News   Jul 17, 2024
 79     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 705     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 611     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Hopefully by never building it. Finch East doesn't need an LRT Yet.
Fixed that for ya. If Finch East doesn't end up needing LRT, then it at least needs BRT.

I guess the fact that the Sheppard Subway (should and at least does) go pretty far out will take away a bit of the need for LRT along the entire route, but it definitely needs the works; ROW, Limited Stops, All-Door Boarding and Honor System, Articulated Busses. Though I agree with the intended point (I think) that Finch West LRT should not be extended anywhere past Yonge. It's just stupid, and not even just because Sheppard should be subway all the way to STC and Downsview.

Finch East doesn't need an LRT.
And yet the Finch East bus has more passengers than Finch West, Sheppard East, Don Mills, or Jane.

The only problem with the Finch East LRT is it stops at Jane. Perhaps this is the one that should be extended to Malvern!

There's nothing that needs fixing on Finch East. Buses on that route work fine. And I don't think there's enough space for a ROW between Yonge and Bayview.

Well there is that really big preexisting ROW between like what? Weston and Neilson? I think "Between Yonge and Bayview" falls within the dominion of that, right?

It does, but A) all recent proposals for a possible LRT east of Yonge that I'm aware of are along Finch, not the Hydro corridor, and B) I'm not interested in either one.

There's nothing that needs fixing on Finch East. Buses on that route work fine.
There's a bus almost every minute (51.4 buses per hour) at peak periods between Finch station and Don Mills. And presumably this will only increase. Surely that is pushing the limit of where it's feasible. No one is saying that LRT isn't justified on the Don Mills line between the Danforth and Thorncliffe, and the total of the 4 routes running across the Leaside bridge is only 54.6 buses per hour!

And I don't think there's enough space for a ROW between Yonge and Bayview.
Why not? According to the Official plan, it has the same 36 metre ROW there, that it has for it's entire length, the same as Sheppard. They put tracks down Spadina with no problems, and it is the same 36 metre ROW. Heck, they put tracks down St. Clair and it's only 30 metre for most of the length, and 27 metre east of Avenue Road!

No way that's correct. Finch west of Yonge is definitely wider than (most of) Finch between Yonge and Bayview.

There's a bus almost every minute (51.4 buses per hour) at peak periods between Finch station and Don Mills. And presumably this will only increase. Surely that is pushing the limit of where it's feasible. No one is saying that LRT isn't justified on the Don Mills line between the Danforth and Thorncliffe, and the total of the 4 routes running across the Leaside bridge is only 54.6 buses per hour!
Well apparently there's some issue involving money, and "We can't just put higher order transit everywhere."

Good point though. Though I imagine Finch East isn't getting anything because the Sheppard LRT will use it's LRT magic to attract everyone on Finch to it instead. This would arguably be done much better with a subway to STC, but even then I don't think a massive amount of people would switch.

EDIT: Just wondering, have they decided the terminus yet? It sure would be cool if it was Wild Water Kingdom, but I guess that Woodbine/Pearson is a "more logical" terminus. Psh, no way that Pearson could attract nearly as many people as a water park would! Of course, if they had to choose they could be intelligent and just split the route and have a part continue along to Wild Water Kingdom-ish, and another one to Pearson.

Last edited:
No way that's correct. Finch west of Yonge is definitely wider than (most of) Finch between Yonge and Bayview.
The ROW includes everything between the property lines, not just the existing pavement. Looking at the airphoto between Kenneth and Yonge, there is a lot of extra land on the north side, between the sidewalk and roadway. If that sidewalk is indicative of where the propety line is, there is plenty of space along Finch. And even then ... look at the grass medians between the sidewalk and pavement between Dudley and Bayview. Plenty of face ... I'd think a lot of people whose front yards are mostly city property won't be happy. But I don't think that would be a real issue.

Looking at the cities mapping tool - http://map.toronto.ca/imapit/iMapIt.jsp?app=TOMaps, hmm, it may be narrow than 36 metres, but it's at least 30 metres - same or wider than St. Clair. The property lines seem to be wider than the sidewalks.

Too many residences there along Finch for it not to be a real issue.
It's not their property, the city already owns it - no different than a road widening. Though there's so much grass between the sidewalk and roadway, I expect that for the most part, they can simply work from sidewalk edge to sidewalk edge ... that looked liike about 28 metres or so looking at the mapping website.

Though the whole discussion is beside the point, Finch East from Yonge to Bayview is designated as an Avenue in the City Plan ... so any single residential units along there have their days numbered already.

No, LRT is not needed on Finch East. It'd be a huge waste of a billion dollars that replaces a functional bus route with something that the TTC has proven to be not fully competent at operating, something that will result in lower frequencies (and Finch's high frequency does attract riders), and it'd be a massive infrastructural overkill on a route that is not as affected by traffic as almost any other major arterial route.

Finch may be designated an Avenue between Yonge and Bayview, but the detached houses are being replaced by nothing other than townhouses, so, in fact, Avenueization will result in ever *more* people along that stretch ready to oppose the road widening that would accompany the bus replacement. Finch East has no real Avenues potential and aside from Seneca and the clusters at Warden and McCowan, there isn't anything on Finch, which severely limits future ridership growth and preempts worries about future traffic congestion. In 20-30 years, the population along Finch will either stagnate or go down. Finch East's high ridership is largely a product of people in the area having no other transit options and is already boosted quite a bit by people transferring from N/S routes that take forever to get to the subway.

Speed and capacity can be improved on the 39 by shifting to partial (or more) Rocket service. Transit funding is far, far better spent on extending Sheppard and beefing up non-existent GO service...the Stouffville line doesn't even stop at Finch. The only argument for LRT on Finch East is that it should be well used, but when buses can handle the route, why replace them? There's many other places that need an infrastructural solution to their transit problems. Finch East is not one of them.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with a Finch LRT along both east and west.

What I really HATE is having an LRT on Finch West and on Sheppard East and trying to combine them into some kind of Frankenstein monster LRT route.

I'd prefer finishing the Sheppard Subway from Downsview to STC, and then there you go, you have a crosstown route.

Looking at the cities mapping tool - http://map.toronto.ca/imapit/iMapIt.jsp?app=TOMaps, hmm, it may be narrow than 36 metres, but it's at least 30 metres - same or wider than St. Clair. The property lines seem to be wider than the sidewalks.

I've made some measurements for Finch East (between Yonge and Don Mills) using that tool. Distances between the actual buildings are OK:

East of Yonge: 30 m
East of Willowdale: 38 m
East of Winlock (near Bayview): 39 m
East of Alamosa (near Leslie): 50 m
West of Linus Rd (near Don Mills): 62 m

However, distances between the property lines are quite a bit smaller:

East of Yonge: 26 m
East of Willowdale: 28 m
East of Winlock (near Bayview): 25 m
East of Alamosa (near Leslie): 36 m
West of Linus Rd (near Don Mills): 35 m

So, there will be a significant property impact if that LRT gets built.

However, distances between the property lines are quite a bit smaller:

East of Yonge: 26 m
East of Willowdale: 28 m
East of Winlock (near Bayview): 25 m
East of Alamosa (near Leslie): 36 m
West of Linus Rd (near Don Mills): 35 m

So, there will be a significant property impact if that LRT gets built.
I've been checking a few locations and I'm consistently getting a minimum of 27 metres. Which is exactly what I'm getting on on St. Clair between Yonge and Avenue Road.

Not seeing the issue here ...

Last edited:

Back