."

The first conference of its kind, Rendezvous identified four main initiatives to work on:

- Co-branding each other's cities to promote tourism;

- Educational and research exchanges;

- Developing human capital, especially integrating new immigrants into the workforce;

- Sharing best practices in areas like infrastructure, housing, transit and waterfront renewal.

Miller compared the cities to the Leafs and Canadiens, NHL titans in the '60s, but both shut out of this season's playoffs.

"If you look at Montreal and Toronto, we have similar strengths, but similar difficulties. Both cities need significant investment in transportation infrastructure, for example," Miller said. "Not to stretch the hockey analogy too far, but the right trade can sometimes benefit both teams."

Partnership, he said, offers an opportunity to enhance the economic strength of both cities.

Partnership idea to be considered by mayors: high speed rail link.

finally, a coordinated effort to promote both toronto and montreal...

as for the G&M column, it's basically a rehash of every negative trend that has been discussed in montreal recently. there's nothing original about it. besides, the figures yakabuski quotes are selective and misleading.

things here aren't bad. the economy is growing, the population is growing, the immigration rate is higher than all but a handful of north american cities.

Montreal, Toronto say 'Oui' to co-operation

A little vague, but easily a step in the right direction.

I really believe Toronto and Montreal should be partners and not rivlas in many areas. I'm not sure how, but perhaps there's even some "economies of scale" savings to be found by partnering on infrastructure projects somehow.

The two cities co-operating would be great. It might even put other levels of government into a co-operative mood.

No no, what am I, crazy? Those dumb-as-a-post partisans in Ottawa and the provincial capitals have important squabbling to do!

PS: It will be interesting to see how Toronto and Montreal could combine their tourism pitches - how would each city be branded to look like the essential other-half of a vacation that combines both?

PS: It will be interesting to see how Toronto and Montreal could combine their tourism pitches - how would each city be branded to look like the essential other-half of a vacation that combines both?
I can something in conjunction with VIA Rail being quite successful.

After reading the article, I have no idea what they are planing. There appears to be no substance to this at all.

The article is essentially an announcement that they are getting together to create some substance.

Its just that they are in the process of figuring out what the recipe is for the substance. Once that's done, they'll mix things together, pop it in the oven, wait for some federal cash to rise, and then they'll have something of - uh - substance.

Does sound tasty.

I have been trying to think of what the could colaberate on and I think Hydrogen's suggestion of HSR or transportation issues in general is probably the best idea. If Montreal and Toronto could work out issues and create passenger rail corridors within their own cities (that would also be used by intercity trains) then it could really help give momentum to the idea.

It is sort of a long shot, but you never know. Another idea might be to engage the public with a series of lectures or surveys that could get citizens in both cities to think up potential partnership ideas.

If they'd avoid threats of referendums and political upheaval they'd be better able to sell the city as a place to invest, work, live and play. I've read that during the last referendum that many companies had their inventories and offices ready to move west to Ontario for fear of being nationalized by Mr. Parizeau, who then blamed the loss on "money (i.e. Jews) and ethnics (brown/black folks)". I've always wondered what our Governor General, being from Haiti and connected to the sovereignty movement, thought of Mr. Parizeau's comments.

Whenever I drive from Fredericton to Toronto through Montreal, I am always struck by how much of a dump Montreal is, and I repeatedly wish that the trans-Canada highway went around the city, instead of through it.

He'll get his wish once Autoroute 30 is completed from Brossard to the 20/540 interchange near Dorion.

The best route from 20 East to 20 West/401 right now when traffic is heavy is to follow 20 as it exits the through route before the Lafontaine Tunnel-Bridge, and drive along the south shore (beautiful views of downtown Montreal) and across the Champlain Bridge to 20. Still slow though, and the traffic lights through Ille Perrot and Dorion are a pain. Avoid the 40 (Aut. Metropolitanne) at all costs.

Back