News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 953     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Fate of the SRT

What do you believe should be done about the SRT?

• Total voters
If transit lines are going to be branched out across the NE, the only transfer point that makes any sense is STC. This is totally undeniable. Anything else is an affront to good planning and common sense.

No kidding. Can't we worry about millions of people in the central parts of the city before we start spending billions of dollars on RTs to exurbs that don't exist yet? I sincerely hope that's not what Metrolinx has in store for Toronto, or this city is s.c.r.e.w.e.d.

I'm surprised and disappointed that this poll has had so many views but my Poll #2 hasn't :(

Guess I should wait a bit longer for Poll #3.

I think I'll tabulate the results soon.

If you were being serious, wouldn't a place as far away as Seaton be better served by regional rail?

Why can't we do both? Frequent trains along the CP rail line to downtown, with RT service to Scarborough Centre.

No kidding. Can't we worry about millions of people in the central parts of the city before we start spending billions of dollars on RTs to exurbs that don't exist yet? I sincerely hope that's not what Metrolinx has in store for Toronto, or this city is s.c.r.e.w.e.d.

Failing to plan for the future is what got us into this mess in the first place. I respect your opinion, but no matter how great we build a network in scarborough it will be pointless if 200,000 people from Markham and Pickering keep driving across the border.

Forgive me trying to AVOID problems before they start...

My plan for Sheppard + Danforth Subways

2319759687_9447702d2c_b.jpg

Danforth Stations: Midland, Brimley (@ Eglinton), Lawrence East (@ McCowan), Scarborough Centre

Sheppard Stations: Victoria Park North, Warden North, Kennedy North, Brimley North, McCowan, Scarborough Centre

Anything that doesn't limit itself to enclosure at the Scarborough Centre's fine by me, though for a little more mileage you'd hit Malven Gates (Sheppard-Markham transit terminal, the Midtown Seaton GO line) and Centennial College- the #1 major commuter destination linked by bus to the Town Centre.

Anything that doesn't limit itself to enclosure at the Scarborough Centre's fine by me, though for a little more mileage you'd hit Malven Gates (Sheppard-Markham transit terminal, the Midtown Seaton GO line) and Centennial College- the #1 major commuter destination linked by bus to the Town Centre.

I think LRT would be great for connecting STC to Centennial :)

I would support extending the BD subway north, but it's just fantasy at this point. It ain't happening unless Dalton personally intervenes and orders a subway EA, and even then it's doubtful the boring machines will come.

Now I support axing the Morningside LRT north of UOTS. I could accept refurbishing if they extend the line to Malvern instead of the current plan of bumfuk nowhere. However, this won't fly as Malvern residents will likely go nimby over the inherant noisiness of ICTS technology. For this reason I prefer conversion to LRT, and perhaps they could short-turn one in three trains at STC to concentrate demand. Perhaps at rush hour they could run non-stop Kennedy-STC trains since a large proportion of people take the train to STC and transfer to bus anyways. I think it's possible, since in Vancouver in the past some skytrains skipped low-traffic stations to create express service.

21349664hd6.png

urbanfan89: You can't just zoom past Lawrence East station and pretend 10,000 daily rides don't exist. This is about 50% more rides than Centennial College generates, by the way, dentrobate.

Why can't we do both? Frequent trains along the CP rail line to downtown, with RT service to Scarborough Centre.

Failing to plan for the future is what got us into this mess in the first place. I respect your opinion, but no matter how great we build a network in scarborough it will be pointless if 200,000 people from Markham and Pickering keep driving across the border.

Forgive me trying to AVOID problems before they start...

You're actually serious...wow.

A Seaton-STC connection will be completely unnecessary. It's the kind of line that should stay in the realm of fantasy maps. Seaton will have stronger connections to Pickering and Markham than Scarborough: BRT to Liverpool & Kingston and over to Viva/Cornell will be more than sufficient to access Pickering Town Centre and Markville.

Did you figure that since the RT *must* go to Malvern (even though only a minority of RT riders live in Malvern!), we might as well go all the way to Seaton? That's a half hour ride to STC, and the extension will cost god knows how much money...a billion? If a few thousand people in Seaton need access to some random point in the 416, they can take the GO line to Agincourt station or Malvern station and connect to any number of buses. The whole point of transforming GO is to improve suburban travel, to ensure people don't need to travel for dozens and dozens of kilometres on slower vehicles. Like, just look at a map: Durhamites can get off the GO train at Eglinton & Bellamy and be taken away on the Eglinton line. This is really basic stuff, here.

Also, if you wanted to connect Markham with the 416, you'd do it along McCowan, not through some two lane road through the Rouge Park to an RT extension. McCowan and Warden are good places for LRT and when included with the Yonge extension, Stouffville line improvements, and Viva Green, it'll mean Markham will be seamlessly connected with the 416.

So you think exurbs deserve gold-plated transit at the expense of dense urban areas...I respect your opinion (hey, I walked through a farm to get to high school), but I'm sorry, rejecting a 5km subway extension to a massive node but supporting a much more expensive RT extension through more than 10km of greenbelt to serve an unbuilt exurb is just...unbelievable.

I think that you make some very good points, and some points I respectfully disagree with.

I will say this though:

I believe everywhere should be blessed with good quality transit. Nowhere in my post did I say that the boondocks deserve transit at the expense of the inner city. In addition, I don't think that anything i've proposed is exclusive of a subway expansion.

All I'm saying is that Markham, Durham and Seaton should see a direct connection to Scarborough Town Centre IN addition to getting downtown.

Even with MoveOntario, money doesn't grow on trees...an RT extension through the Rouge Park to Seaton would be an incredible waste of money. There's absolutely no way to justify it. STC needs a one-seat side to Seaton before downtown? C'mon.

Even with MoveOntario, money doesn't grow on trees...an RT extension through the Rouge Park to Seaton would be an incredible waste of money. There's absolutely no way to justify it. STC needs a one-seat side to Seaton before downtown? C'mon.

You can have your vision, and I can have mine. That doesn't mean we either of us are wrong.

Back