News   May 14, 2024
 271     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 349     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 414     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

They do announcements if there are any issues elsewhere in the system.
How does that help someone who is deaf? Also are they going to announce if elevators are out of service as well? The led screens Metrolink has installed on here and on the crosstown are absolutely useless unless you want to know what the next two trains on a platform are coming. The video screens that the TTC has are more useful than those any day.

How does that help someone who is deaf? Also are they going to announce if elevators are out of service as well? The led screens Metrolink has installed on here and on the crosstown are absolutely useless unless you want to know what the next two trains on a platform are coming. The video screens that the TTC has are more useful than those any day.

They're really not. Unless you stand right under them or have a camera with a telephoto lens, you can't make out anything on them. Why should I have to walk along half or 3/4ths of the platform just to know when my next train is coming? And as a follow up, how do the TTC signs help someone who is deaf? Are you asserting that Metrolinx is incapable of having the signs change on the fly to communicate service delays? I don't like ML either, but give them at least a little bit of credit.

How does it benefit TTC riders to know that somewhere, someone committed a heinous crime? Is this really what you want to see when commuting? You don't need to know anything but when your train is coming, or if it has been delayed. Anything else is just visual assault.

They're really not. Unless you stand right under them or have a camera with a telephoto lens, you can't make out anything on them. Why should I have to walk along half or 3/4ths of the platform just to know when my next train is coming? And as a follow up, how do the TTC signs help someone who is deaf? Are you asserting that Metrolinx is incapable of having the signs change on the fly to communicate service delays? I don't like ML either, but give them at least a little bit of credit.

How does it benefit TTC riders to know that somewhere, someone committed a heinous crime? Is this really what you want to see when commuting? You don't need to know anything but when your train is coming, or if it has been delayed. Anything else is just visual assault.
The TTC screens on the platform show information when an elevator is out of service at a station as well as when parts of a line is out of service which is useful information that the ones on the Metrolink platforms are missing, probably because they think that every one is going to check their emails to find out that information.

Yes the TTC needs more of the video screens and in some stations they have added more like for example at Dundas and queen stations where they have replaced the older ones with new ones.

It is useful to know when elevators and lines are out of service, yes, but:

a) most of the time, that is not what the TTC monitors show - most of the time, they show irrelevant news, with the next train in tiny text below, and
b) I don't think that's the right place to communicate that kind of information. Perhaps additional, general information screens elsewhere in the station/stop would be a better place for it. All I know is that every other city I have ever travelled to only has train information for that particular platform on the screen. If I am waiting for the train at the station, and I am looking to know when it's coming, why would I care about elevators or lines, perhaps lines halfway across town, that are out of service?

It is useful to know when elevators and lines are out of service, yes, but:

a) most of the time, that is not what the TTC monitors show - most of the time, they show irrelevant news, with the next train in tiny text below, and
b) I don't think that's the right place to communicate that kind of information. Perhaps additional, general information screens elsewhere in the station/stop would be a better place for it. All I know is that every other city I have ever travelled to only has train information for that particular platform on the screen. If I am waiting for the train at the station, and I am looking to know when it's coming, why would I care about elevators or lines, perhaps lines halfway across town, that are out of service?
Other places show more train information because they have more than one line serving a station. In Toronto we don't so having information about more than one train is pointless, i don't understand why anyone thinks you need to know that there is a train in 5 minutes and then one going to the same direction in 10 minutes.

Just because you don't find the monitors on TTC platforms useful doesn't mean that other people don't. Just like how i don't think the one's on line 5 and line 6 are going to be useful at all. Hopefully Metrolink does something better for the Ontario line or monitors get added at a later date.

Other places show more train information because they have more than one line serving a station. In Toronto we don't so having information about more than one train is pointless, i don't understand why anyone thinks you need to know that there is a train in 5 minutes and then one going to the same direction in 10 minutes.
I mean...it gives me some idea of frequency and delays. I'm with @T3G - if I'm at a station, the overhead LCDs can tell me what's happening on the current line. Pedestal LCDs on the platform can give more system-wide information.

