News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.8K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 601     1 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I don't have a problem with a Finch LRT along both east and west.

What I really HATE is having an LRT on Finch West and on Sheppard East and trying to combine them into some kind of Frankenstein monster LRT route.
I know the across Finch and down Don Mills to Don Mills Stn proposal, but am I mistaken or did I not see an idea floating around that proposed a diagonal, (partly?) underground route from Yonge and Finch to Don Mills Stn?

I'd prefer finishing the Sheppard Subway from Downsview to STC, and then there you go, you have a crosstown route.
So would most of us here, but given the current mindset of the TTC, the chances seem bleak. It still amazes me that York Region has massive interest in building Toronto subways, and Toronto has very little.

I've been checking a few locations and I'm consistently getting a minimum of 27 metres. Which is exactly what I'm getting on on St. Clair between Yonge and Avenue Road.

Not seeing the issue here ...

Apparently, you are right ... I found a place (just east of Oriole) where St. Clair seems to be just 25 m (between the property lines). Yet, 4 lanes of traffic and 2 ROW lanes fit somehow.

I have a quick question.

Each LRT line has a proposed finish date. Does this date signifiy when the LRT will be up and running to the public or when it's simply ready for the public?

I wasn't sure if the whole new network opens in 2020 or not.

I have a quick question.

Each LRT line has a proposed finish date. Does this date signifiy when the LRT will be up and running to the public or when it's simply ready for the public?.

I'm sorry but :confused:

Sorry, phrased that terribly.

The Finch line isn't expected to be finished until 2013, but how does that work when the Finch West station is proposed to be finished in 2015? Doesn't the Finch line connect to the Finch West Staiton?

Hope that helps.

We all know the answer to that one. The Spadina extension will most likely open well before the Finch LRT does or at the same time. The 2013 schedule is not going to be met for Finch LRT, nor for Sheppard LRT. That's just 4 years away. They haven't started construction yet. I'd guess that Spadina subway and Finch LRT would open around 2015-16.

St. Clair is much shorter length and they started construction in 2006, and they're still not done yet, and wont be done until 2010.

Oh, and you think they are going to finish the Spadina line on time?

Surely the answer is simple. If the LRT opens first, then it would simply bypass the station, staying in the street, with the loop into the station being finished at a later date. Presumably they would at least build portals into Finch off the road ROW at the time of LRT construction.

Actually, yes I think that Spadina will be finished on time. At least the portion to York U will. However, by the way they're doing the TC lines, Finch could be much later, and I think it will be. I think it would be a miracle if Finch-Sheppard crosstown got finished by 2016, let alone all the other lines that are supposed to be open by then.

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole of Finch is late; but I'd be surprised if that piece is over 2 years late. And though Spadina has more chance of coming in on time at the moment ... it's pretty early days.

However, the question wasn't "do you think that the subway will be done first". It was "how does that work". And I think that's now been asked and answered. Clearly there has to be a bypass at a station, similiar to St. Clair East and Bathurst. So they just use the bypass.

Depending on how they're building the lines, Finch is a much newer street and thus may be less complicated than St. Clair. At least where the overhead wires are concerned.

I only hope that they don't cough up with a SOF, SOE, or SOS II.

In general I think Finch West will be less of a problem than St. Clair in terms of opposition, but don't be fooled, some opposition exists, especially for stretch between Bathurst and Yonge, as it's wealthier and the LRT may include property cuts and turn restrictions.

However, Finch east will be a disaster if they try to push it down and force huge property cuts. Residents there are quite well off and will fight city hall tooth and nail to either have the LRT burried or pushed to the hydro corridor for the Yonge to Don Mills stretch. Arguably, I would support this since in it's current form, Finch east is perfectly good the way it is, and widening between Yonge and Bayview is not possible without huge property line cuts.

I just wish the TTC would give us better updates on the status of this project. All the other lines seems to be going faster than this one with more open houses and more frequent updates, yet this is the second priority line after Sheppard, but nothing so far. Even Eglinton is going faster with more detailed route plans and potential stops listed.

They seem to be moving quickest on the routes where there is a danger that they could be upgraded to subway.

In a convoluted way that kinda makes sense. Eglinton and Sheppard were the corridors chosen for subway in the past, and now the TTC is building LRT on both. But at least on Eglinton it's not making a route with 3 different modes of transit.

Back