News   May 14, 2024
 167     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 314     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

So does that mean that it actually is useful to know when the next vehicle is coming? Or is information only important when you need it?
No not at all unless it's on another line. They are no more useful than the one's at a bus stop that only has one route serving it. If you are waiting for an LRT and it arrives in 5 minutes why do you need to know that the one behind it is running late or on time?

No not at all unless it's on another line. They are no more useful than the one's at a bus stop that only has one route serving it. If you are waiting for an LRT and it arrives in 5 minutes why do you need to know that the one behind it is running late or on time?
I'll repeat your own phrase back at you: Just because you don't think you need that information doesn't mean that someone else won't as well.
Why would the signs only show the LRV coming after the next one? They will also show the next one, which is about as relevant as knowing the schedule for the line you're using. Or perhaps you'd like to stop publishing schedules, because who cares, an LRV will arrive when it arrives.

I'll repeat your own phrase back at you: Just because you don't think you need that information doesn't mean that someone else won't as well.
Why would the signs only show the LRV coming after the next one? They will also show the next one, which is about as relevant as knowing the schedule for the line you're using. Or perhaps you'd like to stop publishing schedules, because who cares, an LRV will arrive when it arrives.
Exactly my point they are completely usesles unless you are only using that line. I don't really understand what you are trying to argue. I'm trying to say that people need more information then just what the one line they at where as you seem to think that it's okay to have no information about anything else happening in the system because you don't think you are going to use it.

• Haha
Reactions: T3G
Dot matrix displays are capable of displaying more than one thing! On GRT's ION, the first line is used to display the next departure and a clock, and the second line alternates between the following departure and a system message, if one is available - service disruptions, schedule changes, calls for passenger feedback, anything you like! All the same information is also available from audio announcements (aside from the clock).

Another good thing to know is whether certain trains are short-turning. Which can definitely happen on the line. One may want to know if the next train is a short turn, and how long until the train after that may go all the way to that passengers destination. Service disruptions and other service information are best on other screens through the station.

Dot matrix displays are capable of displaying more than one thing! On GRT's ION, the first line is used to display the next departure and a clock, and the second line alternates between the following departure and a system message, if one is available - service disruptions, schedule changes, calls for passenger feedback, anything you like! All the same information is also available from audio announcements (aside from the clock).
comapring a one line system to a major subwy sytem isn't relly a good one. Personaly I would'n't want to try and read the amount of scorlling texct you would have to havbe on a diot matrick screen to tell someone about a subway delay or an elevator being out. Sorry Metololinks relly dropped the ball on this and should be consaltung withg the TTC with thnigs like this isneted of thinking they know better.
Another good thing to know is whether certain trains are short-turning. Which can definitely happen on the line. One may want to know if the next train is a short turn, and how long until the train after that may go all the way to that passengers destination. Service disruptions and other service information are best on other screens through the station.
I higley doubt metrlonks or the TTC is going to indicate train length whn the plan is eith two or three car unist andf most liokkey only two for now. I get they do this in euope but thats with main line trains more like go transit that subway streetar and LRT lines

There is very little either the TTC or Metrolinx can learn from each other. They are both ineptly run organizations blinkered by Torontonian exceptionalism and are woefully ignorant of the vast, wide world out there. But I'd rather Metrolinx not learn about giant LCD screens being used for irrelevant news and advertising, thanks.

There is very little either the TTC or Metrolinx can learn from each other. They are both ineptly run organizations blinkered by Torontonian exceptionalism and are woefully ignorant of the vast, wide world out there. But I'd rather Metrolinx not learn about giant LCD screens being used for irrelevant news and advertising, thanks.
Whatever i don't understand why people want to hate screens that give information about things that people actually need just because advertising is shown on them as well. Metrolink is terrible with their information screens and if they are connected with the TTC they should be showing TTC information in all locations that they are connecting with it.

You would understand perfectly why people hate those screens if you read the posts that have been made in this thread.

They are shit because they devote the majority of the space to irrelevant news, and you can't see when your next train is coming, which is what you want to see as a passenger. If you are at one end of the platform or the other, you need to walk halfway across just to be able to see this information. This is not always easy, particularly if the platform is crowded at rush hour, or if you have mobility challenges, and having to walk further along the platform is just salt in the wound, all because the enlightened "thinkers" at the TTC think that the important thing for commuters waiting at their train station to know is that somewhere, someone, committed a heinous crime.

That is why they are shit. I do not know how I can make this any clearer.

You would understand perfectly why people hate those screens if you read the posts that have been made in this thread.

They are shit because they devote the majority of the space to irrelevant news, and you can't see when your next train is coming, which is what you want to see as a passenger. If you are at one end of the platform or the other, you need to walk halfway across just to be able to see this information. This is not always easy, particularly if the platform is crowded at rush hour, or if you have mobility challenges, and having to walk further along the platform is just salt in the wound, all because the enlightened "thinkers" at the TTC think that the important thing for commuters waiting at their train station to know is that somewhere, someone, committed a heinous crime.

That is why they are shit. I do not know how I can make this any clearer.
I disagree with you just as i disagree with everyone else who wants to talk crap about them being shit. I don't find the news is irrelevant because for many people that might be the only way that they see any news as many people don't watch TV news or read newspapers anymore.

I don't think they are shit and people giving their opinion in here isn't going to change mine probably no more than mine is going to change yours.

Also to solve the problem of people not being able to see them they need to add more to every station

Why would we intentionally want to hamper ourselves because the status quo sucks? This is completely nonsensical.

It doesn't matter that the current signs are shit. We chose an objectively worse technology because what, "they might do something a little bad with it"? Metrolinx already has experience with large, colour LCD screens. If Metrolinx wanted to have news and advertise on their screens, they would have already done it at the dozens of train stations they own. Improvement exists and change can happen. Dot-matrix signs preclude any of the improvements from ever happening.

Why would we intentionally want to hamper ourselves because the status quo sucks? This is completely nonsensical.

It doesn't matter that the current signs are shit. We chose an objectively worse technology because what, "they might do something a little bad with it"? Metrolinx already has experience with large, colour LCD screens. If Metrolinx wanted to have news and advertise on their screens, they would have already done it at the dozens of train stations they own. Improvement exists and change can happen. Dot-matrix signs preclude any of the improvements from ever happening.
Which is exactly what I'm trying to say. Just because the TTC has a contract for advertising on the screens doesn't mean Metrolink has to have them as well.

But also as you said LCD screens are more dynamic in nature and can show more information in a better way then a dot matrix board can which is why on the newer TTC buses they have switched to LCD screens instead of them inside the bus. Yes they are currently not very good but they are still better than the dot matrix board is, also they have been testing out different displays on them and are slowly rolling the changes out to them.

I disagree with you just as i disagree with everyone else who wants to talk crap about them being shit. I don't find the news is irrelevant because for many people that might be the only way that they see any news as many people don't watch TV news or read newspapers anymore.

I don't think they are shit and people giving their opinion in here isn't going to change mine probably no more than mine is going to change yours.

Also to solve the problem of people not being able to see them they need to add more to every station
To me, it's not the presence of news that's the problem; it's the absence of system-specific information at a size readable more than 10m away. Information is so much more important than a CP24 Chiron.

To me, it's not the presence of news that's the problem; it's the absence of system-specific information at a size readable more than 10m away. Information is so much more important than a CP24 Chiron.
Which is a problem that can be solved with more screens. For example take a look at Dundas and Queen now. They replaced the older ones with a lot more smaller ones with much clearer screen then the one's currently installed in other stations.

Back