Also, I will say that I loathe the TTC's displays with CP24 on them. For displays done dramatically better, the ones the MTA uses are worlds better. They say the delays happening on all lines (in big text), they often have a system map, and they have the next train arrivals. Downside: a number of them have been vandalized, but they're surprisingly tough.

I mean...it gives me some idea of frequency and delays. I'm with @T3G - if I'm at a station, the overhead LCDs can tell me what's happening on the current line. Pedestal LCDs on the platform can give more system-wide information.

Also, I will say that I loathe the TTC's displays with CP24 on them. For displays done dramatically better, the ones the MTA uses are worlds better. They say the delays happening on all lines (in big text), they often have a system map, and they have the next train arrivals. Downside: a number of them have been vandalized, but they're surprisingly tough.
The TTC displays show more information then a crappy two line dot matrix screen that will only show two train. Why knowing if the train behind the one coming to the station is delayed is helpful to anyone i have no clue what you are thinking that is helpful. What is helpful is if you are going somewhere and knowing in advance that there is a service interruption or if you need an elevator that one is out of service. Metrolink's has made a really poor choice with these signs and they shou d change them to the same standard at the TTC has for it's stations.

Why knowing if the train behind the one coming to the station is delayed is helpful to anyone i have no clue what you are thinking that is helpful.
OK. I can buy that.
What is helpful is if you are going somewhere and knowing in advance that there is a service interruption or if you need an elevator that one is out of service.
Yeah - agreed on that.
Metrolink's has made a really poor choice with these signs and they shou d change them to the same standard at the TTC has for it's stations.
No. The TTC's model used on subway platforms is s****y. The vast majority of the screen is not devoted to useful service information. It needs a rethink, just as much as Metrolinx's model that you dislike.

No. The TTC's model used on subway platforms is s****y. The vast majority of the screen is not devoted to useful service information. It needs a rethink, just as much as Metrolinx's model that you dislike.
No metrolinks design is worse becuse it can't be changed to show anythging else other then pointles informain about the next two trains. It's a good as the next train sign at theends of the line at TTC subway sations and nothing else. Just becuse you don't want to know what is going on ibn the worksd when you are on a subway paltform or LRT platfom in this case doesn't mean that other people don't. The sceens on go train paltformes would be a better upagarde then the cheap crap they used here.

The TTC signs are bad right now, but at least they can be changed if anyone bothered to lift a finger. The Metrolinx signs will stay like that until they are replaced. It's like trying to argue the dot-matrix displays on the TTC buses were better/the same as the new screens because the new screens are equally terrible.

The TTC signs are bad right now, but at least they can be changed if anyone bothered to lift a finger. The Metrolinx signs will stay like that until they are replaced. It's like trying to argue the dot-matrix displays on the TTC buses were better/the same as the new screens because the new screens are equally terrible.
Whatever i just think on a platform at an underground, interchange station there should be better information screens then on an outdoor platform.

i don't understand why anyone thinks you need to know that there is a train in 5 minutes and then one going to the same direction in 10 minutes.
So that I know how much longer I'm going to have to suffer in the bitter cold, or if the service gap is so huge I should cut my losses and call an Uber.

How is knowing when the next train on the line you are using useless, but knowing whether a line halfway across town is in service or not useful? What if I've never used that line in my life and have no intentions to? I'm waiting at the station for my line, that's what matters to me, all other services are completely irrelevant.

Keep an eye out for the full testing of the main line. 👀
1703085028512.png

So that I know how much longer I'm going to have to suffer in the bitter cold, or if the service gap is so huge I should cut my losses and call an Uber.
I wasn't talking about the ones on the outside platforms. I was talking about the ones on the underground platforms where people will be changing to line 1 and may even be going to other lines as well.
How is knowing when the next train on the line you are using useless, but knowing whether a line halfway across town is in service or not useful? What if I've never used that line in my life and have no intentions to? I'm waiting at the station for my line, that's what matters to me, all other services are completely irrelevant.
Just because you don't think you need that information doesn't mean that someone else won't as well. Both this line and the crosstown will be operating similar to the subway and not like a streetcar despite what people on here want you to think based on nothing at all except their own opinion of them running above ground and not being completely separate from cars.

Information about service interruptions is important for people because they may need to change how they are getting somewhere.

Back