News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.8K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 600     1 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I'm wondering if getting Eglinton done with tunnel speeds equal to a subway and no transfers will cause people to push for LRT in the tunnel under Sheppard. I certainly expect there to be more riders on the Eglinton line tunnel portion than the Sheppard subway when done.

I'd think if successful, and both speeds and frequencies can be maintained then it would certainly weaken any opposition. But we'll have to see how Eglinton works out. I think they can do speed in the tunnel; I'm not quite sure how well they will maintain a regular service.

Finch Ave. W., between Dufferin St. and Wilmington Ave., has been closed since Friday (July 24th) evening after a large sinkhole formed.

The oversized pothole is five-metres in circumference and two-metres deep.

From the Toronto Sun:
A massive sinkhole has put Finch Ave. W. just east of Dufferin St. out of bounds for the next few days.

Crews spent most of yesterday digging down to the broken storm pipe that caused the sinkhole late Friday, but City of Toronto officials said the cleanup and repair will continue until at least tomorrow.

Crews were using video cameras to help pinpoint the blockage in the pipe.

City spokesman Kevin Sack said it was too early to know what caused the sinkhole.

"We won't know until we get down there," he said.

Myles Currie, Toronto's director of transportation services, said the eastbound lanes of the road started to look depressed around 7 p.m. Friday. Less than two hours later the depression sank and filled with water, leaving the sinkhole about five metres around and two metres deep.

Since then the city has had the entire road closed between Dufferin St. and Wilmington Dr. and has been working to manage the traffic in the area around the closure.

For the foreseeable future, Finch Ave. W. will be closed between Dufferin and Bathurst Sts., city officials said, but some local westbound traffic along Finch will be allowed past Bathurst.

"We'll continue to work to do the repairs as quickly as we can," Currie said, adding there was no timeline yet on when the work will be completed.

This is the second biggy of a sinkhole or road collapse near rivers or streams on Finch West in recent years. Maybe not as big as the one that occured west of Keele, but still a problem none the less.

I just hope that when the start the construction that they overbuild the river and stream crossings on all the LRT routes. It would be a bigger problem because there are no diversion routes like what the streetcar routes have downtown. What would happen if light rail vehicles were actually running? Shuttle buses between Dufferin and Finch, to LRV crossovers at Dufferin and Finch? How would it be handled?

Last edited:
^^ I'm guessing that when the entire street basically gets rebuilt for Transit City, they'll do some much-needed upgrades to underground infrastructure. I guess after that though, they'll just hope they did a good enough job on the system :p

On a rather different note, what ever happened to trolley busses? There's tonnes of routes in Toronto that would make perfect trolley bus routes, and I'm thinking Finch East would be the best candidate. The frequency of busses on the route is massive, and there's a couple big hills that trolley busses could handle much better than regular ones. Has the TTC even looked at this?

On a rather different note, what ever happened to trolley busses? There's tonnes of routes in Toronto that would make perfect trolley bus routes, and I'm thinking Finch East would be the best candidate. The frequency of busses on the route is massive, and there's a couple big hills that trolley busses could handle much better than regular ones. Has the TTC even looked at this?

riiiiiight. Torlley busses. As if everybody is so eger to pay for yet another set of infrastructure that the same everybody did so eagerly to destory only 20 years prior.

An update to the project is available for download in PDF form from this link.

It's an update for the Emery Village BIA Advisory Committee, dated September 3, 2009, showing the line from Yonge to Hwy 27. However, the route map inside the PDF shows that the west terminal will be at Humber College itself, not just at Hwy 27. It does mention that going to the Don Mills station is only a possible future extension, same as Woodbine Live! and the airport.

Last edited:
I thought connections to Don Mills Subway Station was a prerequisite to provincial grants.

W.K. Lis said:
An update to the project is available for download in PDF form from this link.

It's an update for the Emery Village BIA Advisory Committee, dated September 3, 2009, showing the line from Yonge to Hwy 27. However, the route map inside the PDF shows that the west terminal will be at Humber College itself, not just at Hwy 27. It does mention that going to the Don Mills station is only a possible future extension, same as Woodbine Live! and the airport.
Oh good. Starting it from Yonge to Humber College makes a lot of sense. I can see some demand for service to Woodbine Live! and Pearson, but that should be left to a future extension.

Also very, very good that the utterly stupid Don Mills extension isn't being built yet. Finch West has got to be the best candidate for LRT in the entire City, and it'd be so sad to see a great project be spoiled by the stupidity of another. Hopefully Sheppard East will be dead by the time this LRT is finished, but if it's not, at least don't try to make a crosstown LRT line in attempt to prove that Sheppard really was a disaster.

Oh good. Starting it from Yonge to Humber College makes a lot of sense. I can see some demand for service to Woodbine Live! and Pearson, but that should be left to a future extension.

Also very, very good that the utterly stupid Don Mills extension isn't being built yet. Finch West has got to be the best candidate for LRT in the entire City, and it'd be so sad to see a great project be spoiled by the stupidity of another. Hopefully Sheppard East will be dead by the time this LRT is finished, but if it's not, at least don't try to make a crosstown LRT line in attempt to prove that Sheppard really was a disaster.

You know... If they cancelled the Finch East extension to Don mills and the Sheppard LRT. Then completed the Sheppard subway from STC to York (interlined with the Spadina extension). There'd be a nice connection to the Finch LRT at Keele and Finch for crosstown riders. Hmmmm?

Are they severely lagging behind on the expected completion dates for Transit City? This one was initially projected to be finished in 2013 now they say possibly 2015. I believe the same thing happened with the Eglinton line.

It almost lessens the suspense knowing it's going to take so damn long.

^^

that's an awsome idea. Who's paying for it?

They could start small.

Already allocated for Finch LRT (1 B) and Sheppard LRT (0.8 B): total 1.8 B

Could do this: Finch LRT from Yonge to Humber C (0.7 B) and Sheppard subway from Don Mills to Agincourt (1.5 B): total 2.2 B

Extra cost: 0.4 B, which is not a huge amount in the context of the massive network builing currently on the way.

Glad to see some progress on this line. I'm looking forward to the PIC #2 this fall. Lets hope that construction can start in the spring of 2010. It makes sense that it will take about 4-5 years to finish this project. 2013 was never a realistic timeline for it. I'll be very happy for them to start this project as it would be a good example of a logical place for an LRT line.

BTW, does anyone know when the city is due to repair the Finch hole @ Dufferin? They seem to be taking their time repairing it.

They could start small.

Already allocated for Finch LRT (1 B) and Sheppard LRT (0.8 B): total 1.8 B

Could do this: Finch LRT from Yonge to Humber C (0.7 B) and Sheppard subway from Don Mills to Agincourt (1.5 B): total 2.2 B

Extra cost: 0.4 B, which is not a huge amount in the context of the massive network builing currently on the way.

You probably need to find backup for those numbers that you're providing.

You probably need to find backup for those numbers that you're providing.

"Already allocated for Finch LRT (1 B) and Sheppard LRT (0.8 B): total 1.8 B"

- This is from the recent provincial funding announcements (in case of Sheppard, provincial + federal).

"Could do this: Finch LRT from Yonge to Humber C (0.7 B)"

- This is proportional, based on the length of Finch W line versus the Finch E / Don Mills segment.

"and Sheppard subway from Don Mills to Agincourt (1.5 B): total 2.2 B"

- Estimate: distance 5.5 km, cost $275 M per km, total $1.51 B.

Back