News   Jul 30, 2024
 356     2 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 536     0 

Globe & Mail: Montreal a backwater burg?

Maybe they're all working in Ottawa. Montreal does have a lot of students, though....180,000 university students, alone.

Pep'rJack, what's up with your new trollish style on this board? I don't remember you posting like this on ezboard. Does it feel too much like SSC here?

Pep'rJack, what's up with your new trollish style on this board? I don't remember you posting like this on ezboard. Does it feel too much like SSC here?

Indeed. His attacks on unimaginative were unwarranted.

As for Montreal, I think it's a great city. It has a great vibe, and that DOES count for something. There's a reason why a lot of Torontonians love Montreal.

I spent last weekend in Montreal and it hardly has the feel of a "backwater burg."

At least this article was written by a self-loathing Montrealer and not a Torontonian.

I've never lived there so I'm going to have to believe at least some of what Ganja says about the place. Still, I've lived in 3 of Canada's most economically "dynamic" cities: Waterloo, Edmonton and Toronto...and I think you can guess which one of those 3 I actually enjoy living in.

If the price of economic success is a city like Charlotte, NC or Calgary let's have more Montreals and Buenos Aireses, please.

...Also, I agree with unimaginative about the merits of slow city growth.

That Toronto, a city region of 5 million, adds 120,000 people every year is extremely troubling. To compare, a city like Mexico City or Shanghai, which is a metro of 20 million would have to grow by 500,000 people per year to match this and these burgeoning cities of the third world hardly even make that!

The worst part is that while Toronto adds population at a rate only seen in places like Dhaka, Bangladesh, we are making absolutely no improvements to our transportation infrastructure whatsoever. This is, however, not the case for Mexico City or Shanghai.

If I were to bet on it, I would say that Toronto has an equal or higher chance of getting f___ked in the next 50 years as Montreal.

to weigh in:

- how would it matter how we define major city? If Montreal is in fact growing faster than Saskatoon or Brandon -> how much of a counter-argument would that be?

-and, there have been repeated studies (by Roger Martin of UofT and one of the big banks I think) that places Quebec last (and Ontario not far from) last among major North American jurisdictions in terms of GDP. While it is focused on the provincial level, it is fairly meaningful to this discussion. The reality is that Canada is a less wealthy place than almost all parts of the US. For those with time, the reports are quite good and can be found at: http://www.competeprosper.ca/images/uploads/wp03.pdf

I was under the impression Ontario was one of the fastest growing economies in North America and one of the richest. How can there be such divergent views of a topic? It boggles my mind.

And as for Montreal, I look forward to visiting there again sometime soon hopefully.

Oh yeah, Montreal is always great for a visit, and you don't notice or care about the problems as a tourist. I'm having as much fun here (if not more) as I had in Toronto. Especially as summer approaches, Montreal really comes to life like no other big city in the country. You need to peel back a few layers before you notice the problems. You need to see your pay cheque, pay your taxes and be an employee of the Government of Quebec to appreciate it.

Montreal and Toronto feel quite different as cities. As Canadians we should consider ourselves lucky that out two major population centres have their own unique qualities.

i am very happy that montreal is seen as a "backwater." That its economy is slower than the rest of canada; that fewer canadians (new and old) want to move there. Love it that way! Means i can actually afford to buy and live in a gorgeous brownstone in outremont or a greystone on the plateau--or if i lose my job, a cheapie in historic h-m or st henri! It means that greedy developers aren't knocking down beautiful old or even funky modernist structures...yet. Means that my montreal will remain "secret" to those who believe every news story they read/see/hear.

Keep montreal the way it is: stylish, fashionable, sexy and authentically Quebecois!

Reading that article reminds me of Toronto's predicament vis-a-vis the Ontario (and Federal) government. Charest ignores the economic engine, just like McGuinty and Harper do. The City of Toronto Act is window-dressing and doesn't get to the real heart of the problem, which is the cost of social services downloaded to the city by Harris, and which McGuinty has not corrected in the four years he has been in Toronto. And Harper won't even spare five minutes for Miller. Sorry, bit of an off-topic rant.
I also know that the rest of Quebec generally dislikes Montreal due to its fundamental cultural differences with the rest of the province. This was evident during the provincial election, when the ADQ took off everywhere outside of Montreal. Despite its reputation, Quebec is not this wonderful, tolerant society that embraces liberal, progressive ideals, and Montreal could hardly be described as "Quebecois."

^ Quebec is pretty racist, and I know this from personal experience. If you are not a white francophone chances are they will hate you. Sometimes the restaurants refuse to serve me because I am Asian, though this only happens outside of Montreal.

Sounds like a lot of hyperbole to me. But yes the article does touch on some issues that have plagued the city since the 70's, and likely will for quite a while. Montreal is major city that has probably seen more hard times and turbulence than any other in Canada, it has a lot of history and rough edges. As a place of interest I know a lot of people from here and abroad that still prefer the city over TO, and it is still light years ahead of Calgary as an urban centre.

Everyone: Interesting info about Montreal! I cannot help but wonder if the separatist PQ attitudes toward Anglophones is part of this downturn. I have been to Cleveland myself-and it does not have the "World" attitude or feel that MTL has. Cleveland and Montreal are two completely different cities in my opinion. I believe Montreal has enough going for it to fare quite well. LI MIKE

Back