Fortune at Fort York (Onni) - Real Estate -

Maybe things will change but it appears that for us who received our form occupancy date, we received an email that the PDI will be done by a rep and we will not be able to be a part of it.
I'm on the 3rd floor. I emailed the builder about getting measurements so we could purchase furniture etc and they said measurements will be provided alongside the other documents/pictures from the PDI done by the consultant. Probably not as in-depth as any of us would want, but at least it's something.

let's face it people, these are uncharted times due to, well, ya know.

Without getting into a whole political debate, it's not surprising that corporations like Onni have been kind of left to figure out on their own how to deal with building and doing closings during this era of Covid.

Are we all going to be happy with the choices they make, like the PDI consultants or the lack of things like measurements? Probably not. Is it frustrating, you betcha. I would also like to find out the measurements of my place for things like window coverings and furniture, but we just have to show a bit of patience.

They are doing the best that they can but at the end of the day, we're still in a pandemic and they have to try to keep everyone on their team safe.

I’m in complete acceptance of the situation at hand. I was more curious if anyone had measurements of their layouts from the drawings. I just wanted something to refer to once I measure on site and made sure the developers didn’t deviate from it.

I recall the agent gave us rough dimensions but they were "unofficial". There was nothing was on the plans when we bought.

They can't really deviate on their properties as you were sold a unit of X number of square feet. A wall may be pushed an inch or two one way or the other, but the overall unit size will remain the same.

If you have similar floorplans from Onni, you can estimate dimensions pretty well:
1605731490271.png

The tiles in the bath area are exactly 2 feet by one foot. You can use this as a pretty accurate scale. I don't remember what software I used. But I used that floor tile grid as a scale and all measurement estimates ended up being accurate to within an inch or so. But that's only true for measuring wall distances along the floor...
The unpleasant surprises come from the fact that there are a lot of utility/ventilation spaces hidden behind drywall 'boxes' (for the lack of a better term) that run along the ceiling. Those are nowhere on the floorplan, but those will matter when you need to plan for how to hang your blinds and stuff. You'll see what I mean if you look at the ceilings in this post:

A copy of my post in a thread discussing floor layouts

A couple of floor plans from Westlake Encore. One seemed good on paper and turned out to be great in reality. One seemed good on paper, but turned out to be not so great in reality.

View attachment 233478

First, the 800 sq.ft. 2 bed 2 bath unit.

You can find the PDI photos in my post here. This is the one that looks decent on paper but isn't quite as nice in real life. It's not a bad layout to live in and I'll leave its pros for you to figure out. But I will give you the cons that might not be very apparent from the floor plan:
- Bedrooms are tiny. Once a queen size bed is in, it's hard to walk around it. And forget about fitting in any other piece of furniture. Bedside tables is all you get in either of the bedrooms.
- Foyer and the hallway to the kitchen/living space feels narrow, crammed and is simply a waste of space.
- The walk-in closet feels more crammed than the one in the smaller 600 sq.ft. unit.
- In general, lack of storage space
- Kitchen is pretty much nonfunctional. Between all the appliances taking up most of the kitchen, there is almost no cupboard/pantry space left
- The living room is crammed. Due to lack of solid walls, the furniture layout is forced upon you. There is no physical space for any additional storage besides a TV stand and maybe something small above the TV.
- A corner unit with a major SE exposure and a less major SW exposure. Can be a scorcher on bright summer days.
- HVAC is right next to the bedroom (a concern for light sleepers)

Now onto the 600 sq.ft. 1 bed + den 1 bath unit.
In my personal humble opinion, this layout is one of the best ways to optimize the limited space you have. Here are the pros I see in it:

- The foyer/den room is very spacious
- The foyer/den area is kind of separated from the living/kitchen area so when you come into the apartment, your'e not immediately everywhere at once. Yet it doesn't create any wasted space with hallways.
- The bedroom, while it doesn't seem too much bigger than the 800 sq.ft. master bedroom, it is big enough here to be able to fit a dresser and still walk comfortably around a queen size bed.
View attachment 233481

- Kitchen/living room area feels a lot more spacious than the 2-bed layout.
View attachment 233480

- Kitchen can be psychologically separated from the living room by putting a bar/island between the two. This solution does not destroy the open concept and spaciousness the area offers.
- The kitchen is fully functional, lots of pantry/cupboard space
View attachment 233479

- The balcony is not too big nor is it too small.
View attachment 233474

- The den is spacious enough for it to be converted to a small child's bedroom. So for a tiny 600 sq.ft. apartment, this layout actually offers a livable option for a young family. Here's an example:
View attachment 233482

- Only one side of the unit has window walls; SW exposure. Plenty of light but it's rarely too bright/hot in the unit as the result.
View attachment 233483

- The walk-in closet feels more spacious than the 2 bedroom unit
- Lots of solid walls
- HVAC is away from bedroom/living room areas

As the result, I personally think that the 600 sq.ft. unit is actually much more livable than the 800 sq.ft. unit. If you're willing to sacrifice the 2nd bathroom and the 2nd bedroom privacy, you get a 1.5 bedroom unit where you don't feel crammed all the time and where you have solid walls around which you can put your furniture in any way you'd like.

Did anyone receive a call from "Sandra with Rogers"? She called saying they were offering special phone/internet rates in an agreement with the builder for the first year after move-in. This is my first pre-construction condo and with so many spam calls these days, I wasn't sure if this was legit.

There are often special deals with Rogers or Bell. But also check Beanfield. They are amazing.

Reactions: AHK
29 more days for meeeee! Y’all excited or what?!?
Didn’t receive any call about offer on Internet package. But I’ve heard and seen many great deals from Beanfield.

Given the new restrictions announced today with the lock down in Toronto, does anyone suspect that this might impact the occupancy date for those of us who have already gotten our date?

Nothing I read today indicated changes to the construction industry. They were building in the spring when everyone was in lockdown. So it's unlikely. However, buying blinds or furniture, that may be a problem

News paper will have to do for the blinds.
But are hardware stores still open? Home Depot would fall under that category.

I don’t think construction will stop unless the finishes go through another logistical nightmare.

Stay safe fellow neighbours

can anyone advise on when we sign the statement of critical dates form that was sent in the mail? Is it when you pick up you keys?

I just booked the elevator. So excited.

@bubu51 not sure what but I’m sure you’ll be signing something once you pickup your keys.

Back