News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 664     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I think the problem you’re refusing to acknowledge (despite repeating ad nauseam how much you think the TTC solution is superior) - is that the current TTC solution is poor for the very things you claim it can deliver: the majority of the screen is taken up by non-system information, is not visible from a distance, and what system information it contains is not delivered effectively. And the TTC does not seem particularly interested in moving fast to improve it, at all.

So yeah - a bunch of people (including me) are skeptical that looking at the TTC for examples of how to create effective platform messaging is worthwhile.

I think the problem you’re refusing to acknowledge (despite repeating ad nauseam how much you think the TTC solution is superior) - is that the current TTC solution is poor for the very things you claim it can deliver: the majority of the screen is taken up by non-system information, is not visible from a distance, and what system information it contains is not delivered effectively. And the TTC does not seem particularly interested in moving fast to improve it, at all.

So yeah - a bunch of people (including me) are skeptical that looking at the TTC for examples of how to create effective platform messaging is worthwhile.

I agree w/what your saying in terms of the quality of the screen; just one thing..........

The TTC is not the owner/programmer.

The screens were provided by then the then advertising contractor (One Stop) and inherited by the current one (Pattison).

The TTC makes no editorial decisions about the screens, other than to provide input to the scroll/highlight function provided for along the bottom.

The layout is/was poor, the screens are years out of date; but that's a poor Ad contract.

Equally, I will agree with @EastYorkTTCFan that to the extent one may find utility in these screens as they are, or as they could be; there would need to be more, equitably distributed along the length of platforms.

As a communications too that can only be read 20M or less away, one, or even two per platform are wholly inadequate.

The TTC is not the owner/programmer.

The screens were provided by then the then advertising contractor (One Stop) and inherited by the current one (Pattison).
Interesting. TIL. I thought that Pattison was imply responsible for the advertising content - not that they owned the screen and the format.

A class example of how selling pieces of public infrastructure off can make us all worse off.

Equally, I will agree with @EastYorkTTCFan that to the extent one may find utility in these screens in they are, or as they could be; there would need to be more, equitably distributed along the length of platforms.

As a communications too that can only be read 20M or less away, one, or even two per platform are wholly inadequate.

Agreed. There need to be more, and/or in a different format entirely. Earlier in this long discussion I advocated for something like the MTA’s huge pedestal LCDs - with at least 3 per platform. They’re very visible, have large, high contrast lettering and one side is filled with system-wide information. They are, unfortunately, prone to vandalism.

Interesting. TIL. I thought that Pattison was imply responsible for the advertising content - not that they owned the screen and the format.

A class example of how selling pieces of public infrastructure off can make us all worse off.

I'm not sure of whether the TTC ever inherited or inherits the old black boxes; I just remember asking if another set could be installed at my local station and was told that's entirely up to Pattison; they've achieved their contractual minimum.

Agreed. There need to be more, and/or in a different format entirely. Earlier in this long discussion I advocated for something like the MTA’s huge pedestal LCDs - with at least 3 per platform. They’re very visible, have large, high contrast lettering and one side is filled with system-wide information. They are, unfortunately, prone to vandalism.

The TTC has a version on the trackside wall at Union Station that's very readable from the platform, though because its flat, the side-view range is limited.

1703253663305.jpeg

Screen on the right: - Credit @PMT

The other thing they've tried is what they installed on the TYSSE, which is just those simple 3-line displays for next train, no 'tv-like' information.

This thread has gotten ridiculous. Can't the world's greatest screen debate be moved here?
No because this is about the lack of them on Metrolink lines and not about the TTC having them. Finch and Eglinton are both owned and maintained by Metrolink and outside of running the trains and maning the fare gates everything is up to Metrolink.

No because this is about the lack of them on Metrolink lines and not about the TTC having them. Finch and Eglinton are both owned and maintained by Metrolink and outside of running the trains and maning the fare gates everything is up to Metrolink.

Just for clarification, the regional transit planning entity's name ends in an 'x' not a 'k'.

Metrolink is in California. The agency in Ontario is spelt Metrolinx.

Metrolink is in California. The agency in Ontario is spelt Metrolinx.
There are a number of Metrolink's around and adding an X in place of K is still the same thing to a point. It's like using MTA for a regional system than can be anyplace without a city been use with it.

The powers to be could had come up with something different to be different from the run of the mill name.

There are a number of Metrolink's around and adding an X in place of K is still the same thing to a point. It's like using MTA for a regional system than can be anyplace without a city been use with it.
That's the only other Metrolin_ I know of but I'm sure you are correct.

The powers to be could had come up with something different to be different from the run of the mill name.
Agreed. They could've picked a better name.

Back