News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 996     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 371     0 

Fate of the SRT

What do you believe should be done about the SRT?

• Total voters
Wheres the "replace it with a bus route" option? I know of at least one other person who would support that.

If we can't have a bus route, then I guess we 'ought to go with the subway.

Visions should be reasonable though, otherwise they're idle fantasy.

I don't think mine is unreasonable. Its one of many options we should consider for the future.

Failing to plan for the future is what got us into this mess in the first place. I respect your opinion, but no matter how great we build a network in scarborough it will be pointless if 200,000 people from Markham and Pickering keep driving across the border.

I completely agree, RedRocket, but I don't think an RT extension is the best way to resolve that. First of all, it's important to note that most people in Pickering are well south of the area we're talking about, and are far better served by improved service along the Lakeshore GO corridor. Likewise, Markham Rd (despite the name!) is far from the best corridor to serve Markham. As for connecting Seaton to STC, a reasonable goal, I think it could be very easily accomplished by regional rail. Take the subway one or two stops to Agincourt GO (assuming the Sheppard subway is built!), a very quick ride, and then the regional rail up to Seaton, which would be faster than the RT.

Even if you wanted to build it, I don't think that environmental regulations would accept another transportation corridor through Rouge Park.

Wheres the "replace it with a bus route" option? I know of at least one other person who would support that.

If we can't have a bus route, then I guess we 'ought to go with the subway.

Paving over the SRT and routing express buses along it, would be relatively quick, cheap and easy to accomplish. Hence, no one will ever endorse it :rolleyes:.

As for connecting Seaton to STC, a reasonable goal, I think it could be very easily accomplished by regional rail. Take the subway one or two stops to Agincourt GO (assuming the Sheppard subway is built!), a very quick ride, and then the regional rail up to Seaton, which would be faster than the RT.

Using the railway corridor was always the way I thought was best. I suppose the technology really doesn't matter. How about swan boats down the rouge?

I don't think mine is unreasonable. Its one of many options we should consider for the future.

Spending a billion dollars ramming the RT through 10km of the Rouge Park and greenbelt on the assumption that 70,000 future residents of Seaton will either need or use a one-seat ride to STC when the GO train will take them there (and other places in the 416) faster and cheaper is unreasonable. Unreasonable and unjustifiable.

And if the Danforth line is extended to STC, we wouldn't keep the RT...extending it to Seaton is a lousy reason to keep the RT hanging around.

Spending a billion dollars ramming the RT through 10km of the Rouge Park and greenbelt on the assumption that 70,000 future residents of Seaton will either need or use a one-seat ride to STC when the GO train will take them there (and other places in the 416) faster and cheaper is unreasonable. Unreasonable and unjustifiable.

And if the Danforth line is extended to STC, we wouldn't keep the RT...extending it to Seaton is a lousy reason to keep the RT hanging around.

As I said

Using the railway corridor was always the way I thought was best. I suppose the technology really doesn't matter. How about swan boats down the rouge?

Look buddy, I recognize that you don't like my idea. I'm not offended that you don't like it, but with all due respect, your ideas are no more or less valid than anyone else's. Again, with respect, we're not going to get anywhere labeling ideas that don't one persons vision as "unreasonable", "unjustifiable" and "unbelievable".

I read that line but it doesn't answer any questions: are you suggesting the RT run alongside the GO train, or replace the GO train? Both are unreasonable. Now, if you're suggesting Seaton be connected directly to STC by way of a GO line and the RT, that is not unreasonable.

Whichever way is most effective and gives a faster, more comfortable ride.

Sorry to revive a dying horse....but this is an interesting thread...

Where's the hybrid option? Personally, I think the BD subway should be extended to STC. The rest of the SRT should be replaced by LRT and run up to Malvern Town Centre. This would serve Malvern well and keep costs low.

Following this option further, the Morningside LRT could be eliminated or if kept could be short turned at Sheppard and run back down the Malvern SRT ROW back to STC. UTS rail service from STC!

Personally I think the SRT should be dismantled entirely, replaced by subway to STC, and that way we can use blue again on the Eglinton line

Sorry to revive a dying horse....but this is an interesting thread...

Where's the hybrid option? Personally, I think the BD subway should be extended to STC. The rest of the SRT should be replaced by LRT and run up to Malvern Town Centre. This would serve Malvern well and keep costs low.

Following this option further, the Morningside LRT could be eliminated or if kept could be short turned at Sheppard and run back down the Malvern SRT ROW back to STC. UTS rail service from STC!

This is exactly what should be done. Extending the subway to STC and running LRT on from there would not only serve far more riders better, it'd be no more expensive and possibly cheaper than running a rehabbed RT out there. It'd mean a one seat ride from Malvern to STC, and one seat from STC to downtown...a one seat ride from Malvern to Kennedy is useless. It'd be a two seat ride to downtown for virtually everyone who currently uses the RT (including those along McCowan, Ellesmere, and Lawrence; these areas form the bulk of the RT's riders and would otherwise see zero improvements despite a billion and a half spent on the corridor). Better service, better value.

If pressed, councillors and city officials will say that the only real reason this short subway extension wasn't planned is because then every part of the city would have to "get" a subway project...and they say this despite the fact that other areas of the city *are* getting subway projects, and even more areas might get some, or at least will get billions of dollars of other transit improvements.

This is exactly what should be done.

See...us Malvernites are not that unreasonable after all...

I stand by original assertion though, that this is the fault of former city councils who decided that the RT replacement should be a lower priority that the Sheppard subway when the RT was cheaper, quicker to do and probably would have yielded more results in the long run...ie different development patterns in Malvern and Scarborough at large. Sheppard will always be there and would have developed the same way regardless.....an LRT would have met the needs of Sheppard Avenue riders....

Back